Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DTW-worst Avis location?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2013, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold-no diff than Plat, so who cares; Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, US CP
DTW-worst Avis location?

Is it me, or can anyone else relate to the unacceptable, tremendously long waits for the shuttle (specifically from the North Terminal). When I fly into Detroit, my average wait is about 20 minutes, while 2-3 Hertz, 1-2 Budget, 2-3 National/Alamo busses pass by. Last time I was there, as the bus was taking us back to the N. Terminal, the driver decided he needed to give a co-worker a ride for a very very short distance, and, in addition to delaying all of us passengers, hit a car turning around to exit. I complain time and time again at this location (usually at the Preferred Counter, because they NEVER have my name on the board due to "lack of cars" or other sorry excuse). I've event Tweeted Avis, but got no response to that, feedback emails, etc. I've had bad experiences at many locations, but Detroit HAS to be one of the worst...
Old Aug 11, 2013, 7:27 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

There's a chance that the multiple Hertz (or other) buses is actually 1 bus making multiple rounds. They usually circle around until they get a rider. But it could be multiple buses.

In any event, I've had the same issue at DTW several times. I'm locked to Avis so I don't have any other options. If you aren't locked into Avis, it's time to walk away if I were you.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by tashworth
Is it me, or can anyone else relate to the unacceptable, tremendously long waits for the shuttle (specifically from the North Terminal). When I fly into Detroit, my average wait is about 20 minutes, while 2-3 Hertz, 1-2 Budget, 2-3 National/Alamo busses pass by.
I haven't been to DTW in a long time, but I've had the same problem with Avis at ORD and one or two other airports.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 7:40 pm

I rent from DTW 2-4 times a year for the past 3-4 years, can't really say I've had a problem. This past May I booked a luxury, had a BMW X5 in my assigned spot (just a regular Preferred member). I agree they don't run buses as often has Hertz, etc, but I haven't had to wait 20mins ...unless it has changed since May. I fly in Friday, I'm curious now.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 7:47 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
BOS is the same way. AVIS typically only runs (2) buses at a time, and it takes 30 minutes to make the loop... So, its up to a 15-minute wait. In the meantime, I've seen 5 hertz busses, 5 national buses, thifty, alamo, etc.

Luckily, BOS will have a new facility (Consolidated Rental Car facility, known as the "ConRAC" - awful name) opening in late September. All the rental agency bus drivers are being laid off and they can apply for a job with MassPORT if they want to drive for the new facility. I'm hoping this means there'll be tons of buses.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by bkafrick
Luckily, BOS will have a new facility (Consolidated Rental Car facility, known as the "ConRAC" - awful name) opening in late September. All the rental agency bus drivers are being laid off and they can apply for a job with MassPORT if they want to drive for the new facility. I'm hoping this means there'll be tons of buses.
That's good news! Hopefully the current "Customer Facility Charge" of $6/day is the "tax" for the new center and hopefully another tax isn't in the mix for it.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:10 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
That's good news! Hopefully the current "Customer Facility Charge" of $6/day is the "tax" for the new center and hopefully another tax isn't in the mix for it.
I'm willing to bet the $6/day sticks around though... Sort of like the tolls on roads that were supposed to go away when the road bonds were paid off, but somehow "stuck around" indefinitely because our government couldnt do without the revenue stream?

Old Aug 16, 2013, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Gold, Mariott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Last week I rented here (PC) a intermediate. I was asked to come in the office, as it was my first rental. They gave me the spot of my car location, and it was a non-upgraded Avenger. I walked out to the spot, and there was no car there. When I went back inside the person at the counter made me wait until he served everyone else in line (after I had just done this) and then told me someone else must have taken it. After waiting 10 minutes he finally decided he wasn't going to find another intermediate car and sent me to the exchange section to get my own car, then had me come back inside so he could change the ticket before letting me leave.

So once again, not the greatest impression on can give for a Avis location. Starting to make my STL home location look good.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:19 am

Arrow

I visited DTW this past weekend (Fri-Sun). Bus was waiting at the stop when I arrived and also had one waiting when I dropped off the car. Luck or increased bus frequency? Booked a Luxury, had a Hyundai Genesis in my spot. Asked for something different, offered at BMW 328ix... requested something bigger, offered an Infiniti M37x, took it. No problems ^
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by mrjones
offered an Infiniti M37x, took it. No problems ^
Good choice; it's ne of my favorites currently in the Avis line-up, which is surprising since they've had them for a couple years now. However, all of them that I've seen lately seem to have already been put through a horrendous life on the inside. Others that I currently like: Infiniti JX & QX, Caddi XTS, Fusion Titanium, MKS and Durango (surprisingly.. as long as you can get one with all the goodies).
Old Aug 23, 2013, 12:07 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
I used to rent from DTW almost weekly for a year long stretch back in 2011 and I had good experiences with renting. Abet I flew Delta into the main Nakamura terminal so no real issues with Avis buses then.

Preferred desk was always pretty good about pre-upgrading me and frequently accomdating my requests to change out to any car on the preferred lot though to be fair, the BMWs/Infinitis/Camaros were kept by the general entrance lot and never seen in the preferred lot. Preferred lot normally topped out at the Caddy SRX/Lincoln MKS.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Good choice; it's ne of my favorites currently in the Avis line-up, which is surprising since they've had them for a couple years now. However, all of them that I've seen lately seem to have already been put through a horrendous life on the inside. Others that I currently like: Infiniti JX & QX, Caddi XTS, Fusion Titanium, MKS and Durango (surprisingly.. as long as you can get one with all the goodies).
Missed this.

I actually prefer the G37 over the M37. G37 felt more nimble and quicker.. and felt overall better to drive. But I did enjoy the AC seats and the factory satnav in the M37. And surprisingly, to me anyways, M37 is very easy to park and maneuver in tight parking garages.

I'd love to try the 740i... unfortunately I have yet to rent from a location that actually has them...
Old Sep 8, 2013, 1:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
LAX is the worst. The very worst. Last time I waited nearly 30 minutes for the Avis bus and when it came it just blew past the stop despite not being full and with about ten people waiting at T7. I called the lot and after some shouting another bus came about 15 minutes later.

Meanwhile dozens of multiple Hertz/Enterprise/et al buses showed up. Unfortunately I am locked to Avis due to corp travel scheming.
Old May 6, 2017, 7:27 am

Worst Customer service period

Avis Rental
DTW Location

Where to Start.
Arrived walking from Hertz location. Lady in preferred rejects to serve us. Fails to tell us that preferred is free to register by phone. Tells us to walk in cold to other location where she should have asked bus to give us ride. She just plays on phone and watches video. Now the main location has one employee working. Each customer takes 7-10 minutes as she serves and also answer reservation calls. 15 Customers ahead I had to stand in line for 2 Hours. Ask for manager or supervisor; was told 2 Managers are coming to help and listen to complain. An hour later no manager comes. Worst service received in this line of business ever. Lady behind the Main counter is good. Lady @ preferred is awful. Business run awfully in this location. Totally disappointed. 22843976US1
Old May 6, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by Sean Zacharias
Worst Customer service period

Avis Rental
DTW Location

Where to Start.
Arrived walking from Hertz location. Lady in preferred rejects to serve us. Fails to tell us that preferred is free to register by phone. Tells us to walk in cold to other location where she should have asked bus to give us ride. She just plays on phone and watches video. Now the main location has one employee working. Each customer takes 7-10 minutes as she serves and also answer reservation calls. 15 Customers ahead I had to stand in line for 2 Hours. Ask for manager or supervisor; was told 2 Managers are coming to help and listen to complain. An hour later no manager comes. Worst service received in this line of business ever. Lady behind the Main counter is good. Lady @ preferred is awful. Business run awfully in this location. Totally disappointed. 22843976US1
So you're not preferred but tried to use the preferred booth, weren't given a ride to the other location because of your mistake, and had to wait in a line like everywhere else? I fail to see how Avis provided poor service... did anyone speak to you in a rude manner, was the car you received not clean or damaged?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.