Can't return to SFO

Old Mar 16, 20, 10:02 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MFR
Programs: United, Alaska
Posts: 353
Can't return to SFO

I have a Budget car due to be returned to SFO later this week. The Bay Area is now under a shelter in place order, and the car and I are 400 miles north in Oregon. Does anyone have any experience with how Budget is dealing with cars that are far from where they are supposed to be returned during this time of travel limitations?
PDXpress is offline  
Old Mar 17, 20, 5:27 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,407
The dubiousness of the order notwithstanding, you should try calling the location directly. If they're not open, call the 1-800 number or contact them on Twitter (usually better responses there).
jalves, sdsearch and garykung like this.
m907 is offline  
Old Mar 23, 20, 3:48 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2
What did you do?

Originally Posted by PDXpress View Post
I have a Budget car due to be returned to SFO later this week. The Bay Area is now under a shelter in place order, and the car and I are 400 miles north in Oregon. Does anyone have any experience with how Budget is dealing with cars that are far from where they are supposed to be returned during this time of travel limitations?
Am anticipating due to cancelled flights I will need to return rental car to Bozeman rather than Billings where I picked up. Curious what you were told.
juliej is offline  
Old Mar 23, 20, 4:24 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,407
Originally Posted by juliej View Post
Am anticipating due to cancelled flights I will need to return rental car to Bozeman rather than Billings where I picked up. Curious what you were told.
You should not have any problems in Montana. Call ahead to Budget and they'll quote you the adjusted rate.
m907 is offline  
Old Mar 23, 20, 4:58 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 10,929
Originally Posted by PDXpress View Post
I have a Budget car due to be returned to SFO later this week. The Bay Area is now under a shelter in place order, and the car and I are 400 miles north in Oregon. Does anyone have any experience with how Budget is dealing with cars that are far from where they are supposed to be returned during this time of travel limitations?
I would say you are SOL.

Under the current State order (assuming superseding any county orders), car rental companies are essential. Given SFO is still operational, you practically have no excuse not to return the car.

Also - the order does not actually prohibit travel.

If you are serious about not returning the car as planned, your rental will be most likely repriced to a one-way with mileage limitation. The bill is going to be massive.
m907 likes this.
garykung is offline  
Old Mar 24, 20, 1:47 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,407
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
I would say you are SOL.

Under the current State order (assuming superseding any county orders), car rental companies are essential. Given SFO is still operational, you practically have no excuse not to return the car.

Also - the order does not actually prohibit travel.

If you are serious about not returning the car as planned, your rental will be most likely repriced to a one-way with mileage limitation. The bill is going to be massive.
He might be able to plead his case with customer service though and get it reduced.
m907 is offline  
Old Mar 24, 20, 4:58 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 10,929
Originally Posted by m907 View Post
He might be able to plead his case with customer service though and get it reduced.
Sure if the return will be done in another Bay Area location, maybe even Sacramento.

Out of state? I seriously doubt that would happen.
garykung is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: