Community
Wiki Posts
Search

rent for a year

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2017, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

rent for a year

anyone ever rent a car for a year? Avis seems to be the cheapest (normally use hertz).

Am I stuck with a crappy car or can I upgrade frequently?
Old Mar 6, 2017, 7:19 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

We have a number of customers that have rented for 6-12 months. Typically they make you come back every 30 days so they can check the mileage and perform any necessary maintenance. They may also want to close out your existing contract and open a new one. You would have the option of switching vehicles at that time.

What we usually recommend though is to only rent for 30 days at a time for a few reasons:

1. Typically you can find coupns for $50 off a monthly rental. If you rent a month at a time, you can apply them each and every time, but if your contract is for 2+ months, the $50 comes off only once, so over a year, the savings can be as much as $550

2. By setting up 12 1-month rentals, AutoSlash can continue to shop for better deals on rentals 2-12 while you are in month 1, 3-12 in month 2, etc. Additionally, we may be able to find a better deal on a higher or alternate vehicle class.

Feel free to PM us here or email [email protected] and we'd be happy to assist.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Mar 11, 2017 at 5:55 am
Old Mar 10, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: American Ex Plat, Avis Presidents, Hertz - Preidents Circle, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
We have a number of customers that have rented for 6-12 months. Typically they make you come back every 30 days so they can check the mileage and perform any necessary maintenance. They may also want to close out your existing contract and open a new one. You would have the option of switching vehicles at that time.

We we usually recommend though is to only rent for 30 days at a time for a few reasons:

1. Typically you can find coupns for $50 off a monthly rental. If you rent a month at a time, you can apply them each and every time, but if your contract is for 2+ months, the $50 comes off only once, so over a year, the savings can be as much as $550

2. By setting up 12 1-month rentals, AutoSlash can continue to shop for better deals on rentals 2-12 while you are in month 1, 3-12 in month 2, etc. Additionally, we may be able to find a better deal on a higher or alternate vehicle class.

Normally I would slam blatant marketing on Flyer Talk but your advise was very sound and the service you offer is a benefit to the op. Good job.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by jdl123
anyone ever rent a car for a year? Avis seems to be the cheapest (normally use hertz).

I'm on my 13th month and I renew every 30 days they require it unless I do a mini lease but then I wouldn't get the side perks like day vouchers or preferred points, you lose one I just forget which it is.

I almost always get upgraded, I book a full and got a Lincoln MKZ for Jan/Feb a Cadillac XTS for Dec/Jan a Ford Explorer for Nov/Dec A Durango for Oct/Nov, I forget what I had before that. But this time I got a Malibu and I felt so sad and alone but there are a lot of events going on in the city right now so a manger told me to come back Sunday and he will switch me.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by travelingbob
Normally I would slam blatant marketing on Flyer Talk but your advise was very sound and the service you offer is a benefit to the op. Good job.
Why would you slam a forum sponsor?
Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:10 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by Twixboy
Why would you slam a forum sponsor?
We don't actually sponsor the forum, but we do try to give back with good solid advice whenever we can.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jdl123

To go beyond what AutoSlash mentioned about 12 1-month rentals: A few years ago I was "between cars" for an unknown number of months (ended up being about 3 months or so). I did twice-weekly rentals from my nearby airport, making a slight overlap in time and always choosing a different class (one class different) of car for alternate rentals (so Avis wouldn't try to "merge" my back-to-back rentals, the way hotels can merge back to back separate reservations). I earned mileage bonuses on each of those rentals over those 3 months or so, which was quite a lot miles by that point. (I was using a promo which required 3+ days, so alternating between 3 day rentals and 4 day rentals worked.)

Anyway, the point is, you can divide the year up pretty much any way you want, whatever the reason you want.

And you're much more likely to be able to upgrade on shorter rentals than longer ones, I would think. And you're much more likely to be able to upgrade a total rental than just part of one, I would think.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Another reason to have different rentals every 30 days is because you can sign up for American Express primary rental insurance ($20-$25 per rental), but it is capped at 30 days.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: Hilton, IHP, American, United, Lufthansa
Originally Posted by AutoSlash

What we usually recommend though is to only rent for 30 days at a time for a few reasons:

Good info.

Is it always necessary to go back to the original location or can other locations do the 30 day check?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.