Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Adult content on Avis XM active

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2011, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
Exclamation Adult content on Avis XM active

Just a heads up to anyone who might be traveling with family or others who might find adult content offensive or inappropriate...

I had an Avis rental in Austin last week with the XM active on a Ford Flex. I was surprised to find that Blue Collar Comedy, the Foxx hole, Raw Dog, Howard Stern, the Playboy channel and Spice were all active. I figured this out by accident while flipping through the channels. I like the uncensored comedy channels but I've never had them available before on other rentals and certainly not the others.

I would be a little upset if I wasn't expecting those channels to be active and I tuned to one of them while scanning through XM with kids or the wife in the car.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 8:17 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Typically, all of these with the exception of Playboy and Spice are active. I wouldnt call Blue Collar, Foxx Hole, Raw Dog, or Howard Stern "adult content". Thats quite a stretch.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 11:36 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
I think SiriusXM considers Raw Dog/99 to be 'adult content' because of the uncensored language/subject matter.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 1:33 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Thank god. I found the lack of adult content offensive.

-Brian
Old Aug 8, 2011, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Every time I've had a car with satellite radio, all of the comedy channels have been active, I don't know about Playboy or Spice, I didn't even know they existed. I don't know if the radios provide any way of warning before going to non-kid friendly stations or not.

Either way, if I get a car with satrad, I prefer to have all of the channels available, you can't "child proof" the world.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 5:18 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by djk7
you can't "child proof" the world.
^^^
Old Aug 9, 2011, 5:23 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Every time I've had a car with satellite radio, all of the comedy channels have been active, I don't know about Playboy or Spice, I didn't even know they existed. I don't know if the radios provide any way of warning before going to non-kid friendly stations or not.

Either way, if I get a car with satrad, I prefer to have all of the channels available, you can't "child proof" the world.
Totally agree!
Old Aug 14, 2011, 4:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
at least your dang satellite was on

more than I can say most of the time

as for the adult content, Its been there as long as I've had a working XM

unless the kiddies are controlling the radio it shouldn't be a problem, you can see what station you are on for a second or two before the volume kicks in anyway
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
you can't "child proof" the world.
^^

IMHO, the best parental control is .... get ready for it .... the parent.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 7:10 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold (LT), Nat EL Exec, Hertz PC
I'm just shocked SatRad worked in a rental from Avis...

Having said that, I never get upset by something that can be cured by changing the channel... And I don't in any way shape or form believe Avis or any other company should be censoring what is available. Seemingly contradictory (but not), I also believe they're under no obligation to provide that content if it's part of a higher tier (which I believe it is).
Old Aug 30, 2011, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; BA GGL; Virgin Gold; United Silver; Hilton Dia; IHG Spire; Marriott Tit; Hertz PC
The (rock) music channels I have listened to on Avis' SatRad also play uncensored songs without the swear words dropped / bleeped out
Old Aug 30, 2011, 1:52 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Originally Posted by mookie10
The (rock) music channels I have listened to on Avis' SatRad also play uncensored songs without the swear words dropped / bleeped out
Heavens to betsy!
Old Aug 30, 2011, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat - 2MM;HH Diamond
Originally Posted by brkandjfk
I'm just shocked SatRad worked in a rental from Avis...

Having said that, I never get upset by something that can be cured by changing the channel... And I don't in any way shape or form believe Avis or any other company should be censoring what is available. Seemingly contradictory (but not), I also believe they're under no obligation to provide that content if it's part of a higher tier (which I believe it is).
I am also suprised. After they went to the rental external radios, I have not had active Sat Radio in any cars I have rented. I did have it in one car, but it expired mid rental.

Dan
Old Sep 5, 2011, 7:55 am

Most of the cars in the Luxury class seem to have it active...
Old Sep 7, 2011, 10:33 pm

I'm in a 2011 Lincoln MKZ this week, and it does not have chanels 98-106 active. This includes:
Blue Collar
FoxxHole
Raw Dog
Howard Stern 100, 101
XM Stars Too
Road Dog Trucking

I thought someone had disabled the channels from the radio. Luckily the manual for the car was still in the truck, I looked up the PIN for resetting all "disabled" channels and making them active (ironically, the PIN is 1-2-3-4), and it said "Channels Unlocked", but still 98-106 do not appear on the radio.

Odd?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.