Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best to get a upgrade at location or prebooked?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2016, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Best to get a upgrade at location or prebooked?

I plan on getting a rental for the weekend, next weekend, for a trip to the beach with my lady that is a 5 hour drive. I'm thinking about renting a BMW x5 or similar size luxury SUV. I travel almost every week but only have 3000 Avis reward points available. When I arrived to St Louis today, I noticed a BMW x5 next to other luxry SUVs with a tag on the mirror saying it only cost $65 extra a day to upgrade... How does that work?

Would it be best to go that route, ala book let's say a intermediate car maybe paid for with the points and then upgrade at the location? Will that work?

Also my work offers a 25% discount on leisure travel... Can I use rewards points with that discount or no?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:56 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by LReyes66
I plan on getting a rental for the weekend, next weekend, for a trip to the beach with my lady that is a 5 hour drive. I'm thinking about renting a BMW x5 or similar size luxury SUV. I travel almost every week but only have 3000 Avis reward points available. When I arrived to St Louis today, I noticed a BMW x5 next to other luxry SUVs with a tag on the mirror saying it only cost $65 extra a day to upgrade... How does that work?

Would it be best to go that route, ala book let's say a intermediate car maybe paid for with the points and then upgrade at the location? Will that work?

Also my work offers a 25% discount on leisure travel... Can I use rewards points with that discount or no?
I'd have to say it's pure luck. To answer your last question, yes you can use the 25% discount (which I'm assuming is in the form of an AWD).

Some will say to just reserve what you want, others like me would try their luck at the airport. But I never need the car I upgrade into, I just like renting cool stuff.

For example, that X5 you saw for $65, might be $95 tomorrow, or $45, you never know.

In my experience, I got an XTS4 with 4 miles on the block for $20 per day extra at JFK (they almost insisted on me taking it), and then last week at IAH they wanted $180 PER DAY extra and wouldn't even think about backing down on the price.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Redwood839
I'd have to say it's pure luck. To answer your last question, yes you can use the 25% discount (which I'm assuming is in the form of an AWD).

Some will say to just reserve what you want, others like me would try their luck at the airport. But I never need the car I upgrade into, I just like renting cool stuff.

For example, that X5 you saw for $65, might be $95 tomorrow, or $45, you never know.

In my experience, I got an XTS4 with 4 miles on the block for $20 per day extra at JFK (they almost insisted on me taking it), and then last week at IAH they wanted $180 PER DAY extra and wouldn't even think about backing down on the price.
Ah i see so the price on the tag varies im guessing on demand/the market. I live in Houston so IAH is my main airport.... im prob going be out of town that week for work and fly back on friday and rent the vechicle for the weekend trip at IAH... hope IAH doesnt charge ridiculous prices liek you mentioned.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Ah i see so the price on the tag varies im guessing on demand/the market. I live in Houston so IAH is my main airport.... im prob going be out of town that week for work and fly back on friday and rent the vechicle for the weekend trip at IAH... hope IAH doesnt charge ridiculous prices liek you mentioned.
I've only been there once, and the rest at HOU. Almost all Avis station have been reasonable with negotiating the price. I'm really nice to them though.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 1:32 pm

I always just book the class I want - even if it means using another firm.

This is why its frustrating that some classes of vehicle are not available for reservation. I want to know I'm driving the class I want before I get there and that it's booked, not chance whether there may or may not be a good deal on an upgrade and whether I may or may not end up driving out in something I don't want.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Redwood839
I've only been there once, and the rest at HOU. Almost all Avis station have been reasonable with negotiating the price. I'm really nice to them though.
does the class booked at reservation matter when upgrading to a vehicle with a specific price tag (like the x5 i saw for $65 more a day) when upgrading? I just made my reservation for the 3 days with my rewards avis points for a intermediate class since it only was 600 points a day.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Foxtbh
I always just book the class I want - even if it means using another firm.

This is why its frustrating that some classes of vehicle are not available for reservation. I want to know I'm driving the class I want before I get there and that it's booked, not chance whether there may or may not be a good deal on an upgrade and whether I may or may not end up driving out in something I don't want.
for 3 days its almost $500 to rent a X5 or similar. Im not exactly sure how it works but if i can make a reservation using points to cover the daily fare, then id be willing to pay the extra $50-70 a day for the x5 which would still be cheaper then the $500 intial online price.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
For me STL is the third worst location for me to get a free upgrade, after PHL and ATL.

I generally agree with the others that it really depends on the staff. Some have managers that won't let cars go out for less than the window price others will negotiate down a bit. I don't pay for upgrades as most of my travel is work related but I've noticed that it's always cheaper to book a base car with my Corp rate and pay the window price upgrade vs. booking a specialty car in advance. Only exception is for a Prius which I can sometimes book for less than or equal to the cheapest econobox they have.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:49 pm

does the class booked at reservation matter when upgrading to a vehicle with a specific price tag (like the x5 i saw for $65 more a day) when upgrading? I just made my reservation for the 3 days with my rewards avis points for a intermediate class since it only was 600 points a day.
Can't help you mate. I always rent Full Size at a minimum. I doubt it though, last time I got a XTS I negotiated 20 extra per day they just gave me a hanger and told me to show it at the exit.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

I gambled hoping I could get a x5 for a cheap price tag upgrade but nope. Nothing was initially available that was a luxury SUV. They originally told me no X5 or Mercedes were available and all the ones on the lot were reserved. They gave me a infinity qx70 but I wasn't happy with it especially at the $125/day price tag. I had another rep help me to exchange and check availability again and some how a X5 showed up as available magically but at the $125/day price tag. Its new so I ain't too mad.

Total from Friday-monday rental will be $508 with xm radio. In hindsight I should have just reserved a X5 from a local Avis cause the original quote was $297. Lesson learned.

I guess the lesser availability is prob contributed to the fact that it's mid March and people are on spring break thus the high rate. But The person who rented the car before me left his agreement in the glove box and when I looked at it he had a rate of $48/day... Looking at that was like salt rubbing on my wounds lol

Last edited by LReyes66; Mar 18, 2016 at 3:58 pm
Old Mar 21, 2016, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Returned the car today, Monday at noon. For giggles I decided to check out the "upgrade lot" at Avis IAH to see if they had choices this time as they didn't on Friday when I was picking up. Kinda wish I didn't check cause they they had fleets or BMW X5s and even mercedez SUVs all with the $75 pricetag to upgrade. I essentially paid $115 ($129 cost - price I paid for intermediate) ... Would have saved $40/day if those were available Friday!

Plan on renting another leisure travel car next month and debating gambling again or just rent from a local Avis.

Last edited by LReyes66; Mar 21, 2016 at 11:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.