Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-use of coupons...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 1999, 7:18 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
Non-use of coupons...

Just out of curiousity, has anyone ever actually used an Avis coupon? I get literally hundreds a year, but every time I I try to use one, they say it does not qualify under my corporate rate. Upgrade, $$$ off, free day or days, each time they tell me the deal is not as good as my company's negociated rate.

This seems like a scam.
Old Apr 27, 1999, 10:11 pm
pgupta011

I have had no luck with Avis coupons either, usually I rent a compact car and Avis coupons are for intermediate cars or higher. On the plus side, they still give 500 miles per rental with BA.

In my experience the most hassle free company for using coupons is Alamo, I have quite often used their one free day or $25 off coupons. An Alamo coupon can be found at:
http://www.clubtripmakers.com/coupons/alamo_free.htm

Old Apr 28, 1999, 12:00 pm
Commander Catcop

AVIS has told me and has told people I work with "SOrry, can't use that coupon." More than two dozen times.

So I tell AVIS: SOrry, you're going to have to try harder to get my business (like taking those DARN coupons!

And it's true About ALAMO. THey take just about anything. Too bad the process of getting a car can be quick or eternity.
Old Apr 28, 1999, 8:27 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
The worst part of using coupons with Avis is that you can't make a reservation on their website using a coupon.

Hertz on the other hand is quite easy to use coupons when making web reservations ...
Old May 5, 1999, 10:58 am
pgupta011

Recently Avis started handing out coupons good for compact cars as well. I just made a reservation for the 3 day Memorial day weekend, getting one day free and paying $45 total (plus taxes/fees) for three days. That works out to about $15/day. And I will be halfway there towards the 4500 mile BA promotion with Avis.

Old May 6, 1999, 9:54 pm

I also have had no luck with Avis coupons. On the other hand, Alamo has taken every coupon that I have showed them. They don't ask about anything, they just take it no matter what.

Hasoose
Old May 28, 1999, 4:41 pm

Maybe I just got lucky, but I had no problem using my "free day" coupon to reserve a full-size AVIS car in San Francisco. It was a stand-alone free day coupon from my Delta's Medallion package.
Old May 28, 1999, 5:04 pm

This past weekend I went to LA on an AC websaver fare. I booked an intermediate 'C' car from Avis at $25/day. I called and was allowed to use my Aeroplan Elite Avis coupon, which gave $5/day for each of the three days. My friend had an Entertainment '99 coupon which gave the third day of a three day weekend free - I just assumed it wouldn't be valid. When we picked up the car, I gave the guy both coupons, and he said I could use the Entertainment coupon, even on the websaver rate, but I couldn't use the Elite coupon as well. So, we got the car for $50 US for three days.. My experience with Avis so far is good....
Old May 29, 1999, 1:09 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
This past weekend at BDL I used two UA car rental certs at Avis to get a free day. My sister, at the same location, used one of the "rent 3 days get one day free" coupons. I have had troubles at other Avis locations in the past so I guess it really is hit or miss.
Old May 29, 1999, 3:12 pm
Original Member

I have used successfully coupons in the last 2 weeks that I got from my Costco membership, ($5/day off weekend, intermediate or full) but rarely use other coupons (1 free in 3) because I usually can do better with Hertz or National, which are my habitual choices. Wanted to get the 5k miles from BA, though.

jl
Old May 29, 1999, 10:48 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
It's good to hear that there ARE acutally people who put the coupons to use.

My original point was as a member of a "corporate rate plan", I'm always told I can't add the cupon discount on top of my already lower corporate rate.

Maybe some companies get a slightly better deal, but It shouldn't disqualify them from the national promotions.....
Old May 30, 1999, 1:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
my understanding of the rules with AVIS are (and I did so 2 years ago):

Combination: Up to six like certificates for three free days.
This zero-tariff beats every corporate rate (but still fees and insurances apply).
Old May 30, 1999, 2:00 pm
In Memoriam: Original Member

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
I recently rented a car in Charleston, WV on a Sunday night for a 5 day period. I gave the agent a "free day" coupon that had a minimum 3 day rental period agreement. When I got to work on Monday morning, my boss told me that he a car for me and to return the rental to the airport on the way home.

Long story short, Avis charged me just $3.05 for the gas usage(12 miles)with no questions asked. Now if they would just partner with US Airways for extra miles.
Old May 31, 1999, 6:05 pm
Original Member

just returned that car at ORD where I used the coupon--I noticed that the car was only 3/4 full when I left the lot. I went ahead and returned it full ($12), and they gave me $20 credit for 1/4 tank for the gas!

Moral of the story--you can arbitrage gasoline in both directions!
Old Jun 1, 1999, 8:46 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Jamiel ~ That's interesting ... their computer probably did that automatically, and they probably have to give the same amount they would pay in cases such as yours.

I wonder why they let a car go out without a full tank though ... were they running low on cars and didn't have time to refuel it? That's something I'd have a tough time believing at ORD though as it seems like they always have 100's of cars sitting on the lot!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.