Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

The demise of free satellite radio in AVIS rentals: "AVIS Blast"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The demise of free satellite radio in AVIS rentals: "AVIS Blast"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2010, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sdsearch
But does the XM/Sirius ever actually sound good? I've gotten it free in several different Avis cars (typically compacts or midsize), and every time it has sounded like a bad Real Audio computer feed ("swishing"/"phasing" kinds of effects that really detract from listening for me), like the bit rate being processed is a bit too low. But these have been in different places in the country, and I don't understand why there'd be the same reception problem each place. So, given that I've never heard it sounding better (in cars), I wonder if it ever does???
I know what you mean. It depends on the channel and its material. They really try to save bandwidth on talk programs and the resulting audio quality is just garbage. Music can be pretty good but I would never call it 'CD quality.'
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I know what you mean. It depends on the channel and its material. They really try to save bandwidth on talk programs and the resulting audio quality is just garbage. Music can be pretty good but I would never call it 'CD quality.'
+1. This is particularly noticeable on the TV simulcast channels, like MSNBC. It's like listening to talk radio through a vuvuzela.

The other thing to remember is that the audio systems in these cars aren't reset to factory default after each user, so some settings may need to be tweaked. I've gotten plenty of Avis rentals where the bass was pushed to max and the treble was near 0.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 10:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Actually I was just in a 2011 Hyundai Sonata (June 2010 registration) last week Wed to Fri, and the XM radio was working just fine. It was my first rental as Preferred member, and they upgraded me from subcompact to the Sonata @SMF, so no complaints.

Just got a 10,000 mile Hyundai Accent today @OAK, and the XM radio works fine too... perhaps the cancellation is only in certain locations?
Old Aug 6, 2010, 7:03 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, Hertz President's Circle, AVIS First
Originally Posted by Critic
Does every carmaker offer the free trial?..
I believe the XM/Sirrus are the ones offering the free trial versions and not the car manfacturers.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by NYCTaximan
I believe the XM/Sirrus are the ones offering the free trial versions and not the car manfacturers.
Thats correct, and per my AVIS agent, XM/Sirius stopped giving out free trials for AVIS rentals. Now, we all know how poor desk agent's information usually is, but it does seem to fit in this case.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Actually, this was all music channels, but perhaps only more "obscure" ones: instrumental pop, sinatra plus (or whatever they call their standards), classical, deep cuts rock, stuff like that. I found them all unlistenable compared to FM radio, simply because of the artifacts.

And, no, to the other poster: The FM radio on these compacts sounded just fine. Again, these were digital artifacts, nothing like any analog audio problems. The problems only occured on XM (this was before the radios were merged). It's just that I was out in rural areas where the FM choices were few. And, for that matter, none of these places were blocked by mountains (I don't remember all the specifics, but one was a rental from MCO where I was driving to/along the Space Coast in Florida).
Old Aug 9, 2010, 4:15 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
picked up a car at BUF today and they don't have the units yet...so why shut off all of the satellite radio's in the cars before i have the option of even renting one? going to be a long week driving around upstate NY with no howard stern...
Old Aug 9, 2010, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by axpmaluga
picked up a car at BUF today and they don't have the units yet...so why shut off all of the satellite radio's in the cars before i have the option of even renting one? going to be a long week driving around upstate NY with no howard stern...
You're telling me... I live and work in upstate NY and rent cars everyweek... its going to be a very long week in upstate NY!!
Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Maybe they didn't shut them off, but SIRUSXM did...they are trying to do anything to drive up revenue.

Last edited by Steph3n; Aug 10, 2010 at 11:59 am
Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:45 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
This is very disappointing news as this was one of the benefits which makes me chose Avis over other brands.

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
After further thought... maybe it should be offered for free to CHM/Pres Club members?
Agree, this would be the right thing to do. Or only have the free radio in higher class cars to which elites get upgraded to.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:07 pm

Nothing I could find on Avis.ca

hope my rental still has it included.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 4:06 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Generally, I think this is a dumb move on the part of both Avis and XMSerius, but then they didn't ask me!
Old Aug 17, 2010, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I am now renting a Chevy Traverse from LAX that has fully working XM. So maybe only the luxury cars have XM? That's how it used to be when Avis first started with XM.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 8:04 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by stimpy
I am now renting a Chevy Traverse from LAX that has fully working XM. So maybe only the luxury cars have XM? That's how it used to be when Avis first started with XM.
I am hoping that it will stay that way, but I am not going to hold my breath!
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:34 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
I had an Acadia last week with XM that worked just fine (out of PHX).

PS. it only had 4 miles on it when I got in!

Last edited by trm2; Aug 20, 2010 at 4:31 pm Reason: adding postscript

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.