Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis First age limitations

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Avis First Age Limitations?

Dear Mr. f0xx,

Thank you for your patience regarding the Avis First status.

Unfortunately until you are 25 years of age you are not eligible for the
program. The age is what restricted the enrollment from being
automatically processed.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.

Kind Regards,

Customer Service Representative
This is the first time I've ever heard of some age restriction/discrimination into a program...

So... When I click the link to upgrade...

Last edited by f0xx; Jun 21, 2014 at 9:20 am Reason: Removed CSR name.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:00 pm

Do you happen to be a member of USAA yet? You don't have to have a military connection for their base account, and I have found they're very lenient where age is concerned for USAA members. Worth a shot, at least, and I like their AWD code too =P
Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by synergistic
Do you happen to be a member of USAA yet? You don't have to have a military connection for their base account, and I have found they're very lenient where age is concerned for USAA members. Worth a shot, at least, and I like their AWD code too =P
I'm prior service and yes, a member of USAA.
I'm aware that their base account is available (I have it.) though I'm eligible for their Preferred/First tier. Though due to some "age restriction", I'm not able to take advantage of such.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by f0xx
I'm prior service and yes, a member of USAA.
I'm aware that their base account is available (I have it.) though I'm eligible for their Preferred/First tier. Though due to some "age restriction", I'm not able to take advantage of such.

I wonder if you could just changed your DOB and then back after they make your account.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sz2628
I wonder if you could just changed your DOB and then back after they make your account.
It won't allow me to change my DOB unless I contact CS. What a PITA.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Did you tell CS that you have USAA and that membership waives the age requirement with Avis? Perhaps the person you contacted did not realize that.

-J.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Did you tell CS that you have USAA and that membership waives the age requirement with Avis? Perhaps the person you contacted did not realize that.

-J.
Correct. Apparently that doesn't matter.
Just confirmed with another CSR. She said there is a age restriction on the AVIS Preferred program. Have to be Age 25 to qualify / enter into the program.

What a slap in the face to young businessmen.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by f0xx
Correct. Apparently that doesn't matter.
Just confirmed with another CSR. She said there is a age restriction on the AVIS Preferred program. Have to be Age 25 to qualify / enter into the program.

What a slap in the face to young businessmen.
This has to be new, I'm 23 and have been Preferred for years. However, I have easily qualified for First and haven't gotten any invitation to join or anything.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mittencuh
This has to be new, I'm 23 and have been Preferred for years. However, I have easily qualified for First and haven't gotten any invitation to join or anything.
It's getting very annoying... I reached out to them on Twitter to see what they can do.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:14 am

Location: A place where I have just enough status to want more, but can't afford it!
Programs: National EE, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis PC, Hertz PC
It's nothing new. I was stuck in this scenario for years. I could create a preferred account and that was it!

I could NOT enroll in Avis First and I could NOT edit my profile online (you'll always get an error message).

It was pointless for me to rent with Avis when I couldn't get any rental credit, so instead I signed up with National. As a result, I have been an Executive or Executive Elite with National since I was 18, and based on my recent experiences with Avis...I made the right choice!
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boeingaaa
It's nothing new. I was stuck in this scenario for years. I could create a preferred account and that was it!

I could NOT enroll in Avis First and I could NOT edit my profile online (you'll always get an error message).

It was pointless for me to rent with Avis when I couldn't get any rental credit, so instead I signed up with National. As a result, I have been an Executive or Executive Elite with National since I was 18, and based on my recent experiences with Avis...I made the right choice!
You too?
I reached out to their Twitter team... They said I was eligible and to call the Avis Preferred desk to process it.

I talked to Avis Preferred desk on Thursday/Friday and they were the ones that told me I wasn't eligible! I'll give them a last call on Monday and if not. I'll be sticking with what I got now.

I'd love National, but the limited underage waivers really kill it. They end up costing double the rental.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:38 am

I had the same issue when I signed up for Avis Preferred in 2012! A quick call to customer service fixed it for me. She just said I can't edit my information online and instead sent me a paper form to fill out and fax back to them. They then took that information and made all the changes for me.

Efficiency at its finest!

Also just remembered I signed my wife up for an account last week, and we had the same issue. It was a last second booking due to a missed flight, so she just went to the Preferred desk at LAX since she was already there and had made the reservation already, and they fixed everything for her and sent her on her way (in a decent upgrade, no less! booked compact, received a prius!)
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zhutch
I had the same issue when I signed up for Avis Preferred in 2012! A quick call to customer service fixed it for me. She just said I can't edit my information online and instead sent me a paper form to fill out and fax back to them. They then took that information and made all the changes for me.

Efficiency at its finest!

Also just remembered I signed my wife up for an account last week, and we had the same issue. It was a last second booking due to a missed flight, so she just went to the Preferred desk at LAX since she was already there and had made the reservation already, and they fixed everything for her and sent her on her way (in a decent upgrade, no less! booked compact, received a prius!)
Thanks.

I just called in after changing my AWD to USAA. Looks like that worked.
She sent me a paper application in an email.... Who in the world uses non-PDF editable applications? It's literately a paper application that was scanned in crooked.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Avis First, IHG Platinum
I also am under 25 and will be needing to rent a car for business for the better part of the next 6 months. I sincerely hope I can resolve this issue, because I do like what I have heard about Avis Preferred. If not, I'll definitely have to rent from somewhere else that actually wants the business.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by danj091
I also am under 25 and will be needing to rent a car for business for the better part of the next 6 months. I sincerely hope I can resolve this issue, because I do like what I have heard about Avis Preferred. If not, I'll definitely have to rent from somewhere else that actually wants the business.
I was able to make this happen by contacting avis directly. I'm an avis first member now. Originally got a preferred membership using this method in June of this year.

Contact Jasmine.Fernanders(at)avisbudget.com or call the preferred department at 1-866-842-5552

She will send you an application which you have to fill out and send back to them and they'll manually make you a preferred account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.