Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Budget Rental, what car to expect for Standard Elite SUV (non airport location)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Budget Rental, what car to expect for Standard Elite SUV (non airport location)?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

I need to travel from Indianapolis to Chicago ORD to pickup my In Laws. The journey is 200+ miles one way. I would be taking the rental car from Indianapolis and returning next day same time (about 11 AM). They would have 4 full size bags (50 Lbs) and a carry on and a backpack. It will be 4 adults in the car and a child in car seat.

I checked enterprise and initially thought about getting a minivan but that is coming to $100 or more per day rental.
In budget, I see an option of Standard Elite SUV which comes to under $80 ($71 with costco coupon, I do have costco card).

Can anyone tell me currently, what kind of car to expect if I pick a standard Elite SUV ? I asked budget customer care and they told Ford Explorer or Chevy Traverse, the person at other end did not know of any other car. He did tell me that they are 7 seater though (so middle row will have 3 seats right?). I have never seen any of these cars from inside so no clue how well the room is.

Can anyone suggest me if it is safe to take the Standard Elite SUV from Budget as against a Mini Van from Enterprise for my requirement ?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 1:56 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

A Minivan has far more room for both passengers and luggage than a Standard Elite SUV. The important thing to keep in mind is that while a vehicle like a Ford Exploer can accommodate 7 people:

a) The 3rd seating row comes at the expense of luggage space in back since the rear seats fold up/down to accommodate the extra seats

b) The 3rd row would be quite uncomfortable for an adult over say 5'2" tall. Those two back seats are really meant more for children than for adults. It's fine for short trips, but after a few hours, an adult sitting back there is going to be very uncomfortable.

A Fullsize SUV (FFAR) like a Chevy Tahoe or a Ford Expedition is much closer in size/capacity to a Minivan, but even then, the Minivan is the better choice purely from a capacity standpoint.

In short, based on your needs, the Standard Elite SUV is just not gonna cut it for you. Spend the extra money and upgrade to the MVAR or FFAR.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Actually we intend to fold the 3rd row altogether and use that space for luggage, the car seat will be in middle row in the middle and 2 adults on the sides and me driving and one more adult besides me.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:05 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Then you probably can make it work for you.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:20 am

Wow, Budget gives you a Ford or Chevy for an elite reservation? With National, "standard" refers to the size (e.g. something as big as a Ford Edge) and "elite" gets you something like an Audi or BMW. In this case, a standard elite SUV would be an Audi Q3 or something similar. I never knew classes were so different among the various car rental companies. How would non-loyal renters know what they're getting if each rental car company defines their car classes differently?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Twixboy
. How would non-loyal renters know what they're getting if each rental car company defines their car classes differently?
The "x car or similar" shown next to each class might be a clue. If it says Ford Edge or similar, most people grasp you aren't getting a BMW
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
A Minivan has far more room for both passengers and luggage than a Standard Elite SUV. The important thing to keep in mind is that while a vehicle like a Ford Exploer can accommodate 7 people:

a) The 3rd seating row comes at the expense of luggage space in back since the rear seats fold up/down to accommodate the extra seats

b) The 3rd row would be quite uncomfortable for an adult over say 5'2" tall. Those two back seats are really meant more for children than for adults. It's fine for short trips, but after a few hours, an adult sitting back there is going to be very uncomfortable.

A Fullsize SUV (FFAR) like a Chevy Tahoe or a Ford Expedition is much closer in size/capacity to a Minivan, but even then, the Minivan is the better choice purely from a capacity standpoint.

In short, based on your needs, the Standard Elite SUV is just not gonna cut it for you. Spend the extra money and upgrade to the MVAR or FFAR.

I'm 5"11 and sat in the back of the Durango and Ford explorer and I was OK in the back. Totally livable IMHO
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
The "x car or similar" shown next to each class might be a clue. If it says Ford Edge or similar, most people grasp you aren't getting a BMW

Yes but still. Enterprise and their brands the Nissan Maxima and the Buick LaCrosse as premium cars but Avis has them as luxury cars.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:45 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by Closingracer
Yes but still. Enterprise and their brands the Nissan Maxima and the Buick LaCrosse as premium cars but Avis has them as luxury cars.
​​​​​​
Maxima as luxury at Avis? What location?!?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
​​​​​​
Maxima as luxury at Avis? What location?!?
Actually that's my bad. Hertz does. I remember signing up for one or those programs and asked me what my preferred cars and just checked Hertz and it was them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.