Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Letter of complaint: Avis YYZ... what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2003, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Letter of complaint: Avis YYZ... what do you think?

Here is the text of a letter I just emailed to Avis YYZ. I was hoping to let you guys vet it before I sent it, but I wanted to get it out today. I am royally pissed off about this. I personally think it is a bit long but I wanted to include all info I considered to be pertinent. Any thoughts?

Jeff

----------------------------------------

January 30, 2003

YYZC2
Toronto, ON
Wizard: XXXXXX
Mobile: XXX-XXX-XXXX

Patricia Sylvestre
Customer Service Manager
Aviscar Inc.
1 Convair Drive East
Etobicoke, ON
M9W 6Z9

Dear Ms. Sylvestre:

I am writing to you in regard to an extremely unpleasant experience I had as a customer at your Terminal 2 location. Because of this incident, I have returned my Preferred Select card to Yvonne, an Avis employee, I no am no longer an Avis customer, have cancelled all my forthcoming Avis reservations, and will not direct any of my personal or corporate business to Avis in the future unless this situation is resolved to my satisfaction. Allow me to explain.

Yesterday, I picked up a reserved vehicle from Terminal 2 after arriving from Halifax. After exiting the garage I noticed the gas tank was just above half full. As I have previously had this problem and continued on with my rental in the past, reporting the problem at drop-off time and being accused of lying, I decided to return the car immediately to report the problem. At that time I asked to speak with the manager on duty, as this was a recurring problem and I wanted to make absolutely sure that the gas level was noted correctly. I parked the car in front of the Avis kiosk and asked to speak with the manager. The clerk asked me to move the car. I responded that he could have the car moved if he liked and I put the keys on the desk. He had a car jockey move the car to a parking spot. I spoke with a pleasant lady who I believe was named Yvonne and we had a discussion about the gas level and my previous problems with gas charges. The discussion evolved to incorporate the quality of the service at Avis YYZ, and we also discussed a persistent lack of recognition of my Preferred Select status at YYZ and what I perceived to a reduced standard of service given to me due to my young age (I am 23 but look younger). After all was said and done, the matter was resolved without voices having been raised and I continued with my rental. Upon returning the car today, I had what was unquestionably the worst Avis experience I have ever had.

I returned the car at approximately 1 pm today, as I was departing on a 2 pm flight to Vancouver. I parked and exited the car and was being served by a gentleman who I believe was named Abdi and I let him know about the gas problem and that I had been previously assured that I would not be charged a gas fee when I returned the car at the previous unfilled gas level. Abdi was serving me politely and efficiently when an Avis employee, a Caucasian man with an earring and a long grey beard, approached both of us and asked me if I was the man who “threw a set of keys at one of our employees yesterday”.

Somewhat shocked, but believing I knew what he was referring to, I responded “Yes”. The employee, who I now know as John, continued by saying that he didn’t appreciate my behavior and that Avis would be contacting my employer about the incident to tell them so (This rental was for personal reasons and did not utilize my corporate AWD).

At that comment I was completely infuriated. It amounted to intimidation and I believe was designed to be a threat. I must mention that although Abdi was most definitely a witness to this exchange, he remained composed and polite throughout.

Upon completing my transaction, I spoke again with Yvonne at the terminal counter, told her that I had not much time to catch my flight, but let her know I was upset with this employee and thought he was way out of line. She was again polite and told me she would speak with the employee. I then checked in for my flight, which was oversold and I volunteered to be bumped back to the 4 pm flight, as what I really wanted was an apology from this man, so I proceeded back downstairs to the Avis counter to get one.

When I arrived, Yvonne had summoned the man and she invited behind the counter to discuss the issue together. From the get-go, John was hostile and unapologetic. The crux of the conversation as he wish to steer it was more answer in the affirmative when he asked me if I “threw” the keys at the clerk the previous day. I explained that although I was the man involved in the previous day’s occurrence, my “Yes” answer to his question did not necessarily indicate that I agreed that I threw anything. John then proceeded to tell me that I was “lying” and utilized the words “lying” or “liar” to describe me several times. He refused to discuss his attitude towards me or the disrespect that he demonstrated. I was furious and obviously was not going top get anywhere, so I finally stated what was my only argument: that what may have transpired previously was none of his business, that although he may have a poor opinion of me, as a customer I am entitled to at least a façade of respect, and finally, even if he felt he must get his feeling off his chest, doing so while a representive of Avis was not appropriate. With this, John did express regret for the first time.

Finally, while Yvonne would not apologize on behalf of Avis, due to the fact that she did not have all the facts, when I asked her if it was a common day-to-day occurrence for customers to be advised on matters of personal decorum by employees, she said it was not.

Ms. Sylvestre, I am still suffering from the effects of jet lag and I am sure that some details of this incident have been omitted or misconstrued by me, and will surely be challenged by John, should he be asked for his version of events. I do not wish to get into an argument of semantics, as he previously attempted. However, I believe that the following is unquestionable: that John’s comments to me were rude and inappropriate, that I should not have been subjected to them, and that the aim of his actions was to intimidate me into not being as “vocal” a customer in the future. I believe that in all, his actions justify disciplinary action.

Ms. Sylvestre, I don’t consider myself a “difficult” customer. I rarely communicate with a company whose services I utilize. It is highly coincidental that I had issues with Avis on both ends of this rental. However, I do expect a certain level of service from a major company like Avis and I am highly disappointed with this matter. I am asking for a written apology, either from John or written on John’s behalf, to be sent to my Toronto address. My main residence is in Halifax but that address is confidential. I am also asking for any fees connected with this rental to be revoked, and a complimentary rental be extended to me. Otherwise, please destroy my Preferred Select card and send me written confirmation that my Wizard profile has been destroyed.

If you require any further clarification on any of these points, please feel free to call me on my mobile phone. However, I will be overseas from February 1 to February 10, and from February 20 to March 7 and therefore unreachable by phone, but you can e-mail me. I also consider e-mail to be suitable “written” correspondence.

Please respond to this letter as quickly as possible.

Yours truly,
YYZC2
Old Jan 30, 2003, 4:01 pm

I have some "problems" with this "event" and would like to hear what Abdi, Yvonne, John have to say about this.
Next, I like to avoid such happenings. I am friendly to the agents, workers .., however, I don't get in any discussions with them. Live is short, why spent time arguing with underpaid, frustrated employees.
When I see that gas is missing, I drive to the next gas station and fill the tank. I keep the bill (with time stamp etc.), than AVIS can later explain me how that car "used" x gallons in 5 minutes or so!?! Never had a problem!
If and when you feel better, send the letter. Otherwise just forget the whole episode.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 4:07 pm

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
AVIS at YYZ has to have one of the worst operations I know of. The cars are never ready, they are always dirty, they are understaffed and the staff they have don't care....that simple.

I have had to wait over an hour for a vehicle on more than one occasion when travelling from Japan with my wife and kids....you can imagine the scene! It won't happen again.

Although, choice is limitedat YYZ. One Hertz agent once said to me that she hated foreigners who thought they spoke English but couldn't...referring to me. I had used my Swiss drivers license, but in fact I'm a Brit. It was after that incident I started using AVIS. Out of the frying pan into the fire...

So....who do I try out next?
Old Jan 31, 2003, 6:30 am

YYZC2 YGM
Old Jan 31, 2003, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Follow-up:

Wow! Was contacted by the Director of Business Development for Avis today. He put me in touch with Ms. Sylvestre, who claimed not to have recieved the e-mail I sent her (hmmmmmm...), and seemed to have been cajoled into calling me and not too keen on staying on the phone too long... she hurriedly agreed to all my requests and assured me the incident would not be repeated. Fair Enough.

Ironically, it appears action was taken on this matter as a result of my posting here on Flyertalk, and not the direct contact with the company... anyhow, Avis has done everything they could be expected to do in this situation, and I will reinstate my relationship with them.

This episode has been my first, and hopefully, last foray into the "complaint zone"... all and all, I'm glad I spoke up, but hope I won't have to do it again.

Thank you, Mr. McWilliams.
Old Feb 5, 2003, 9:38 am

1)did you or did you not "throw" keys at someone? Throwing anything at some underpaid, over-worked car-jockey is still assult.
2) you have some extra time at YYZ so you WENT BACK to the Avis counter for Round 2 until you got your apology from John?
3)not being able to badger an apology from John, you then went after Yvonne, as if she's the offical spokesthingy of Avis Worldwide Enterprises?
4) sounds like there maybe 2 sides to this story. What did happen the other day with Greybeard?

After dealing with the Avis crew many times at YYZ myself over the years, I am surprise to hear such a drama played out with the staff there.
Possible conclusion: monsieur, I think you might have too much testostrone for your own good.
Old Feb 5, 2003, 10:37 am

There are always two sides to any story. This is just one pathetic side. Who is this guy? Throwing keys like a baby? "My main residence is in Halifax but that address is confidential" - who do you think you work for? The CIA? Does this have any relevance to your complaint? "a complimentary rental be extended to me" - ok.. who are you to make demands to this company? You throw keys, escalate a situation, and then demand something out of it because somebody had the decency to point out how childish you were acting? Please.. sounds like this guy needs a "timeout" in the corner for five minutes before he can return to the civilized world.
Old Feb 5, 2003, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Frankly I'm not surprised that you had a run-in with counter staff at an Avis location. While I've not rented from Toronto (or Canada), I have encountered bad attitudes from Avis employees usually the same people week in and week out.

However, I do think you've invested too much energy in persuing this "event" and my feeling is the best solution is to just rent from someone else.
Old Feb 6, 2003, 4:12 pm

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CYYZ:
There are always two sides to any story. This is just one pathetic side. Who is this guy? Throwing keys like a baby? "My main residence is in Halifax but that address is confidential" - who do you think you work for? The CIA? Does this have any relevance to your complaint? "a complimentary rental be extended to me" - ok.. who are you to make demands to this company? You throw keys, escalate a situation, and then demand something out of it because somebody had the decency to point out how childish you were acting? Please.. sounds like this guy needs a "timeout" in the corner for five minutes before he can return to the civilized world.</font>
You may well be right. But I have done none of the above and have still been consistently met with absolutely indifferent service. Actually no, I'll rephrase that: no service. In fact I seem to remember that last time I was there and while waiting, waiting, waiting at an unmanned counter, I noticed a staff bulletin on the notice board which said that two national accounts were in danger of cancelling because of the lack of service and that staff should pay particular care. Why only with them?

But, at the end of the day, I hold management responsible not the poor guys on the front line. If they are understaffed so that there is only one person manning a counter for a whole terminal on a public holiday (all cars booked out) and they don't have enough staff to get cars turned around quick enough, then this is a management problem. I would be fairly cheesed off too if I had to work under these conditions and have to keep apologising to irate customers because they had to wait for me, for their car (which still isn't really clean...please don't look under the rear seat, there are some toys and bits of yesterday's lunch...) or to return a car (because I'm alone and I can't be in two places at once). So, it's really Avis management that needs to get off their duffs and sort that (long-standing and well known)mess out.

[This message has been edited by Snoopy (edited 02-06-2003).]
Old Feb 6, 2003, 9:21 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
I too had to wait over 1 hr for a rental - as a Pref customer too! On another rental, they would not accept my coupon becasue they were too busy!

Of all my Avis rentals (I do about 40/yr), I would rank YYZ at the bottom of the pile with no one near them.

I wish I had another option at YYZ but as noted above, Hertz is not much better.
Old Feb 7, 2003, 2:58 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by YYZC2:
Ironically, it appears action was taken on this matter as a result of my posting here on Flyertalk, and not the direct contact with the company</font>
i'm glad to hear that Avis management reads flyertalk. i would love someone from avis to respond to my posting yesterday considering i sent an email to avis.com over two weeks ago and haven't heard from them (despite the automatic prompt saying i would hear from them in 3 to 5 business days).
Old Feb 7, 2003, 6:34 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
I dropped AVIS and Hertz last year and I now rent with Enterprise Car Rental. Although this is an offsite operation, the service is excellent (coffee, doughnuts), friendly staff and excellent cars. Cheaper too!

Vote with your money and move business. This is how things work in the corporate world.

Dave - Japan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.