Search

Avis ILM now corporate owned!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2015, 5:07 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Thumbs up Avis ILM now corporate owned!

Much to my delight:

Avis ILM is no longer a franchise, but a corporate facility!! Previously, they only had a Toyota fleet for round-trip rentals (basic Corollas for intermediate & Camrys for full size, other base Toyotas for all other classes) and refused to upgrade most times. Once in a while one (as a CHM) I was able to get a high mileage Avalon on a full reservation, but never an SUV.

Their lot is now full of the usual suspects (Chevys, Fords, Hyundais, Kias, etc). The agent confirmed they are now corporate and are allowed to upgrade folks, can email receipts, etc. I guess Hertz ILM will lose most of my business again.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 12:55 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
The agent confirmed they are now corporate and are allowed to upgrade folks, can email receipts, etc.
The franchise couldnt email receipts? Thats bizarre. They all use the same backend system.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, Wilmington NC. I would suggest mentioning the city name when using an airport code that most people aren't familiar with.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Bummer that WIL (Nariobi) was already taken when IATA was assigning station names.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 4:36 pm

Programs: Diamond Hilton, Titanium Marriott, Delta DM, President Circle Herz, NIGHTS IN OWN BED 2022 28
Best news I heard all day, I started using hertz for ILM because the car selection was so bad, but I do remember flying out last week and seeing a bunch of new cars. Cars were bad, and felt insulted with the questions such as address you are you staying, as part of that francise policy. The middle age blonde lady that worked there would give you a choice but options were always the cars you mentioned. I guess it was taken over because I know a ton of people on and out of ILM refused to rent from them.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Diamondkellen
Best news I heard all day, I started using hertz for ILM because the car selection was so bad, but I do remember flying out last week and seeing a bunch of new cars. Cars were bad, and felt insulted with the questions such as address you are you staying, as part of that francise policy. The middle age blonde lady that worked there would give you a choice but options were always the cars you mentioned. I guess it was taken over because I know a ton of people on and out of ILM refused to rent from them.
I talked to the RDU manager about a year ago and he said corporate had been trying to buy the ILM franchise back for a few years but the local owner wouldn't give up ownership. I agree with the "insulting" questions (Who is your employer? Can you prove it? What's your local address? Where are you taking the car/What states are you driving in? How many miles will you put on it?) and the need for two phone numbers. Before I stopped renting from them, when they required a 2nd phone number (in addition to the one on my profile), I gave them the # to the local franchise that was listed on the business card at the desk.

They used to have 2 good employees that would do anything they could for you, but they got a new bunch ~2 years ago and another new sete ~8-10 months ago who were far from stellar.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Before I stopped renting from them, when they required a 2nd phone number (in addition to the one on my profile), I gave them the # to the local franchise that was listed on the business card at the desk.
There's this hotel I'm forced to stay at about once a year that for some reason when I book, my guest details dont come across on their reservation system. It annoys me, and they demand I give them my address (why? i have no idea. the reservation is guaranteed by credit card). So I always give them their own address back. The clerks get seriously annoyed. I'm probably a jerk for doing this, but they could look it up in the guest loyalty program pretty easily.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I used to live in wILMington NC from 2004--11. Bkafrick, no airport in the USA may have K, N nor W as the first letter of its 3-letter code, because those initials are reserved for radio & TV stations. So Wilmington DE Airport (near Philly) is ILG. And then there's nEWaRk Liberty International !
Old Jan 7, 2016, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bkafrick
The franchise couldnt email receipts? Thats bizarre. They all use the same backend system.
Somehow overlooked this one before. Nope, no emailed receipts previously. They also couldn't swap credit/debit cards at return either (as Avis.com showed was an option).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.