Wiki Posts
Search

Parking fine in Germany

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Parking fine in Germany

Got mail from Avis they are billing my credit card with ~30€ for a parking fine in Germany during my last rental. This is only to process the matter. The letter says I will get another letter from authorities for the parking fine itself.

I did get a small paper on windscreen, in German which I did not understand more than it sounded like a notification for bad parking. However, I am fully sure that I had studied the street parking signs, I was in line like other cars there, and I had paid the ticket meter as everyone else had done. No other cars had that piece of paper on their windows. And I had enough parking time left. So I simply ignored that little paper, I thought it was only some kind of reminder, but I kept it in my pocket just in case. I also saved the parking receipt.

I cannot really fight with German authorities about the parking fine even if I was right due to language barrier and distance. What can I do?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
And that piece of paper says:
Sehr geehrter Verkehrsteilnehmerin / Fahrzeughalterin
Sie haben Ihr Fahrzeug ordnungswidrig geparkt, bzw. gegen sonstige strassenverkehrsrechtliche Bestimmungen verstossen.
Der Sachverhalt wurde im Rahmen eines automatisierten Verfahrens festgehalten; bitte sehen Sie derzeit von Nachfragen ab. Sie erhalten in Kürze eine schriftlige Nachricht und haben dann Gelegenheit, sich zum Sachverhalt zu äussern. Auch evetl. Rückfragen können erst dann beantwortet werden.

Google translation:
Dear traffic participant / vehicle keeper
You have parked your vehicle improperly, or violate other road traffic laws.
This issue was held as part of an automated process; please see currently on demands. You will receive an email shortly scripture that time and then have an opportunity to comment on the issue. Also evetl. Questions can only be answered.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
The message said that you'd be getting a ticket mailed to you, and you could challenge it or ask questions then. Clearly, the ticket got mailed to Avis.

Most likely outcome here is that you'll be paying the ticket. Hertz is very unlikely to be willing to fight it on your behalf, particularly since I don't know how you'd have the information to fully contest it.

Time to call Avis and find out what's going on.

Last edited by cestmoi123; Apr 13, 2015 at 11:49 am Reason: Because recommending the OP contact Hertz is unlikely to be helpful! :)
Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Probably best to call Avis though
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Foltan
Probably best to call Avis though
You and your facts and accuracy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.