Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX cars & upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2017, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus, National EC, Marriott/SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold
LAX cars & upgrades?

Hi,

I'm about to start a road trip from LAX. I originally reserved an X5 for 9 days for $970, hoping to get a feel of all the hypes people talked about BMW. But the more I researched, the more I feel I will be disappointed if it's poorly equipped. Of all the experiences you have with Avis X5 reservations, how well is the car equipped? I'm not expecting the car fully loaded, but at least have the options one can reasonably expect from a luxury car (like nav, leather, power seat with lumbar support, back up camera etc). Also, can I expect the ride & noise on par with an Audi Q5/A6?

My alternative strategy is to reserve a compact $220 for 9 days, then try to pay my way up to some nicer cars when I get to the lot. I'll be happy to pay extra as long as it's reasonable and will be happy to get one of these luxury SUVs: Caddy XT5, Audi Q5/Q7, Mercedez GLC/GLE, BMW X5, Volvo XC90. How likely will I end up with one and how much extra do you think I will pay for upgrades?

Any other suggestions on how I can get a good SUV for road trip are also appreciated!

Many Thanks! Looking forward to my road trip!!
Old May 13, 2017, 7:23 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

The X5s in the US have been POORLY equipped. Standard, they come with nav, lumbar, leather, etc. But of the ~20 I've had, only 1 has been a true upgrade. It had some sport package with better tires and such. In Canada, the Avis BMWs have been better equipped (heads up displays, etc). The only Q5 I drove, was a basic Avis model and the base X5 is much better.

As for others, the MBs have been more prevalent recently. Ingot upgraded to a GLE in LAX last month. I've only seen 1 XT5 so far(ATL last month). And the XC90 is VERY few and far between (probably seen 2 in 10 months).
Old May 13, 2017, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus, National EC, Marriott/SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
The X5s in the US have been POORLY equipped. Standard, they come with nav, lumbar, leather, etc. But of the ~20 I've had, only 1 has been a true upgrade. It had some sport package with better tires and such. In Canada, the Avis BMWs have been better equipped (heads up displays, etc). The only Q5 I drove, was a basic Avis model and the base X5 is much better.

As for others, the MBs have been more prevalent recently. Ingot upgraded to a GLE in LAX last month. I've only seen 1 XT5 so far(ATL last month). And the XC90 is VERY few and far between (probably seen 2 in 10 months).
Wow great info. Really appreciate it. Do you have a recommendation? I would love to book a GLE but can't do that directly on the website. It seems they don't have too many luxury SUVs (especially those I can reserve)? What car will I most likely get if I walk in with compact reserved and ask for an upgrade (possibly with $$)?

Another choice I have is suck up the $50 cancellation fee (yes I prepaid..) and go to hertz for their XT5 for ~$470. I've heard nice things about the car and their XT5's are well equipped. What do you think?
Old May 14, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: Avis Preferred, Spirit Airlines, Delta Skymiles
Why do you want an X5 particularly? I'd skip it all together, especially in the USA as they are all sDrive35i. BMW had a surplus of sDrive35i X5s that they couldn't sell and they dumped them to Avis.

A bare, no thrills X5 is not a bad car overall. I've had 4 from Avis in the past 12 months, 3 were sDrive35i and no options (LAX and SFO) and the one I had in Canada for a ski trip was xDrive35i (had leather option, HUD, technology package, winter package, comfort access, upgraded HK sound system). Overall, the X5 all together is pretty average - choppy ride, 20.5mpg highway, crap eco-conscious tires that will get stuck in 3 inches of snow even with AWD, awful iDrive that has way too many menus and submenus and absolutely awful seats. I'm 6'3, 180lbs and these seats were designed for really big butts, I kept rolling around in my seat the entire time.

The XC90 is MILES ahead of the X5 in every single regard and usually they have them in the Avis fleet. Quality, leather, how the seats fit, technology, comfort, you name, the Volvo is better than the X5. All of the Avis XC90s are well equipped too with T6 Momentum.
Old May 14, 2017, 4:52 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Agree that the XC90 is SO much better than the X5. Just don't get stuck in a smaller Volvo SUV as they feel like 1995 technology. I just haven't seen many of them to expect you'd actually get it.

The Tahoe/Yukon is also very nice. I take these over a BMW every time.

As for what to do, that's your money and decision. I'd not pay more than an intermediate price for the X5. If you need an SUV, others are much better. But the XT5 sounds like a good price from Hertz. I'd probably do that if it were me. Especially since I haven't been in one yet and they look nice.
Old May 14, 2017, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaperskiier
Why do you want an X5 particularly? I'd skip it all together, especially in the USA as they are all sDrive35i. BMW had a surplus of sDrive35i X5s that they couldn't sell and they dumped them to Avis.

A bare, no thrills X5 is not a bad car overall. I've had 4 from Avis in the past 12 months, 3 were sDrive35i and no options (LAX and SFO) and the one I had in Canada for a ski trip was xDrive35i (had leather option, HUD, technology package, winter package, comfort access, upgraded HK sound system). Overall, the X5 all together is pretty average - choppy ride, 20.5mpg highway, crap eco-conscious tires that will get stuck in 3 inches of snow even with AWD, awful iDrive that has way too many menus and submenus and absolutely awful seats. I'm 6'3, 180lbs and these seats were designed for really big butts, I kept rolling around in my seat the entire time.

The XC90 is MILES ahead of the X5 in every single regard and usually they have them in the Avis fleet. Quality, leather, how the seats fit, technology, comfort, you name, the Volvo is better than the X5. All of the Avis XC90s are well equipped too with T6 Momentum.
Thank you gaperskiier. Hearing from what you said I plan to give up on the X5 reservation.

I'm by no means fixated on X5. I just wanted a nice SUV for my road trip. Reasons why I mentioned X5 over and over is first I can only reserve "X5 or similar" on the web directly - no other same tier SUV like xc90 and gle are directly reservable. Plus the factor I just wanted to know why people loved BMW and particularly X5 so much.

X5 from Avis seems like a disappointment for the price to me from both of you guys description. I'll probably change to a compact reservation and see what will happen there. Or give up my $50 and get an XT5 at Hertz.

Lesson learned - never prepay unless 100% sure you will not change your mind.

Last edited by RRRun; May 14, 2017 at 5:47 am
Old May 14, 2017, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Agree that the XC90 is SO much better than the X5. Just don't get stuck in a smaller Volvo SUV as they feel like 1995 technology. I just haven't seen many of them to expect you'd actually get it.

The Tahoe/Yukon is also very nice. I take these over a BMW every time.

As for what to do, that's your money and decision. I'd not pay more than an intermediate price for the X5. If you need an SUV, others are much better. But the XT5 sounds like a good price from Hertz. I'd probably do that if it were me. Especially since I haven't been in one yet and they look nice.
Thank you IAHtraveler. I wanted to try XC90 even more than the X5, just from your words I feel I'd be lucky to get one.

Aren't Tahoe/Yukon a bit too large? I'll probably skip these two due to size as we only have two people. Will definitely try them when I have a larger group.

Can I expect to be upgraded to a nice SUV ~$500 in total if I reserve a compact at $200? I know it's a very YMMV situation but by a large chance would I likely get one? I will be perfectly happy if they can give me an Ford Edge at least, anything lower might be a pass. P.S. I will be there this coming Wednesday afternoon if timing is a factor.

Thanks again.

Last edited by RRRun; May 14, 2017 at 5:53 am
Old May 14, 2017, 12:46 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by RRRun
Can I expect to be upgraded to a nice SUV ~$500 in total if I reserve a compact at $200? I know it's a very YMMV situation but by a large chance would I likely get one? I will be perfectly happy if they can give me an Ford Edge at least, anything lower might be a pass. P.S. I will be there this coming Wednesday afternoon if timing is a factor.
Tax at LAX is about 25%, so $500 total would be about $400 base, or ~$45/day.

You should be able to get an upgrade to a reasonable SUV for that price. Maybe not one of the higher-end SUVs, but something like an Edge is virtually a certainty at that price. Nothing is ever guaranteed, of course, though.

Agents work on commission and are permitted to negotiate the upgrade price (within certain parameters, depending on local management). One key is to not look like you're too interested in the upgrade and to make it seem that price is a big object for you. Statements like, "Well, I might be interested in something like a Ford Edge if the upgrade cost is cheap" and "Wow, that's a lot more expensive than what I'd budgeted" will tell the agent that if they want to make the sale, they're going to have to bring the price down.

If the Hertz XT5 is bookable without a cancellation penalty, maybe book that as a backup, go to Avis and try your luck there, and if they can't work a deal for you, ask the agent to cancel it and go to Hertz. (I don't know how that idea would work with the fact you've prepaid, since we don't deal in prepaid rates--you'll want to be sure you won't be forfeiting more than the aforementioned $50 cancellation fee by canceling it at the counter.)
Old May 14, 2017, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Tax at LAX is about 25%, so $500 total would be about $400 base, or ~$45/day.

You should be able to get an upgrade to a reasonable SUV for that price. Maybe not one of the higher-end SUVs, but something like an Edge is virtually a certainty at that price. Nothing is ever guaranteed, of course, though.

Agents work on commission and are permitted to negotiate the upgrade price (within certain parameters, depending on local management). One key is to not look like you're too interested in the upgrade and to make it seem that price is a big object for you. Statements like, "Well, I might be interested in something like a Ford Edge if the upgrade cost is cheap" and "Wow, that's a lot more expensive than what I'd budgeted" will tell the agent that if they want to make the sale, they're going to have to bring the price down.

If the Hertz XT5 is bookable without a cancellation penalty, maybe book that as a backup, go to Avis and try your luck there, and if they can't work a deal for you, ask the agent to cancel it and go to Hertz. (I don't know how that idea would work with the fact you've prepaid, since we don't deal in prepaid rates--you'll want to be sure you won't be forfeiting more than the aforementioned $50 cancellation fee by canceling it at the counter.)
Thanks! I will have a hertz res for back up but I don't think I can cancel without additional penalty. If I can, the penalty seems meaningless, but I'll try if it comes to it.

Agreed Edge should be no problem as long as they have it. Now it comes to what other premium to luxury SUVs I could get.

Anyone familiar with LAX can chime in? What luxury SUVs Avis LAX carry the most?
Old May 14, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Spirit Airlines, Delta Skymiles
I think you'd be ok with a Tahoe and I'd honestly recommend them. They are LT trim, sometimes LTZ with leather, nav, blindspot, Bose.

LAX is tricky, a lot of one off types in that fleet - luxury SUV wise, I've seen Escalades, QX80, Navigator, GLS450 and a Lexus LX570 (my most favorite SUV of all time - only seen one ever and it was reserved). You would most likely get Navigator, QX80, GLS450 or X5 depending on class you booked.

Out of all of them, Navigator is severely outdated, it is something out of mid 2000s that Ford keeps pushing out and the GLS450 is worse than an X5 is nearly all regards.
Old May 15, 2017, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

I think you'd be ok with a Tahoe and I'd honestly recommend them. They are LT trim, sometimes LTZ with leather, nav, blindspot, Bose.

LAX is tricky, a lot of one off types in that fleet - luxury SUV wise, I've seen Escalades, QX80, Navigator, GLS450 and a Lexus LX570 (my most favorite SUV of all time - only seen one ever and it was reserved). You would most likely get Navigator, QX80, GLS450 or X5 depending on class you booked.

Out of all of them, Navigator is severely outdated, it is something out of mid 2000s that Ford keeps pushing out and the GLS450 is worse than an X5 is nearly all regards.
I never knew Tahoe and Yukon can be this good. I will definitely try them in the future but for this time I've decided to swallow the $50 penalty and go with hertz. Hope XT5 is as good as it looks! Thanks again everyone.
Old May 16, 2017, 4:46 am

Programs: BA Gold

That explains a few things. I had a X5 back in November out of Texas, and I thought it was strange that it was spec'd as a 2WD, especially after I got it stuck in sand assuming I had 4WD under me. It took an hour to trying to dig it out, realising that was a lost cause, and waiting until someone passing buy could tow us out!

Apart from that I thought it was fine, the engine had enough power for it to be reasonably fast for a large SUV, over 3k miles gave back decent mileage, and thought it was pretty comfortable, even the seats and I am average sized guy. I have driven BMW's ever since I learn't to drive, my own/friends/parents cars (a 1980's E30 3 series was the first car I ever drove, and 5 seconds later almost sent through a fence - I wasn't even a teenager and my dad thought it was a good idea to teach me to drive in his small office carpark....), but I dislike large vehicles, unless I really have a need for them. But after 2 weeks I actually grew to like the X5. Although I would take a 5 series over one anyday, unless I was going offroad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.