Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Avis Australia - No driving from dusk till dawn in WA, NT parts of SA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:22 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum

I was just looking at renting a car in Australia and I noticed that the terms and conditions have been heavily updated. You are no longer allowed to drive your vehicle at all between dusk or dawn in most of Western Australia, all of the Northern Territory and a small part of South Australia. This on top of all the other extremely stringent rules and it will be difficult to do a roadtrip in an Avis vehicle.

On a positive note, it seems you can now use a 4WD car on some outback routes like the Oodnadatta Track which if I remember correctly was prohibited in the past. Of course the track is worth significantly less if you can't continue into the Northern Territory.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:51 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Yes, many rental firms in Australia impose a curfew between dusk and dawn in Western Australia and the Northern Territory due to the presence of native animals which become more active in the evenings and the potential for collisions with them. Some endangered species such as cassowary (which can grow quite large) are especially at risk from vehicle strikes.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:31 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
This still limits the usability greatly. And yes, driving over cassowarys is bad but limited night driving in WA and NT will not help a bird which only lives in Queensland.
Coathanger and JohnSydney2000 like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:24 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

If only the rental car companies could get the animals to respect the curfew...
DiverDave likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.