Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Any Avis level allow spouse as additional driver no charge?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2010, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond

With Alamo Quicksilver, there is no charge for my wife as an additional driver.

Is there any Avis membership, that doesn't charge spouse as additional driver?

Thanks.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 2:50 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
With Avis (and Budget and Enterprise), your spouse can drive your rental car for free:

The following individuals, if 25 years of age or older and in possession of a valid driver's license, may drive the car with the renter's prior permission:

* Renter's employer (while on company business);
* Renter's fellow employee (while on company business
* Renter's spouse or life partner.

The above additional drivers are considered "authorized drivers" and need not be present at the time of rental, nor do they need to sign an additional driver form.

(At Hertz, the same is true for #1 Club Gold members.)

The above is for US.

Last edited by tourist; Jan 13, 2010 at 6:21 am Reason: Correction of company!
Old Jan 10, 2010, 3:14 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by tourist
With Alamo (and Budget and Enterprise), your spouse can drive your rental car for free:

The following individuals, if 25 years of age or older and in possession of a valid driver's license, may drive the car with the renter's prior permission:

* Renter's employer (while on company business);
* Renter's fellow employee (while on company business
* Renter's spouse or life partner.

The above additional drivers are considered "authorized drivers" and need not be present at the time of rental, nor do they need to sign an additional driver form.
I think tourist means Avis, not Alamo. The above text can be found at Avis.com by going to: Customer Service -> FAQs -> USA -> Requirements for Renting -> Can someone else drive the car that I rent?
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I think tourist means Avis, not Alamo. The above text can be found at Avis.com by going to: Customer Service -> FAQs -> USA -> Requirements for Renting -> Can someone else drive the car that I rent?
Thanks. Found it on Avis website as you mentioned. So tourist must mean Avis.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 6:24 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
Originally Posted by yscleo
Thanks. Found it on Avis website as you mentioned. So tourist must mean Avis.
Oops! Sorry! Glad you sorted it out anyway. (I have now edited my post to help future readers.)
Old Mar 5, 2010, 5:35 pm

Additional Drivers

Hi

I read with interest your discussion on additional drivers with Avis and I believe whats being said about spouse and co-workers being covered on Avis cars without the need to register them as additional drivers. But I can't find anything in my Avis preferred online site which actually documents this. As you know legal people like to have stuff written down, so I'm surprised i can't find it. Does any one know where to look on the Avis site.

Derek
Old Mar 5, 2010, 6:10 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by derekh99
Hi

I read with interest your discussion on additional drivers with Avis and I believe whats being said about spouse and co-workers being covered on Avis cars without the need to register them as additional drivers. But I can't find anything in my Avis preferred online site which actually documents this. As you know legal people like to have stuff written down, so I'm surprised i can't find it. Does any one know where to look on the Avis site.

Derek
It's in the Avis Preferred terms (Term 3C) HERE. It's also listed HERE (Avis.com->Customer Service->FAQ->USA->Requirements for Renting->Can someone else drive the car I rent)
Old Mar 9, 2010, 10:57 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, UA 1K, AA EXP, Admirals Club, RCC, Avis First
I just rented a car from a local location and there was no charge for an additional driver. I'm not quite sure why, but definitely worth calling the desk and asking them prior to the rental period - may turn out better than you'd expected.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 8:34 pm

Programs: Former COA Silver; AVIS Chairmans Club; AOPA
Chairmans Club spouses must be "special"

Chairmans Club members can actually have a spouse pick up and drive the upgraded rental vehicle without needing the member/renter to be present.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by SantaClaraCyms
I just rented a car from a local location
If it was in California ("Santa Clara"?), that's not surprising.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA MM
The info from the web site, as quoted above, has moved but is still in effect.
See FAQ>Reservations>Rental Policies, Terms and Conditions and the Preferred contract section 4.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.