Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2021, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by born sleepy
It's the narcissist d-bag special! HI HI HEY HEY LOOKIT ME LOOKIT MEEEEEE HEEEEEYY
What are you on about? You might be thinking of Tesla owners...
Ordpc likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 6:50 am

Reserved: Compact (C, VW Golf w/ GPS)
Assigned: nothing pre-assigned
Received: Seat Ateca (E)
Old Apr 19, 2021, 7:02 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Reserved: Intermediate
Assigned: High-mileage Chevy Equinox that reeked of cigarette smoke.
Received: Took it. No other options. Grrr.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 8:51 am

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Avis PP
Reserved: Compact
Assigned: 2020 Altima base model
Received: App brought up intermediate and full size options but for an upgrade fee. I would have assumed the app would give you upgrade options for free if you were assigned a full size but alas that doesn't seem to have occurred. Just took the Altima to get out of the airport quickly.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 12:12 pm

Confused- if you reserved a Compact and got an Altima, you got a free upgrade?
Old Apr 22, 2021, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Reserved: Full Size (E)
Assigned: Chrysler 300 LTD (G H)
Received: Chrysler 300 LTD - tried to use the app to select another vehicle but all I was getting were 15 passenger vans; went to the counter and was told that the 300 was the only sedan she could provide; gave in and took the 300, sun roof and all.

(edit: apparently I was handed the keys to a 300 LTD - only found out after getting the ebill; also, apparently this car is too smart - I thought I'd filled it the night before and drove ~10 mi to drop off; Avis/car says I was short filling up by ~3 gallons and got billed for $9 for their top off)

David

Last edited by DELee; Apr 26, 2021 at 6:14 pm
Old Apr 24, 2021, 10:08 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Reserved: Full Size
Assigned: Mitsubishi Outlander
Received: Chrysler 300S

When looking around the lot, it was probably the best sedan they had left as I didn't see anything in the lot.

Last edited by safari ari; Apr 24, 2021 at 10:18 am
Old Apr 25, 2021, 1:20 am

Reserved: Intermediate SUV
Assigned: 2021 Subaru Forester
Received: 2021 Subaru Outback

I was OK taking the Forester, as it was pretty new and AWD, though the app tantalized me with similar but better options: new Rogues, CX-5s and Tiguans. I went for the Rogue, which was AWD and which the app told me had Satellite Radio and a million other nice features, but when I got to it- it was kinda dirty and had no Sirius. By that point, the CX-5s and Tiguans were gone, and the app was offering me about 6 different Subaru options, and one was an Outback that was parked right near the Forester I was assigned. t really looked/felt so much better than that dinky little Forester, and because it was in dark gray, it looked nice even though Outbacks have that junky rubber bumper situation. So I grabbed it, and have been pretty pleased- definitely not a base model.

Fwiw, the Avis lot was packed with cars, most looking pretty new. App kept offering me $$ upgrades to older 2020 vehicles, but everywhere I looked, it was brand new Mazda6s, Chrysler300s, Kia Sorrentos, Hyundai Tuscons, etc.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Assigned: New-ish Corolla, and when did a crappy Corolla become an "intermediate"?
Received: Took it. Nothing else available, says Mr No at the counter, despite a relatively full lot at 23:00, same as last weekend. SDF used to give me really nice upgrades but ever since they moved ops to the parking ramp it's been low-end buzzy econoboxes.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by born sleepy
Assigned: New-ish Corolla, and when did a crappy Corolla become an "intermediate"?
Received: Took it. Nothing else available, says Mr No at the counter, despite a relatively full lot at 23:00, same as last weekend. SDF used to give me really nice upgrades but ever since they moved ops to the parking ramp it's been low-end buzzy econoboxes.
The old midsize cars like the Camry and Fusion got bigger and became full-size cars, and tiny cars like the Chevy Spark and Nissan Versa slotted in below at compact, so Corollas and Sentras became midsize.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 11:25 am

Reserved: Full Size
Assigned: Relatively new 2021 Nissan Altima
Received: Brand new 2021 4Runner

The AVIS App is funny. I am not a fan of the 4Runner, but it legit had 1 mile on it, and i wanted that brand new car smell for a quick trip. But it is an OffRoad version- well equipped (leather, remote start, etc) but really drives like a TRUCK, and is super utilitarian. Not Toyota's fault I guess, but why is Avis releasing off road vehicles into the wild of.... Queens?

Interestingly, even though I booked a Full Size, the only other available options were SUVs. For some reason the 2021 4Runner and 2020 Compass were free switches, but to take a 2020 Outlander or a 2019 Santa Fe (with 45k miles!) was a $200 upgrade. Always odd.
Old May 2, 2021, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Assigned: Another f***ing Corolla. Oh no you don't, not for a 14-day rental.
Received: After much keyboard clickity-clackity and friendly banter, a new Toyota Sienna hybrid. Surprisingly non-frumpy, and comfy for that long drive... still a minivan but beats a Corolla by many miles.

Last edited by born sleepy; May 2, 2021 at 8:33 pm
Old May 7, 2021, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Reserved: Compact
Assigned: brand new Ford Explorer Limited

Very nicely equipped and 7.6 miles on the odometer. My first brand new car

-J.
Auto Enthusiast, DELee and kxc262 like this.
Old May 7, 2021, 11:54 am

Reserved: Compact station wagon (H, Ford Focus SW)
Assigned: Mercedes E200
Received: Same. No complaints
Old May 7, 2021, 11:57 am

Reserved: Intermediate SUV (E, Seat Ateca)
Assigned: BMW X1 (G)
Received: VW Tiguan 4x4 - didn't like the Beamer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.