Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

STL says 2-class upgrade from Full is Premium. Weird?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2013, 3:59 pm
QBK
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec

I recently picked up a rental at STL. I'm PC, and I reserved a full-size -- which I usually do for personal rentals because (1) it barely costs more than intermediate, and (2) I usually get an automatic 2-class upgrade to luxury. This time, though, they assigned a Sorento, which didn't excite me. No biggie -- I went to the Preferred counter and asked politely if I could switch, preferably to a BMW or Infiniti. After a brief conversation, the agent grabbed an M37x from the upgrade aisle...

...and then a manager showed up. And politely but firmly informed me that the STL location doesn't consider Luxury to be a 2-class upgrade from Full. When I asked what would be a 2-class upgrade, he said Premium, or an intermediate SUV.

Now, I want to make clear that I'm not whining, DYKWIAing, or anything of the sort. He was polite, and in the end I drove off in the M37x anyway as a courtesy (it was already running with my bags and kid in it). But I'm confused about the policy here, and would like to know what y'all think.

From my experience and posts on this forum, I've gotten the impression that Full --> Luxury was a standard 2-class upgrade (Full -> Premium -> Luxury). I've also been told that Intermediate -> Intermediate SUV and Full -> Full SUV are normal. But... am I confused? And/or do corporate locations (STL is corp, not franchise) have discretion on how to define "upgrade"? Or is this manager out of line with policy?

BTW, just to add confusion to the mix... last time I rented at STL, I reserved Full and got assigned to an M37x. Which made me all the more baffled this time!
Old Nov 27, 2013, 5:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Its possible their demand for luxury cars are high and they do not want to give them out as a free upgrade. Some locations have been like this in the past, but have been forth coming about it, not giving me an excuse as 2 class upgrade is to a premium or mid size suv.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by QBK
IFrom my experience and posts on this forum, I've gotten the impression that Full --> Luxury was a standard 2-class upgrade (Full -> Premium -> Luxury). I've also been told that Intermediate -> Intermediate SUV and Full -> Full SUV are normal. But... am I confused? And/or do corporate locations (STL is corp, not franchise) have discretion on how to define "upgrade"? Or is this manager out of line with policy?
You are correct with the upgrade path.

But - bottom line is, locations have the discretion to do anything they want. Remember your upgrade is an "Available" vehicle, and AVIS doesnt define what available means. So, while the manager may have just been blowing smoke up your butt, he does have the authority to deny you an upgrade, or to reclassify it to whatever they think it acceptable. In the long run, you're only entitled to the car class you rented.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.