X CEED
STONIC
CEED

MAZDA

MAZDA 2
MAZDA 3
MAZDA CX30

CX-3

Correct AFAIK as of December 2022 (from Dec 16, 2022 12:42 pm, posted by EdinburghTraveller).
Print Wikipost

Fleet List (UK)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2011, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Fleet List (UK)

Inspired by IAHtraveler's thread, now a sticky in this forum, and the many contributions of frequent Avis renters across North America, this is the beginning of a similar, perhaps more modest, thread for the UK.

Some important notes, especially for North American renters:

• Unlike in the US and Canada, the website of Avis UK continues to refer to car classes by both descriptor and letter. The full list of vehicle categories for the core fleet can be found here, Select Series can be found here, and Avis Prestige can be found here.
  • Although we have letter classes, they are not comparable with those in North America: a "class E" gets you a Chevrolet Impala in the USA and a Ford Focus here.
  • There is no vehicle category for any size of SUV in the UK: if you want one, you have to pony up for the Select or Prestige series and remember that we pay about $9 per gallon for regular unleaded...

We look forward to seeing you in the UK soon ^

Avis category: Small Cars

Avis category: Medium Cars

Avis category: Large Cars

Avis category: Select Series

All vehicles in the series are "guaranteed" make and model.

Avis category: Prestige

All vehicles in the series are "guaranteed" make and model.

Aston Martin DB9 Coupe
Aston Martin DB9 Volante
Aston Martin DBS
Aston Martin V12 Vantage
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Aston Martin V8 Vantage Cabriolet

Audi A3 Cabriolet
Audi A5 2.0 Sportback
Audi A5 2.7 Sportback
Audi A5 Cabriolet
Audi A5 Coupe
Audi A8 SE Exec 3.0 TDI quattro
Audi Q5 4x4
Audi R8 V10
Audi R8 V10 Spyder
Audi TTS Coupe
Audi TTS Roadster

Bentley GTC

BMW 3 Series Touring
BMW 330d M Sport
BMW 5 Series
BMW 5 Series Touring
BMW X3 4x4
BMW X5 4x4

Ferrari 430 F1 Coupe
Ferrari 430 Spider
Ferrari 458 Italia
Ferrari California

Jaguar XF
Jaguar XJ 5.0 V8
Jaguar XK R 5.0 Cabriolet
Jaguar XK R 5.0 Coupe

Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4 Spyder

Maserati Quattroporte S

Mercedes C Class Estate
Mercedes C Class Sport
Mercedes E Class Cabriolet
Mercedes E Class Coupe
Mercedes E Class Estate
Mercedes E Class Sport
Mercedes ML350 CDI 4x4
Mercedes S Class
Mercedes SL500
Mercedes Viano 8 Seats

Nissan GTR

Porsche 997 Turbo PDK (Gen 2)
Porsche Cayenne 4x4
Porsche Cayenne GTS 4x4

Range Rover Discovery 4 HSE 4x4
Range Rover Sport Autobiography 4X4
Range Rover Sport Supercharged HST 4x4
Range Rover Vogue 4x4

Toyota Prius Hybrid

Volkswagen Golf 2.0 GTD
Volkswagen Golf R
Volkswagen Scirocco
Volkswagen Touareg V6 TDI 4x4

Last edited by jamesbrownontheroad; Jul 6, 2012 at 2:58 pm Reason: Groups B, D, E & F updated
Old Oct 20, 2011, 5:01 am

Surely some of these are borderline in terms of trades descriptions act.

How can they call a BMW 3 series "large executive"?
It's certainly not large....
And whether a model out sells the Mondeo, I have to wonder whether it is still "executive"....
Old Oct 20, 2011, 7:30 am
Original Poster

There was some chat about confusing car classes in the comments of this post on the Avis UK blog earlier this year. Basically Avis follow the European standard for ACRISS codes (pdf) which, despite being redrafted in the last decade, still has many loopholes. Vehicle cost can still be a particular cause for skewing classes, especially if you find a high priced compact like a BMW 1 Series.

And yes, the definition of "executive" is certainly up for question, especially when you're house hunting in the UK
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad
Inspired by IAHtraveler's thread, now a sticky in this forum, and the many contributions of frequent Avis renters across North America, this is the beginning of a similar, perhaps more modest, thread for the UK.

Some important notes, especially for North American renters:

• Unlike in the US and Canada, the website of Avis UK continues to refer to car classes by both descriptor and letter. The full list of vehicle categories for the core fleet can be found here, Select Series can be found here, and Avis Prestige can be found here.
  • Although we have letter classes, they are not comparable with those in North America: a "class E" gets you a Chevrolet Impala in the USA and a Ford Focus here.
  • All classes are manual transmission unless indicated in the class description - i.e. unless you specifically book into an Automatic class, you will be assigned a vehicle with a manual transmission.
  • Uniquely in the UK, GM markets its Opel brand as Vauxhall. Vauxhall models are almost identical in specification to Opels elsewhere in the world. The Vauxhall Insignia (see classes F & H) is very similar to the North American market Buick Regal.
  • There is no vehicle category for any size of SUV in the UK: if you want one, you have to pony up for the Select or Prestige series and remember that we pay about $8/US gallon for regular unleaded...

Although I'm relatively new to Avis (and have had to start this thread with only example vehicles) I expect to be renting a lot more in the next 12 months (thanks to a rather sweet little competition prize). I will attempt to keep this post updated with any reports or posts from your good selves. If it sinks to the bottom of the forum in a matter of days I'll accept defeat

We look forward to seeing you in the UK soon ^

Avis category: Small Cars

Avis category: Medium Cars

Avis category: Large Cars

Avis category: Select Series

Note: all vehicles in the series are "guaranteed" make and model.

Alfa Romeo Giulietta
Audi A4 Saloon
BMW 5 Series Automatic
Citroën DS3
Fiat 500
Peugeot RCZ
Volvo XC90 Automatic
VW Golf CC Free
VW Sharan Automatic

Avis category: Prestige

Note: all vehicles in the series are "guaranteed" make and model.

Audi TTS Roadster
Jaguar XF
Mercedes S Class
Audi A5 2.0 Sportback
Aston Martin DB9 Volante
Audi R8 V10
Volkswagen Touareg 4x4

Just to let you know Kia and Nissan are no longer on fleet in the UK
Old Oct 23, 2011, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by olivetti
Are they completely gone now? The Nissan's were listed back in May. As for Kia, I did happen to get the keys to a Cee'd at LSI last month - although that was a franchise, so not technically Avis fleet.

Thanks
Old Oct 25, 2011, 1:50 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

jamesbrownontheroad: THANK YOU FOR PUTTING THIS TOGETHER! I'll make it a sticky since it's very useful!

Cheers,
IAHtraveler!
Old Oct 26, 2011, 3:24 am
Original Poster

You're very welcome. Apologies in advance if I'm slow to update it, but I will respond to every update or ride report. ^

PS: Working primarily out of Northern Ireland, I had considered including the fleet list for Eire, given that we share a land border, both drive on the left and one way rentals between Northern Ireland and the Republic mix the fleets up a bit. However at this stage the Irish fleet seems too distinct to muddy the waters here. If anyone has questions re: GB / NI / RoI there's no harm in asking though.

Last edited by jamesbrownontheroad; Oct 26, 2011 at 3:38 am
Old Nov 9, 2011, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Can I ask if we can make this Europe-wide instead of just the UK? The EU is about the same size as the US, so why not?

I was recently upgraded to a Volvo V70 at AMS with an automatic tranny.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stimpy
Can I ask if we can make this Europe-wide instead of just the UK? The EU is about the same size as the US, so why not?
We could do, although it will be beyond my travels for Avis-rentals in the next year or so.

Although the EU is roughly comparable in size, it seems to me that each country has a distinct Avis fleet, one that is negotiated and purchased locally. We could end up with a list of every make and model of European car currently on sale in Europe (see, for example, this, this, this and this) ... although then again, that seems sometimes to describe the North America fleet list quite well
Old Nov 10, 2011, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
We could do, although it will be beyond my travels for Avis-rentals in the next year or so.

Although the EU is roughly comparable in size, it seems to me that each country has a distinct Avis fleet, one that is negotiated and purchased locally. We could end up with a list of every make and model of European car currently on sale in Europe (see, for example, this, this, this and this) ... although then again, that seems sometimes to describe the North America fleet list quite well
You are right that each country has a different fleet, and you are right that across all of the US there are big differences. Maybe just a thread to note Euro experiences, as across all of Flyertalk I'm sure there are Avis renters in nearly all European countries.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by olivetti
Was it really necessary to quote the OP's entire post?
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
For anyone interested in Avis prestige this is the full range:

Aston Martin DB9 Coupe
Aston Martin DB9 Volante
Aston Martin DBS
Aston Martin V12 Vantage
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Aston Martin V8 Vantage Cabriolet

Audi A3 Cabriolet
Audi A5 2.0 Sportback
Audi A5 2.7 Sportback
Audi A5 Cabriolet
Audi A5 Coupe
Audi A8 SE Exec 3.0 TDI quattro
Audi Q5 4x4
Audi R8 V10
Audi R8 V10 Spyder
Audi TTS Coupe
Audi TTS Roadster

Bentley GTC

BMW 3 Series Touring
BMW 330d M Sport
BMW 5 Series
BMW 5 Series Touring
BMW X3 4x4
BMW X5 4x4

Ferrari 430 F1 Coupe
Ferrari 430 Spider
Ferrari 458 Italia
Ferrari California

Jaguar XF
Jaguar XJ 5.0 V8
Jaguar XK R 5.0 Cabriolet
Jaguar XK R 5.0 Coupe

Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4 Spyder

Maserati Quattroporte S

Mercedes C Class Estate
Mercedes C Class Sport
Mercedes E Class Cabriolet
Mercedes E Class Coupe
Mercedes E Class Estate
Mercedes E Class Sport
Mercedes ML350 CDI 4x4
Mercedes S Class
Mercedes SL500
Mercedes Viano 8 Seats

Nissan GTR

Porsche 997 Turbo PDK (Gen 2)
Porsche Cayenne 4x4
Porsche Cayenne GTS 4x4

Range Rover Discovery 4 HSE 4x4
Range Rover Sport Supercharged HST 4x4
Range Rover Vogue 4x4

Toyota Prius Hybrid

Volkswagen Golf 2.0 GTD
Volkswagen Golf R
Volkswagen Scirocco
Volkswagen Touareg V6 TDI 4x4

I've driven the vast majority of the Avis UK normal fleet as well as some of the prestige range and all of the Select series, so happy to recommend if anyone needs some advise...
Old Dec 23, 2011, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clubman
I've driven the vast majority of the Avis UK normal fleet as well as some of the prestige range and all of the Select series, so happy to recommend if anyone needs some advise...
Clubman - any tips in class K (Large Executive)? I'm picking one up just after Christmas from Glasgow Airport and will put 600 miles behind me in three days. I'm likely to pay close attention to drivetrains because I'd prefer the most economical motorway cruiser - probably a 3 Series, depending on the engine size, if I get a choice.

Thanks ^
Old Dec 25, 2011, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

any tips in class K (Large Executive)?
To be honest, I haven't rented that group class in a whilbut even going for cars like the DS3, Giulietta, and RCZ which seems to be gone from the fleet now...) but I used to a lot (at the time when group K was part of the select series) and most of the time it was a 320d which are brilliant cars to drive.
Merc C comes pretty close in terms of handling etc but the 180 is a little weak in comparison...

By the way they call it Large: Premium rather than Excutive.

Would be interested to hear what you end up with...
Old Dec 27, 2011, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clubman
Would be interested to hear what you end up with...
Oddly enough, no vehicles in that class available, so I got an Audi A4 Technik 2.0TDi, which is listed as group F.

When I booked back in October the Glasgow city centre branch was listed as open, but since then has decided to close for the entire of Christmas/New Year. So a trek out to Glasgow Airport, where the Audi and a fuel discount was offered in compensation. I'm not a snob, so happy enough. Didn't know it was a group F, though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.