Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis tried to charge $200 "cleaning/finishing" fee

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2013, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Avis tried to charge $200 "cleaning/finishing" fee

Yesterday, around 9 pm, when I tried to return a SUV to the SJC airport Avis, I ran into some issues returning the car. The car was a bit dirty (as we drove around Yosemite), but it was mainly dirt/dust that would have been easily wiped off with water. The check-in agent kept looking at it and said he would call his manager. I talked to the agent for awhile and he agreed with me that it would probably be fine after going through the wash, and after 15 minutes, the manager still didn't arrive, so the agent said it'd probably be fine and just waved me off - as I stepped into the elevator, I see the manager chasing me and telling me to stop and that my return wasn't in acceptable condition - and that's when things turned sour:

The manager told be that my return was "filthy" and that I must have been in a "filthy" place. I was calm and ignored his comments - I just told the manager that it was a bit dusty on the way back, and that the dust would probably get washed off after one run in the car wash. He then proceeded to open the trunk and complained about dust/dirt in the area between the gasket and the trunk - and said that it would cost $200 to clean/finish the car, and I was getting as an Avis First member since it's usually "$250". I found that to be quite insulting and told the manager that a $10 gas station car wash and a wet paper towel would have the car new, but he just kept repeating "you're crazy, it's AT LEAST a $200" finishing job. After some complaining, I got fed up with the manager and told him it wasn't my job to clean his vehicles and give them a car wash - but I would put the car through a car wash and send them the bill. He finally agreed to reopen the contract, I went to the nearest gas station carwash, put in 8$ which easily cleaned off all the dirt, and returned it (this was at 10pm, when nearly all the carwashes were closed). The manager kept on telling the associate over the phone to verify that all edges of the car were clean - which the associate did. The manager then came out and said "well, I just saved you $200, next time don't return our cars in such a filthy order". I just told the manager that I'd be contacting corporate and I'd be sending them the receipt.

Given the an automatic carwash washed the car to a "returnable" condition, you would imagine that the car wasn't that dirty... Apologies for the long diatribe - but has anyone else run into a similar situation? Are we responsible for returning cars in a pristine condition (in the words of the manager - "the way you drove it off with" - but I see cars returned dirty and with trash all the time!!!) I plan on calling and writing to Avis - so if anyone has an opinion of how what would give better results, that would be helpful too.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by no2chem
I plan on calling and writing to Avis - so if anyone has an opinion of how what would give better results, that would be helpful too.
I would call the location first and ask for their District Manager and see what his/her thoughts are. I think they would more than resolve your issues.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by sz2628
I would call the location first and ask for their District Manager and see what his/her thoughts are. I think they would more than resolve your issues.
No, that didn't work. She admitted she would have said $75, and that's pretty much the only thing useful that came out of that conversation.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:32 pm

$200 is absurd, a high quality interior and exterior detail doesn't even cost that much. Definitely complain to some sort of higher up manager.

It's insane to me that he ask you to return the car in the same condition you got it. Most people rent cars away from their hometown, it's not like you'd take it home and wash it anyway. And while Avis' cars are generally pretty clean, I've only really had one or two that was close to spotless. The last two cars I've rented were covered in dust from just being outside.
lgormley likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:49 pm

That's messed up. At first I thought they mighta been concerned you went way off-road but that's not it.

I happen to have a lot of pull with Avis right now, so if you PM me I'll try to straighten things out on your behalf.
lgormley likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 8:40 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
wow ... that manager is a scumbag. I'd go if I were you and write to Avis to have him downgraded asap.
msp3 and lgormley like this.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 9:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unless OP has photos (always a good idea in iffy situations which OP acknowledges), this is a he said-she said. OP has attempted to resolve the issue and the best he can now do is to initiate a chargeback. Car rental companies document their stuff well, so it's a likely loser. But, OP can try.

There is always the risk with Avis -- and other merchants -- that if the chargeback is upheld, that Avis simply shows a debt and DNRs (Do Not Rent) OP. That may or may not be a big deal.

A final word of advice. If you've put the vehicle through the wringer, it's well worth the $10 to run it through the car wash and vacum it out. It's appearances that count.
Clark Humble likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 12:52 pm

OP is out $8 from the unaffiliated car wash. He's not contemplating a chargeback FWIW, just acknowledgement from corporate that the car rental business is a customer service business.
It's appearances that count.
strickerj and lgormley like this.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 11:44 am

Reminds me of the time I rented a car from Enterprise. I drove to Yosemite in mid March. I returned that car SUPER dirty!!! Never said anything.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 2:58 pm

I thought they normally give it a quick wash most of the time anyway if it looks dirty, or sometimes even when it doesn't? Don't most locations have a hose at least?
Old Feb 15, 2014, 1:49 pm

I went through a similar situation in Lihue Hawaii. I was charged $150 2 months after returning the family van for too much sand in the car. I protested to the CEO and VP Customer Service and they refused to do a anything, even though I've been a 20 yr customer and spend over $5K per year. They were unhelpful and uncaring. Then I told them I would be writing about this experience in my newspaper column. They said they would waive it, but I wrote about in anyway. They were not happy. From my research this is a practice that Avis and Budget has used in HI. Maybe it's been so successful they are bring it to the mainland.

And the suggestion above about complaining to the manager? Complaining will likely get him a bonus.
lgormley likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by philipgbaker
I went through a similar situation in Lihue Hawaii. I was charged $150 2 months after returning the family van for too much sand in the car. I protested to the CEO and VP Customer Service and they refused to do a anything, even though I've been a 20 yr customer and spend over $5K per year. They were unhelpful and uncaring. Then I told them I would be writing about this experience in my newspaper column. They said they would waive it, but I wrote about in anyway. They were not happy. From my research this is a practice that Avis and Budget has used in HI. Maybe it's been so successful they are bring it to the mainland.

And the suggestion above about complaining to the manager? Complaining will likely get him a bonus.
Dang. I spent a week in Cape Cod with a Passat and returned it with quite a lot of sand inside... Never any charge. I asked an employee at BOS if it was okay and he said basically "Just looks like you enjoyed your trip" or something along those lines. Sad that the rest of the company doesn't have that attitude especially to loyal customers.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by philipgbaker

Normally when you are charged after, the car required extra work. You know whether you brought the car back in bad shape, and most likely you did. That is why they charged you after it was brought back. Your 20years mean nothing, if you damage/ruin the car are they suppose to give you a break? Really?
Old Mar 30, 2021, 7:08 pm

New Avis Rental Scam - Cleaning fees

Avis preferred renter about 20 times per year. Twice in 3 days Avis has tried to bill me $125 LAX and $450 HOU Hobby for sand/dirt in the car. Solo traveler and no beaches so I can not comprehend how much dirt/sand it takes for a $450 cleaning charge. Video your entire car inside and out before and after every rental. Build in time for a car wash and vacuum. Fighting with customer service. First charge gone, $450 pending a holy war.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 8:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Ugh. This week's rental is a new Ford Edge that looks like someone left it parked with the windows down for a week based on the thick dust and pollen everywhere inside.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.