Can't return to SFO

Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Can't return to SFO

I have a Budget car due to be returned to SFO later this week. The Bay Area is now under a shelter in place order, and the car and I are 400 miles north in Oregon. Does anyone have any experience with how Budget is dealing with cars that are far from where they are supposed to be returned during this time of travel limitations?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:27 am

The dubiousness of the order notwithstanding, you should try calling the location directly. If they're not open, call the 1-800 number or contact them on Twitter (usually better responses there).
jalves, sdsearch and garykung like this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:48 am

What did you do?

Originally Posted by PDXpress
I have a Budget car due to be returned to SFO later this week. The Bay Area is now under a shelter in place order, and the car and I are 400 miles north in Oregon. Does anyone have any experience with how Budget is dealing with cars that are far from where they are supposed to be returned during this time of travel limitations?
Am anticipating due to cancelled flights I will need to return rental car to Bozeman rather than Billings where I picked up. Curious what you were told.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by juliej
Am anticipating due to cancelled flights I will need to return rental car to Bozeman rather than Billings where I picked up. Curious what you were told.
You should not have any problems in Montana. Call ahead to Budget and they'll quote you the adjusted rate.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by PDXpress
I would say you are SOL.

Under the current State order (assuming superseding any county orders), car rental companies are essential. Given SFO is still operational, you practically have no excuse not to return the car.

Also - the order does not actually prohibit travel.

If you are serious about not returning the car as planned, your rental will be most likely repriced to a one-way with mileage limitation. The bill is going to be massive.
m907 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by garykung
I would say you are SOL.

Under the current State order (assuming superseding any county orders), car rental companies are essential. Given SFO is still operational, you practically have no excuse not to return the car.

Also - the order does not actually prohibit travel.

If you are serious about not returning the car as planned, your rental will be most likely repriced to a one-way with mileage limitation. The bill is going to be massive.
He might be able to plead his case with customer service though and get it reduced.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by m907
He might be able to plead his case with customer service though and get it reduced.
Sure if the return will be done in another Bay Area location, maybe even Sacramento.

Out of state? I seriously doubt that would happen.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.