Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what car to rent for upgrade to SUV/minivan

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:25 am
Original Poster

what car to rent for upgrade to SUV/minivan

Hi all, i am totally new to car rental programs and am in dire need of some help. My family of 4 adults and 1 toddler will be traveling to Paris, Athens, UAE and Turkey next month. As you can imagine, that is quite a bit of luggage and a stroller. I do have Avis First from the world mastercard promotion and believe that I would just be able to choose any vehicle from a certain parking lot rather than what I booked? I am wondering if someone can confirm this and also help me out by telling me what car class I would need to rent to maybe take advantage of this and score a free upgrade to an SUV/minivan?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 5:08 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi,

Originally Posted by babypuwet
Hi all, i am totally new to car rental programs and am in dire need of some help. My family of 4 adults and 1 toddler will be traveling to Paris, Athens, UAE and Turkey next month. As you can imagine, that is quite a bit of luggage and a stroller. I do have Avis First from the world mastercard promotion and believe that I would just be able to choose any vehicle from a certain parking lot rather than what I booked? I am wondering if someone can confirm this and also help me out by telling me what car class I would need to rent to maybe take advantage of this and score a free upgrade to an SUV/minivan?
(1) The pick from the lot feature is mostly still limited to the US. Don't expect to find it in Europe.

(2) If you need the space, don't bank on an upgrade. Upgrades are not guaranteed, and the upgrade could be to a more "luxurious" car. (Recently, I was offered a Volvo V40 instead of a Renault)

(3) Outside the US, SUVs and minivans tend to be rarer, and quite a bit more expensive. A more likely upgrade potential would be to a station wagon.

In short, don't expect you will be able to get the upgrade you are looking for, and instead shop around the various rental companies to secure what you need. (In Europe, take a look at Sixt, at times, they have very competitive rates)

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Nov 27, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
As GenevaFlyer said, don't expect any upgrades.

If you want a SUV or Minivan, reserve one. Don't be blinded by your Avis status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.