Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Avis Frankfurt: what's similar to Mercedes A Klasse w/ Nav

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Hi, us Canadians are taking our first trip to Europe and we'll be renting a car when we arrive at Frankfurt. We get a decent discount code from our credit card provider, so Avis seems to be the right choice so far.

I'm pretty sure we want a nav system, but we don't need a large car. So we're looking at the Mercedes A Class which is listed as having navigation included. If they don't have this car, what else would we be getting? Or would they just give us a VW Golf with a nav add-on? That wouldn't be an issue at all, I'm just curious what would happen.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: DL - DM MM / UA - PP / LH - SEN / Marriott - AMB-LTT / Avis - PC
I rent from the AVIS Frankfurt several times a year. Generally, I end up renting 2 cars (as I have my employees travelling with me). One is their 'Premium' or 'Luxury' and the other is 'Compact' with navigation, which on the website lists it as an A Class. Generally, AVIS upgrades me on my more expensive rental and leaves my other rental as strictly the class rented.

Numerous times I've received an Audi A3 with navigation, which they have as a comparable vehicle. However, a few times I've been upgraded to an Audi Q3. Once I received a Mercedes B180, but never an A-Class Mercedes.

I hope that helps!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:47 am
Original Poster

A semi-related question for you, UnderEst:

I can get collision/damage protection through my credit card, but I am told I still need to have liability insurance on the car.

I'm trying to reserve this car through Avis's website, but there is simply no mention of liability, only full CDW. Do you have any further insight?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by orbitur
A semi-related question for you, UnderEst:

I can get collision/damage protection through my credit card, but I am told I still need to have liability insurance on the car.

I'm trying to reserve this car through Avis's website, but there is simply no mention of liability, only full CDW. Do you have any further insight?
Regardless of your AVIS status, you'll still have to visit the counter in either terminal 1 or 2. And while you haven't asked, I just want to remind you to plug in your flight information to the rental so you don't have to wait 30+ minutes for your car to be driven over to your terminal.

At the time of the rental, the clerk will go over several different insurance options, but they range from no coverage to multiple CDW tiers. There isn't a 'liability only' option, however if you carry comprehensive and liability coverage on your personal car(s), coverage should extend to your rental car. But please verify with your insurance company first, before taking my word. Not all providers are the same.

If I could make a recommendation...take one of the CDW options. They're relatively inexpensive and pay for themselves without having to be hassled. I've had 30 day rentals and for additional 100€, I've had no financial responsibility for the car. I'm assuming your duration will be much shorter, so it should be even less expensive. Over the last 2 years, the agents at FRA have really been cracking down on rental car damage, even inspecting under the car. Several times I would've been charged for damage that I never even looked for initially. Some examples were:

• 1/4" curb rash on the RR wheel
  • 1" carpet tear under the rear floor mat
  • Scratches under the front bumper
  • Small rock chip to the LF fog light
  • Very minor door ding on the lower section of the door
Old Apr 27, 2014, 2:14 am

There's a cultural difference between N America and Europe on damage policy. In N America, the process seems to be 'does the car still have four wheels and the engine turns over'? In Europe, the car is forensically examined and any dent is charged. It's essential that you examine the car just as carefully on pick up, and check that pre existing damage is marked on the damage sheet (and if not, don't leave the location until the damage sheet is updated and signed).
Another cultural difference. The rental fleets are manual transmission. If you want / need automatic, you have to specifically reserve that.
I suspect liability is what we call 'third party' cover. The car must have that in Europe, the rental company can't register the vehicle without it. The issue for you is whether you choose to take additional cover to remove the excess/deductible. Can't offer generic advice on that, it depends on the small print of your card issuer. If you rely on this and incur damage, you will be charged, and it'll be up to you to reclaim this from your card issuer.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks, all.

Someone told me that the provided GPS doesn't work outside of its origin country in rental cars. I want to make sure this isn't true, since we're driving through Austria, Switzerland, and France as well.

My daily driver is manual so no issues there.

The Avis website is only offering all or nothing on the CDW. Should we wait until we arrive in Frankfurt to pay for insurance?
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: BA, SQ
GPS should be at least Western Europe.
As for CDW see what the excess is and take a call from their.
IMO zero excess, e.g. Full CDW is only worth it in countries where driving is poor E.g. Italy and Spain.
Which group of car are you thinking of booking? I'm assuming group D however I'm not sure that is guaranteed sat nav. Group C is a sat nav group car. In C you will get something like a VW golf or Nissan qashqai, ford focus, all very good cars.
Group D is an oddball group so be careful as it appears to be cheaper than group C so I won't think it'll be with sat nav.
Group D is just a step up from group B, so instead of a more 'functional' car e.g. Seat or Renault, Hyundai, Kia, you'll get a vw, ford, Nissan.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 1:51 pm

Thanks, all.

Someone told me that the provided GPS doesn't work outside of its origin country in rental cars. I want to make sure this isn't true, since we're driving through Austria, Switzerland, and France as well.

My daily driver is manual so no issues there.

The Avis website is only offering all or nothing on the CDW. Should we wait until we arrive in Frankfurt to pay for insurance?
The GPS should work through at least all Western Europe, if not more. However, make sure you check your rental agreement for driving through other countries. Some vehicle makes are not allowed to drive into certain countries and there is a hefty fine for doing so. In the rental agreement, it'll clearly list the makes and the countries you're not authorized to drive in.

As for the CDW, just wait until you get to the counter. I would decline insurance on your reservation. When you're at the counter, mention that you'd like to view the insurance options.

I hope all of that helps!
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Wong: I don't see letter groupings, but the cars we are looking at are categorized in the Compact section:

Compact VW Golf or Similar
Compact Mercedes A Class with Navigation or Similar

For the 2 1/2 weeks we intend to rent, it's just $50 more for the nav. I'm still debating though, it looks like the Mercedes has less trunk space than the VW.

Thanks for the tips!
Old Apr 28, 2014, 3:22 pm

Wong: I don't see letter groupings, but the cars we are looking at are categorized in the Compact section:

For the 2 1/2 weeks we intend to rent, it's just $50 more for the nav. I'm still debating though, it looks like the Mercedes has less trunk space than the VW.

Thanks for the tips!
Rent the higher class (Mercedes). You'll have more 'free' upgrade options, should you be unhappy with the truck space.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: BA, SQ

Thanks for the tips!
That's very interesting looking at the US website. It's quite different the way cars are categorised. Avis in Europe stopped selling a 'premium' hatchback class quite a while ago. Must be at least 5 years since I've seen that grouping on offer over here. Yes they have the picture of the a class but it never is a 'premium' e.g audi, merc or BMW car. The only way to get a premium car is to go for the mid size premium saloon e.g. C class.
The good thing with avis Germany is that if you ask nicely they will always give you what alternative cars they have that you could swap for so if you don't like what you are initially allocated you can change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.