Wiki Posts
Search

Messy schedule change protocols?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2022, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Messy schedule change protocols?

I just booked an award ticket for next year from Asia to the US on multiple carriers. With the increased airline schedule changes these days (compared to pre-pandemic), it seems likely that a major schedule change could happen between now and next year that will require changing/cancelling flights. For example, say the airline no longer flies that day, causing >24hr layover (not allowed).

I had such recent experiences with AA and BA's FFPs. With AA, the airline's cancelled flight caused an impossible itin, and I ended up cancelling it and booking a new award flying out of a different city and in a lower class; the customer service was responsive (though ultimately couldn't solve) and no change/cancellation fee. With BA, the flight also cancelled that day and I was rebooked on a significantly worse schedule; the tax was only $5.60, so I just cancelled the flight and I'll either lose or get back the $5.60, no biggie (I booked a new flight).

What can I expect with Lifemiles? If involuntary changes result in impossible/significantly changed itin, and I find alternative flights, how much work to get it changed? If I don't find alternatives, how much work to cancel and get miles + money back? Any DP is appreciated.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Any DPs?
Old Aug 9, 2022, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by italdesign
What can I expect with Lifemiles? If involuntary changes result in impossible/significantly changed itin, and I find alternative flights, how much work to get it changed? If I don't find alternatives, how much work to cancel and get miles + money back? Any DP is appreciated.
If you read the various reports in this forum about cancellation and schedule changes of LM awards for flights with other carriers, you will notice that trying to get rebooked will be diffucult (may even be impossible), a time consuming and frustrating experience and with no guaranteed positive outcome, i.e. you may have to cancel /accept a refund as the only option. One of the main issues is that LM can't rebook you without award inventory being available for the new flight(s). Good luck!
Old Aug 9, 2022, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
If you read the various reports in this forum about cancellation and schedule changes of LM awards for flights with other carriers, you will notice that trying to get rebooked will be diffucult (may even be impossible), a time consuming and frustrating experience and with no guaranteed positive outcome, i.e. you may have to cancel /accept a refund as the only option. One of the main issues is that LM can't rebook you without award inventory being available for the new flight(s). Good luck!
That's true of just about all programs though for partner booking, no? (at least without significant escalation). I got an email from Lifemiles saying the route cannot change. If true, that's extremely limiting. I am not sure if they meant O&D can't change, but the exact routing can. I'm curious if anyone has been able to make a routing change after involuntary changes.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 10:41 pm

That's true of just about all programs though for partner booking, no? (at least without significant escalation). I got an email from Lifemiles saying the route cannot change. If true, that's extremely limiting. I am not sure if they meant O&D can't change, but the exact routing can. I'm curious if anyone has been able to make a routing change after involuntary changes.
yes they are correct, routing cannot change so if one leg is not available you are SOL(Like if you booked IAD-MUC-JNB-MRU they will not rebook you on anything else, even if IAD-JNB-MRU is available, no matter who you speak to), and no its not true for all programs. I have had issues like that with UA/DL/AA and you will speak with agents in the US that will usually resolve a very similar issue in a few minutes. I have had that happen twice with Avianca and each time it easily took 7+ hours(no joke). God bless my phone hold feature, it will let me know when there is an agent on the line.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by libuser
yes they are correct, routing cannot change so if one leg is not available you are SOL(Like if you booked IAD-MUC-JNB-MRU they will not rebook you on anything else, even if IAD-JNB-MRU is available, no matter who you speak to)
That's terrible if they won't do that even for major involuntary changes.

and no its not true for all programs.
I was referring to the underlined portion above, about the partner must have award space for the desired change.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So in case of invol. schedule changes or cancellations the only vialble option seems to be to cancel (full refund?) and book a new itinerary from scratch?

Yes, is true for all partner bookings. Your FFP is not going to rebook into revenue class when there is no award availability.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 6:58 am

That's terrible if they won't do that even for major involuntary changes.

I was referring to the underlined portion above, about the partner must have award space for the desired change.
Yes I was referring to the same thing.
I have had issues with QR and JL not confirming space on a new flight on an AA award, and AA has been able to manually override and issue in Biz.
AF and KL on DL award , and respectively LH and AC on UA award(All of those resolved quickly for the most part). Like I said dealing with someone in the US vs Colombia is a huge difference. And if you decide to go down that road you will find out the same.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Sounds like LM is a bad choice for booking far ahead.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 9:46 am

One of the worst
Old Aug 10, 2022, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed, it is asking for troubles because schedule changes or cancellations are inevitable this far out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.