Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Seat assignments AV flight, UA award ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2022, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Recently booked a trip on Avianca metal via UA miles. I can't seem to pick a seat online. Tried to call Avianca, and they said that I couldn't reserve my seat in advance because I'd have to pay for it and their "system can't display the price"?? Which makes no sense to me.

Is this normal? Any way around it? I'd prefer not to have to wait til check-in for a redeye flight!
Old Oct 25, 2022, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
No doubt that the award ticket of another carrier complicates matters. Not the end of the world if you have to wait until check-in (like most other pax). Just do OLCI early and you will be fine.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 1:23 am

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
Originally Posted by wtphock
Recently booked a trip on Avianca metal via UA miles. I can't seem to pick a seat online. Tried to call Avianca, and they said that I couldn't reserve my seat in advance because I'd have to pay for it and their "system can't display the price"?? Which makes no sense to me.

Is this normal? Any way around it? I'd prefer not to have to wait til check-in for a redeye flight!
I have the same issue and after staying on phone for 20 minutes, the agent could not figure out how much do I need to pay to get a seat assignment.
Same issue with question about baggage check in. My United ticket (issued for Avianca) says I am allowed to check two bags for free but the agent on the phone could not verify and said, "Check at the Airport." Is this normal?

Thanks
Old Oct 31, 2022, 12:17 pm

Programs: United 1P. 880k lifetime miles, all on my own dime.
I just completed LAX-BOG using UA award miles. I'm Premier Plat hoping that would help on phone, whatsapp, etc. Tried every way possible to get seat beforehand including using the Avianca locator number on their website and still got nowhere. Ultimately at 24 hour check-in online I was able to select lie flat seat 3C on the 787. It says "free" when I picked it and confirmed after completing the check in process. Of course I'm assuming they will move to to the last row next to the lavatories by the time I get to the airport... When I showed up at LAX to check luggage they told me I need to pay US$390 to remain in the seat.

Happily paid the $390 as the lie flat bed on 787 is v nice for the 7 hour flight. It was the hoped for outcome but the cabin went out full so not being able to select in advance has risks on full flights.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Ultimately at 24 hour check-in online I was able to select lie flat seat 3C on the 787. It says "free" when I picked it and confirmed after completing the check in process. Of course I'm assuming they will move to to the last row next to the lavatories by the time I get to the airport... When I showed up at LAX to check luggage they told me I need to pay US$390 to remain in the seat.
Helpful, thanks. I guess I'll just have to stay patient and hope it works out at check-in. There was no way to pay the fee ahead of time?
Old Oct 31, 2022, 12:51 pm

Programs: United 1P. 880k lifetime miles, all on my own dime.
There was no way to pay the fee ahead of time?
If there was, I never found it.
Also regarding bag fees- they didn't charge to check a bag but not sure if that was cuz I paid up for the seat formerly known as 'business class' or cuz of United *G status.
Lastly- be sure to get food and drinks in the lounge or terminal before the flight as only water and minimal food offered on board.

Last edited by ORDSteve; Nov 7, 2022 at 1:22 pm
Old Jan 18, 2023, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Follow up here - I decided to try again closer to my flight, and I was able to select a seat assignment online, including seats in what look to be business class. I went through and tried to pay, only to result in an error. I called Avianca who said that i couldn't purchase the seat assignment because I did not purchase the ticket with them. However, the seats I selected are now showing up on my reservation on United. I guess I'll see what happens during check in / at the gate.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 6:45 pm

To the OP: How close to the flight did you find you could select seats online? I assume you did this on Avianca's web site using the Avianca record locator? We are traveling as a family of five with three children on Feb 18th using UA miles on AV and I tried calling AV today for seats and they said it was impossible and that I could only do it at checkin. Would be nice if that isn't the case since I worry about my kids ending up sitting faraway from my wife and I.

Thanks to anyone here who may have any info!
Old Jan 20, 2023, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

It was about 10 days before departure.

I'll be honest though, I truly have *no* idea what is up with this system. When I go to select a seat, the only seats available to select are in the upfront business cabin. But as stated above, when I go to pay, it won't let me. I'll give an update after check-in and what ends up happening when I board!
Old Jan 20, 2023, 9:50 pm

OK - good to know, thanks!

It was about 10 days before departure.

I'll be honest though, I truly have *no* idea what is up with this system. When I go to select a seat, the only seats available to select are in the upfront business cabin. But as stated above, when I go to pay, it won't let me. I'll give an update after check-in and what ends up happening when I board!
Old Jan 27, 2023, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Update: I was able to select layflat seats during check-in, but was unable to pay. I ended up being able to pay at the airport - $390 per ticket, which was well worth it for a redeye to me. At check-in there were probably ~8 or so layflat seats available. Hope that helps!
Old Jan 27, 2023, 7:33 pm

Update: I was able to select layflat seats during check-in, but was unable to pay. I ended up being able to pay at the airport - $390 per ticket, which was well worth it for a redeye to me. At check-in there were probably ~8 or so layflat seats available. Hope that helps!
Thanks for the update. Were there a lot of regular seats available at check-in? My biggest concern is that we are travelling with three kids and we could end up separated from each other. But I guess there's not much I can do.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brian_in_dc
Thanks for the update. Were there a lot of regular seats available at check-in? My biggest concern is that we are travelling with three kids and we could end up separated from each other. But I guess there's not much I can do.
Yep - plenty of seats to choose from. I'd just try to check-in right at T-24 to be safe.
Scott Kiwi likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Any new data points on this? Just booked AV business class using UA points and can't select seats on AV website -- says I booked with another carrier, but, of course, UA can't book seats on AV, so... I don't think I should have to pay for seat selection in business class (although my itinerary has business class + an economy leg also on AV because they don't do business on that segment)? Thanks.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by abaheti
Any new data points on this? Just booked AV business class using UA points and can't select seats on AV website -- says I booked with another carrier, but, of course, UA can't book seats on AV, so... I don't think I should have to pay for seat selection in business class (although my itinerary has business class + an economy leg also on AV because they don't do business on that segment)? Thanks.
When we traveled back in February, we were never able to get any advance seat selection. I made multiple attempts via AV and UA, but no luck. It was maddening, but I gave up and then we checked in 24 hours prior and there was a good range of seats available from which to choose in Economy. Not sure what your experience might be with business class.
abaheti likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.