Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alcohol On Board

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2022, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Alcohol On Board

My wife and I are flying Avianca for the first time to GIG on their A320s for all legs in J. I have been reading some fairly disappointing reviews on the service these days. Since it doesn't seem they serve any decent alcohol, if any at all, can we bring a bottle of wine on board and ask them to serve us? Thanks in advance for any insight.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 4:21 am

Programs: QF, LM
Originally Posted by Los_Pepes
My wife and I are flying Avianca for the first time to GIG on their A320s for all legs in J. I have been reading some fairly disappointing reviews on the service these days. Since it doesn't seem they serve any decent alcohol, if any at all, can we bring a bottle of wine on board and ask them to serve us? Thanks in advance for any insight.
Los_Pepes (interesting handle?),

Your post is a rarity - I completely understand your desires, but it is also very "out there" due to its sheer honesty and outrageousness.

I doubt anyone in the world can give you a truly accurate and definitive answer, as there are so many factors that can go either way, either for or against you. But I will, with the experience of over 1000 flights, give you my take

Initial response: NO! Airlines all have a similar issue these days where pax playing up is simply avoided at any cost. The glorious days of flying where airlines would ply you with alcohol to make travelling in a metal tube somewhat enjoyable are long gone. In the past this was a given, and on some airlines they even included packets of cigarettes with your meal tray. But times have changed. These days they try to use hot cocoa drinks to put pax to sleep.

Think of it from the other side - an airline employee allows a pax to drink their own alcohol. And things go bad. Not suggesting this would be the case in your situation, but they would be crucified. They simply cannot risk this. I think most (all?) airlines prohibit you from drinking self-supplied items.

So again, no, no no.

Having said that, as a person who enjoys air travel with alcohol, I am guilty of breaking these rules. When on a flight where I knew the service would be restricted, I have, "in the past", brought on board my own tipple. But you do so at the peril of being found out and penalized. You do this in a stealth way and must accept that this is not kosher.

The other factor is your communication skills, IE how well you gel with the crew. If you are adept, some aircrew may make some sort of exception for you. Unlikely, but possible. Air crew are human beings.

Having said all that, enjoy your wine pre-flight. You do not say where you depart from, but if it is within South America any flight is not truly that long. So enjoy pre-flight
Old Feb 7, 2022, 6:20 am

Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
I flew from Los Angeles to Montevideo via bogota last month. No liquor in business and horrible food. However, if you have time visit the Avianca lounge in Bogota. While not luxurious, it was nice with good food and choice of adult beverages!
Old Feb 7, 2022, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by juddles
Los_Pepes (interesting handle?),

Your post is a rarity - I completely understand your desires, but it is also very "out there" due to its sheer honesty and outrageousness.

I doubt anyone in the world can give you a truly accurate and definitive answer, as there are so many factors that can go either way, either for or against you. But I will, with the experience of over 1000 flights, give you my take

Initial response: NO! Airlines all have a similar issue these days where pax playing up is simply avoided at any cost. The glorious days of flying where airlines would ply you with alcohol to make travelling in a metal tube somewhat enjoyable are long gone. In the past this was a given, and on some airlines they even included packets of cigarettes with your meal tray. But times have changed. These days they try to use hot cocoa drinks to put pax to sleep.

Think of it from the other side - an airline employee allows a pax to drink their own alcohol. And things go bad. Not suggesting this would be the case in your situation, but they would be crucified. They simply cannot risk this. I think most (all?) airlines prohibit you from drinking self-supplied items.

So again, no, no no.

Having said that, as a person who enjoys air travel with alcohol, I am guilty of breaking these rules. When on a flight where I knew the service would be restricted, I have, "in the past", brought on board my own tipple. But you do so at the peril of being found out and penalized. You do this in a stealth way and must accept that this is not kosher.

The other factor is your communication skills, IE how well you gel with the crew. If you are adept, some aircrew may make some sort of exception for you. Unlikely, but possible. Air crew are human beings.

Having said all that, enjoy your wine pre-flight. You do not say where you depart from, but if it is within South America any flight is not truly that long. So enjoy pre-flight
Thank you for your reply. I was asking initially only because there are a multitude of airlines allow you to bring aboard your own alcohol as long as the flight attendants serve you and control your consumption amount. We don't have any fight longer than 6.5 hours so I think we will survive. It is a nice to have vs a must have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.