Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car inventory on App vs AVIS computers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Car inventory on App vs AVIS computers

I had a reservation for an intermediate one-way out of ORD. Upon landing, the app offered me a car with 20K mi on it. I used the option to choose another car and was offered a full-size (2019 Camry with 500mi) and took it. I liked the car (specifically the adaptive cruise control).

I returned exactly two weeks later for another rental. (same intermediate one-way out of ORD). Upon landing, the app offered me a car with 30K mi on it. All the other options it gave me were 20K+ or SUVs. I went to the counter and asked if they could give me a newer car and that I'd be willing to go up to full size. The lady says they are "sold out". I asked about all the cars parked in the lot and she said they are reserved or premium. She looked in the computer and all the ones she had to offer, had more mileage than what I had.

I started walking out to my original car assignment. I checked the app one more time and this time every option it gave me was a 2019 car with low mileage. I chose a 2019 corolla with 1000mi and was on my way. The car was dirty on the outside (salt stains, snow on top).

Did I just get lucky and a bunch of people who had new cars happened to return right after the agent looked? Does the app have access to more inventory than the agent? Do I get more options as I get closer in time or location?
Alan Russell likes this.

Last edited by eng3; Feb 6, 2019 at 3:23 pm
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:29 pm

Maybe the algorithm is choosing high mileage cars to get rid of for a one-way, like an agent often would.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Maybe the algorithm is choosing high mileage cars to get rid of for a one-way, like an agent often would.
But then after talking to the agent, it gave me all lower mileage cars.

And on the first occasion, I got an option for a low mileage car first try.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: AC & HH
I always wonder what the app offers and if it's targeted for certain individuals.

I rented a full-size car a few weeks ago and was offered a Kia Sorento with 35,000km or a Kia Sorento with 34,000km... needless to say I wasn't impressed. I asked to be downgraded to a sedan, denied, then offered 3 upgrades to a base Durango for $60/day (highway robbery), or $20/day for a 300 or Jeep Cherokee.

I also drive my rentals 1,000+ miles per rental which makes me wonder if I'm given the end of life units on the lot.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.