Spouse as additional driver

Old Nov 30, 13, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
Spouse as additional driver

Do i need to add my wife's name onto the reservation & does it cost additional? We are just picking up the car locally, can't find it anywhere on avis.com
Old Nov 30, 13, 7:57 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
In the US? Nope. Have a look through the FAQ/customer service on Avis.com. If you can't find it, I can look for it later and send it over. But coworkers (with the same company) and life partners are considered automatically covered on Avis USA rentals.
Old Dec 2, 13, 7:01 am

Programs: Marriott Silver, No other status because my company hates me.
Nope, no counter form needed:

Go to avis.com->Customer Service (top right corner)->FAQs->USA->Reservations->Rental Policies, Terms & Conditions:

The following individuals, if 25 years of age or older and in possession of a valid driver's license, may drive the car with the renter's prior permission and are exempt from Additional Driver fees:

Renter's employer (while on company business);
Renter's fellow employee (while on company business
Renter's spouse or life partner.
Disabled renters who have completed the non-licensed renter form

A maximum of 2 additional drivers can complete an additional driver form* for a rental. To save time, you can print out this form, complete and bring it with you to the counter. Additional drivers who can drive the vehicle with the renter's permission (see Exceptions above) are not included in this requirement.
Old Dec 2, 13, 8:09 am

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bmckim View Post
Nope, no counter form needed:

[I]Go to avis.com->Customer Service (top right corner)->FAQs->USA->Reservations->Rental Policies, Terms & Conditions:

[snip]
Be careful; this is only for US/Canada. If the rental is in another location, the policies differ. Also, this is only the case if the spouse is 25+ years old.
Old Jan 18, 14, 10:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Do you know if the spouse as free additional driver is still applicable to non US citizens renting in US?

TIA
Old Jan 18, 14, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by zanderblue View Post
Do you know if the spouse as free additional driver is still applicable to non US citizens renting in US?

TIA
Following the terms of post 3 (which are still posted on Avis.com), this policy is for US rentals. Doesn't make any separate for US/non-US citizens, so you should be fine.
Old Jan 18, 14, 8:13 pm
Used to be 'IAD22066'

Programs: UA 1K AA
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler View Post
In the US? Nope. Have a look through the FAQ/customer service on Avis.com. If you can't find it, I can look for it later and send it over. But coworkers (with the same company) and life partners are considered automatically covered on Avis USA rentals.
Don't they at least have to present their driver's license at the counter?
Old Jan 18, 14, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by IADDCA View Post
Don't they at least have to present their driver's license at the counter?
Nope. As long as you're a domestic partner (same address on the DL) or coworker, you don't need to. The only verification will really be if you're in an accident.
Old Mar 19, 21, 8:50 am

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH GLD, IHG PLT
Question Has Policy changed for adding spouse as extra driver at Avis?

Bumping this thread and asking if additional driver policy has changed over the years. From reviewing the links below I get the impression I need to stop by the counter and get my spouse to fill out a form so she can also drive the same rental car.

https://www.avis.com/en/help/usa-faqs/additional-driver

https://www.avis.com/content/dam/avi...8610026557.pdf

I tried to add it online to the reservation but it wants to charge me the extra driver fee.
Old Apr 24, 21, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Sixt Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Exec. Elite, Marriott Silver, Avis President's
Originally Posted by miles_navigator View Post
Bumping this thread and asking if additional driver policy has changed over the years. From reviewing the links below I get the impression I need to stop by the counter and get my spouse to fill out a form so she can also drive the same rental car.

https://www.avis.com/en/help/usa-faqs/additional-driver

https://www.avis.com/content/dam/avi...8610026557.pdf

I tried to add it online to the reservation but it wants to charge me the extra driver fee.
I asked this at the Preferred counter/MCO last month since my wife was coming in a couple of days later, agent said no need to stop, automatically covered.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: