Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Manual (Stick Shift) Challenger Rental from Budget

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Manual (Stick Shift) Challenger Rental from Budget

I will be travelling in April and when looking for a rental car I was able to book a "Dodge Challenger Coupe (or similar)" through Budget with a manual transmission.

I was excited to be able to find a manual rental but I am skeptical that is what it will be when I arrive to pick it up.

A few reasons for my skepticism are:
-Given the relatively low cost (similar to mustang V6), I expect this car to be a Challenger V6.
-Challenger V6(SXT) models are not produced with manual transmissions.
-Can I really be getting a stick shift Challenger V8 (R/T) for a few dollars more than a V6 Mustang? Not only is it larger seating 5 instead of 4, but also much more powerful.
-When I called Budget for more info I was informed that, despite the "or similar" designation, the car I would be receiving is a Challenger stating, "when you book a special car like this, you get exactly that".

What do you all expect me to find when I get to Budget? A manual Challenger R/T or an Auto Challenger V6? Can anyone think of a better way for me to get info on this?

Thanks!
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:41 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

If this is in the U.S. it will definitely be an automatic transmission. Manual transmission cars are essentially nonexistent in U.S. rental fleets.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FlyerTalk, rewind.

You need to explain where it is that you're renting a car that claims to be a manual.

For example, although manual transmission cars are very rare in the USA, they are very common in many other parts of the world. For example, search for rental cars in San Diego, and you're not likely to find any manual transmission cars. Search right across the border in Tijuana, and you're likely to find tons of manual transmission cars.

Also:

Originally Posted by rewind
I was able to book a "Dodge Challenger Coupe (or similar)" through Budget with a manual transmission.
That "or similar" means you're quite possibly not getting an actual Dodge Challenger Couple (V6 or V8 or any other kind), but rather some other brand car that Budget considers to be in the same category. Ie, Budget is only telling you that Dodge Challenger Coupe is an example car in that category.

So don't focus too much on what configurations a Dodge Challenger Coupe comes in, when the car you're getting may be another brand.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jan 17, 2017 at 2:58 pm
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: HHonors
I rented a manual Dodge Challenger with Scat Pack at Budget MCI (Kansas City) recently. They have both manual Mustangs and Challengers. I couldn't believe it when they asked if I wanted a manual transmission. And the trim levels they had on these cars weren't just base models. I was told the franchise owner has a lot of choice in their fleet. I had a blast with the almost 500hp 6-speed Challenger for the weekend for around $100. Highly recommend you check them out if in the area. Car I rented had under 300 miles on it.

Last edited by lvnloud; Dec 4, 2017 at 5:03 pm Reason: Added company
Old Nov 29, 2017, 1:35 pm

^^^Wow that is hard to believe. And in MCI (my old stomping grounds) no less!

What company did you rent from?
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
3 weeks ago I reserved a car from Budget at MCI and all 3 cars in Group 2 were manual. Since I refused those, they allowed me to move up to an automatic Camero

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.