FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak-420/)
-   -   Fleet List (UK) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak/1269829-fleet-list-uk.html)

jamesbrownontheroad Mar 14, 2012 2:10 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 18194343)
However all the Cool cars show as sold out. Does anyone know what's up with this?

As Clubman says, the Cool Cars fleet are probably not directly comparable with our Select Fleet so they just don't show up at all. In fact we there isn't a single vehicle in common between the two fleets, although lots of guaranteed make-and-model sports and SUVs for you to choose from.

stimpy Mar 14, 2012 4:48 am

Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad (Post 18197326)
As Clubman says, the Cool Cars fleet are probably not directly comparable with our Select Fleet so they just don't show up at all. In fact we there isn't a single vehicle in common between the two fleets, although lots of guaranteed make-and-model sports and SUVs for you to choose from.

Thanks. I was using avis.com. I went to the UK site and put in my Wizard number, but the prices were much higher. So I went back to avis.com and reserved a standard. Hopefully they will upgrade to a BMW. At least that's what is showing two levels up from a Standard on avis.com

jamesbrownontheroad Mar 17, 2012 2:14 am

On the subject of Lacettis, I returned this week's rental to BHD this morning and parked right next to just such a car (with auto transmission). It wasn't on NI plates, so I could tell it was a 2011 reg.

senna60_94 Mar 17, 2012 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad (Post 18217027)
It wasn't on NI plates, so I could tell it was a 2011 reg.

In that case they must be one of the last ones as the Lacetti was discontinued from the UK market last yr.

clubman Mar 21, 2012 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by olivetti (Post 18120122)
VW Golf Cabriolet confirmed to be joining Select end of March initially from London Heathrow

Looks like it's available to book now.

Some of the other cars confirmed to join the Select series are the new 5 series, New 1 series, Audi A1, VW Scirocco as well as the DS3, Fiat 500, and XC90 "returning" to the fleet.

stimpy Mar 26, 2012 1:13 pm

EDI
Presidents Club
Booked Standard, received Peugeot 508 Estate. Ugh, too huge.

On return I noticed a very nice VW Cabriolet which would have been perfect to go with the tropical Scottish weather.

Buster Mar 26, 2012 4:43 pm

I'm looking to book this August in MAN - I'm Avis First...is there any recognition of that status (ie: upgrade, etc.)? Right now I'm leaning toward booking the Passat wagon, but am I better off booking the sedan instead for upgrade potential?

Thanks!

jamesbrownontheroad Mar 27, 2012 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Buster (Post 18278441)
I'm looking to book this August in MAN - I'm Avis First...is there any recognition of that status (ie: upgrade, etc.)? Right now I'm leaning toward booking the Passat wagon, but am I better off booking the sedan instead for upgrade potential?

Others may be better placed to answer that, because here in the UK, Avis doesn't offer equivalent loyalty statuses to those in the USA. As it's offered in the UK, Avis Preferred is simply a means to have your booking pre-loaded with all your details for a 3 minute getaway at check-in at key locations.

Perhaps someone else will know, but I presume that if your status perks are honoured at Avis branches worldwide, they'll be honoured here. It would be good to have clarity on this because this thread is primarily intended for visitors to the UK, most of whom will be coming from the USA.

stimpy Mar 27, 2012 7:00 am

As you can see in my post above, my Avis US status was recognized. And it seems to be the case throughout Europe that they like to upgrade us to station wagons. Whether you like it or not. I think that even if you didn't get a wagon, you could try to negotiate it on site. Most people don't want them it seems.

clubman Mar 27, 2012 10:03 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 18276980)
On return I noticed a very nice VW Cabriolet which would have been perfect to go with the tropical Scottish weather.

Driving an Avis one at the moment, and it's very nice indeed!

They are brand new (I'm the first driver with mine) and part of the Select series.

senna60_94 Mar 27, 2012 10:16 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 18281351)
As you can see in my post above, my Avis US status was recognized.

It's recognised cos there's also President Preferred in UK. On the other hand, there's no equivalent of Avis First in UK. My guess is the only way u can get a good chance of a free upgrade is to have President status.

jamesbrownontheroad Apr 1, 2012 6:03 am

Originally Posted by clubman (Post 18282438)
Driving an Avis one at the moment, and it's very nice indeed!

Saw two more parked in the three most prominent Select bays at GLA yesterday, alongside a (edit: corrected) Mercedes-Benz M class. Gimme the Golf CC any day, simple pleasures :D

clubman Apr 2, 2012 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad (Post 18313013)
Saw two more parked in the three most prominent Select bays at GLA yesterday, alongside a BMW M class. Gimme the Golf CC any day, simple pleasures :D

Do you mean BMW 1?

jamesbrownontheroad Apr 3, 2012 3:38 am

Originally Posted by clubman (Post 18321269)
Do you mean BMW 1?

Nope, M class, presumably from the Select fleet. Big hunkachunka ugly SUV if you ask me, but that's usually because I'm liable for my own petrol expenses :D

clubman Apr 3, 2012 5:23 am

Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad (Post 18324641)
Nope, M class, presumably from the Select fleet. Big hunkachunka ugly SUV if you ask me, but that's usually because I'm liable for my own petrol expenses :D

I'm a little confused...

There is no BMW M class, there is an M devision (making the M3, M5 etc) and most BMWs can be ordered in an M-Sport spec.

if you're sure it was a BMW SUV then you might be talking about the X5 M-Sport, unless you mean Mercedes M class?

Regardless, either of them would be part of the Avis Prestige fleet, not Select.