Wiki Posts
Search

London Heathrow Rip-off

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2016, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH/*A Gold, BA/OW Emerald, EK Silver, SPG Plat, HH Gold
London Heathrow Rip-off

Beware of the London Heathrow drop-off practices! I dropped off a car earlier today. The very unfriendly drop-off employee claimed that I caused a small dent at the back of the car. He charged me for this small dent in a VW Polo GBP 418 (!!!). This is absolutely insane... I definitely did not cause this dent, but this dent was so small - it was almost impossible to see and I would have never found it when I checked the car.

I would have an insurance that would cover this damager, however, as a principle I want to fight this claim. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good law firm in the UK that could help me with this?

Something similar happened to a friend of mine.

So it seems they systematically rip off customers with no insurance. So please be extremely careful with Avis at London Heathrow and try to avoid them whenever possible!
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:50 am

All UK rental companies (not just Avis) are extremely strict on damage control. If there is damage at the end of the rental, you pay.
What grounds do you intend to fight on? If you look at your contract, you'll see it is issued under English law, and the liability for damage is clearly set out in your contract. The damage sheet you received with the contract sets out what damage is chargeable - are you claiming that this dent doesn't fall within the chargeable category as set out in your agreement?
It is very frustrating, but how do you know the dent didn't happen on your watch? I've had damage when the car was parked - someone must have nudged me. On my watch so I had to pay.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH/*A Gold, BA/OW Emerald, EK Silver, SPG Plat, HH Gold
London Heathrow Rip-off

I agree that fighting the dent might be a challenge, but it was almost impossible to see at check-in. What I should be able to fight is the GBP 418 charge for a small dent. This is just insane and not adequate for a small damage like that.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:28 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
You are on very shaky ground. I sympathise with you totally. Unfortunately you do sign off that the car is undamaged and it is possible that it was when you collected it. It happens also that it is dark and you cannot see properly. I now carry a torch with me - no my husband does I should be exact.

It is possible that someone did this when parking - it makes me very angry. I have a separate insurance to cover me for excess in case this sort of thing happens. Very unfortunate.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 8:17 am
Company Representative, Avis UK

Originally Posted by hoteltraum
Beware of the London Heathrow drop-off practices! I dropped off a car earlier today. The very unfriendly drop-off employee claimed that I caused a small dent at the back of the car. He charged me for this small dent in a VW Polo GBP 418 (!!!). This is absolutely insane... I definitely did not cause this dent, but this dent was so small - it was almost impossible to see and I would have never found it when I checked the car.

I would have an insurance that would cover this damager, however, as a principle I want to fight this claim. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good law firm in the UK that could help me with this?

Something similar happened to a friend of mine.

So it seems they systematically rip off customers with no insurance. So please be extremely careful with Avis at London Heathrow and try to avoid them whenever possible!
Hi There,

I'm Dan the official representative for AvisUK on FlyerTalk.

We always advise customers to inspect the vehicle prior to leaving to ensure they're happy that the condition of the vehicle matches the vehicle damage report. In case of poor lighting, you have until the following day to report any additional marks that you feel were not listed on the damage report.

If you'd like me to follow up your query, please provide reservation number, email address and mobile either via private message here or [email protected]

Anything else, don't hesitate to contact me.

Thanks,

Dan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.