Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades in Maui?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2010, 1:53 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Upgrades in Maui?

Mrs. GNALUZU and I are heading to Maui in May for some much needed R&R.

I've rented a full size and am President's Club. What are the chances of getting upgraded into a convertible?

Anyone have any experience with upgrades there?
Old May 19, 2010, 9:14 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Buelller? Bueller?

Anyone have any experience with upgrades in Maui? Leaving tomorrow and thought I would check one more time.

Thanks.
Old May 23, 2010, 2:22 pm

Programs: Some more than others
<Removed>

Last edited by SCChris; May 23, 2010 at 2:24 pm Reason: Misread inquiry.
Old May 23, 2010, 10:28 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by GNALUZU
Buelller? Bueller?

Anyone have any experience with upgrades in Maui? Leaving tomorrow and thought I would check one more time.

Thanks.
So you should be there now maybe you can share your experience. I can only tell you that in HNL I never got upgraded to anything which remotely looked like a nice car.
Old May 30, 2010, 10:19 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Got back yesterday. I rented a full size and was offered a Lincoln Town Car. While that is an upgrade, I really didn't want that thing. I asked about getting a convertible, but they said they had none available.

Ended up taking a 4 door Jeep Wrangler. it had the hard top, but the front roof panels were removable. Not a bad car for the island.
Old May 31, 2010, 6:25 pm

Programs: Former COA Silver; AVIS Chairmans Club; AOPA
Originally Posted by GNALUZU
Got back yesterday. I rented a full size and was offered a Lincoln Town Car. While that is an upgrade, I really didn't want that thing. I asked about getting a convertible, but they said they had none available.
Hey, it's an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. All of Hawaii is known for limited choice of rental vehicles given the expense of transporting cars from the Mainland.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 8:25 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
I've rented from OGG 3 times as a CHM.
I always called in advance to request a convertible.
Once got a G6 hardtop convertible, and the other times a Mustang convertible.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA G, Hil Loser, Marr PL
When I was there last year, I rented a mid-size and was offered an expedition. I said no, so I received a G6. The upgrades are there, but might not be what you want.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 5:44 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
I've rented from OGG 3 times as a CHM.
I always called in advance to request a convertible.
Once got a G6 hardtop convertible, and the other times a Mustang convertible.
In February 2008, while I was still Avis First, I got upgraded to a Mustang Convertible at OGG on Maui, by just asking for it in the comments section of the reservation, with a smile from the station manager. The same was the case at LIH on Kauai.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
My last trip to OGG (May '09) as an Avis First I booked a midsize and was initially assigned a Grand Marquis. Even though I'm probably 50 years younger than the average Grand Marquis buyer, I actually don't mind renting one on the mainland. It's a good highway cruiser when going, say, from Atlanta to Savannah but not the ideal vehicle for Maui.

I asked the Avis agent if they had any SUVs and he handed me the keys to a 2WD Ford Escape with leather and sunroof. Handled great on the road to Hana and around the island. Avis employees all seemed friendly and accommodating at OGG.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 6:37 am

What's the upgrade situation at the West Maui Airport (JHM)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.