Search

class action against Avis for E-ZPass fees

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2012, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

class action against Avis for E-ZPass fees

Perhaps of interest to folks here --

Avis Hits Customers for E-ZPass Use, Class Says

I am not a frequent Avis customer. But as a frequent Hertz customer, I've had unending problems with their Platepass implementation including multiple improper billings as well as charges wholly inconsistent with the actual costs of providing the service. I wish the best of luck to the plaintiffs and attorneys int his matter.
Old May 13, 2012, 4:03 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

The Avis e-Toll page states the fee for each location, so they must have modified it after this suit was filed. We'll see how this works out, but usually Class Action suits end up in lawyers (either or both sides) getting boatloads of money and people that lost $ getting partial pennies on the dollar
Old May 15, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by bedelman
Perhaps of interest to folks here --

Avis Hits Customers for E-ZPass Use, Class Says

But as a frequent Hertz customer, I've had unending problems with their Platepass implementation including multiple improper billings as well as charges wholly inconsistent with the actual costs of providing the service.
If you think their price is out of line for the service, don' use it.

But since you live in Mass, why don't you carry your own easy pass and then you don't need to pay the fees, just the tolls you use.
Old May 15, 2012, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

I don't use Avis at all -- I use Hertz. But my experience with Hertz Platepass has been quite negative. Even when I pay cash, I am sometimes billed by Platepass. Platepass staff are slow to respond to email and affirmatively unhelpful in investigating or resolving disputes.

In any event, the underlying article (as linked above) takes issue with the way the fees were disclosed. The article indicates that the lawsuit claims Platepass fees were disclosed in an importantly different, and inferior, method than that provided for ordinary Avis rental charges.
Old May 21, 2012, 12:11 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Like the setup in Sydney when you have to use the Avis supplied electronic tag and you are not allowed to pay cash or use your own tag. And of course there is a service fee.
Old May 22, 2012, 7:49 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Singleflyer

But since you live in Mass, why don't you carry your own easy pass and then you don't need to pay the fees, just the tolls you use.
You are not allowed to use your own EZ Pass on any vehicle except the registered ones on the system. When they compare the plate # with the transaction, you could be heavily fined if they catch the discrepancy.
Old May 23, 2012, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by menton1
Originally Posted by Singleflyer

You are not allowed to use your own EZ Pass on any vehicle except the registered ones on the system. When they compare the plate # with the transaction, you could be heavily fined if they catch the discrepancy.
So just call the E-Z Pass Service Center as soon as you pick up the rental car and add the rental car plate number to your E-Z Pass account. At the conclusion of the rental, call back and delete it.
Old May 23, 2012, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

So just call the E-Z Pass Service Center as soon as you pick up the rental car and add the rental car plate number to your E-Z Pass account. At the conclusion of the rental, call back and delete it.
That's exactly what Mass Fastlane tells you to do. It even specifically mentions rental cars. That's what I do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.