Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2020, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
As you can imagine, the COVID-19 pandemic continues to impact the travel industry, including airlines like Avianca. In light of these challenges, Avianca announced that it has initiated reorganization proceedings under Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code. This is an important step for Avianca as it works to preserve jobs, promote the economic recovery of its core markets, and maintain connectivity and operations to continue its 100-year legacy of connecting you to the places and people that you love.

It’s important for you to know that Avianca plans to continue honoring the LifeMiles loyalty program, and has extended its frequent flyers’ Elite status through January 2022. Members will continue to earn miles on Avianca flights as well as redeem LifeMiles for Avianca tickets, or for tickets with Star Alliance and other air partners, as normal. Avianca expects tickets redeemed with miles will continue to be exempt from change penalty fees until October 2020. You can find more information on Avianca’s announcement at www.aviancawillkeeponflying.com.

Please keep in mind that LifeMiles is a separate business from Avianca. Our company has a strong financial position and our assets are well insulated from Avianca’s reorganization process. This news does not affect your member status, your miles balance or how we do business together.

LifeMiles is operating as normal, supported by our strong and growing coalition of more than 550 commercial partners and loyal member base – so you can remain confident in the value of, and ability to redeem, your miles today, tomorrow and beyond. You can continue to earn miles through your everyday purchases by using your LifeMiles credit card, and by shopping in our broad network of partners, which includes premier hotels, major car rental companies, popular restaurants, and other commercial establishments such as gas stations, supermarkets and leading apparel brands.

In addition, the miles you’ve earned are safe, ready to be redeemed whenever you’re ready to live them to the fullest – LifeMiles will not expire any miles between April 1, 2020, and December 31, 2020. I’d also emphasize that every accrual of miles extends the validity of all miles in your account for at least 12 months more. In this way, the best way for you to protect your miles is to keep earning more!

Moving forward, we understand you may have questions, and encourage you to take a look at the FAQ we have posted at www.LifeMilesNews.com.

Importantly, I want to thank you for your continued support and loyalty to LifeMiles. Our team is monitoring the COVID-19 situation closely and will be sure to share any additional updates with you. In the meantime, take care, and I look forward to helping you live your next adventure soon.

Sincerely,
Matt VincettLifeMiles Chief Executive Officer
Print Wikipost

Avíanca files for bankruptcy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2020, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by FMX
This may be a silly question, but with Avianca's bankrupcy are people still successfully using LM to fly on other *A carriers? The "post your successful bookings" thread has reports of successful *bookings* (on LH for example), but those are all either for the future or pre-bankrupcy. I haven't seen any recent mentions of people actually taking the flights.
There's a couple people who booked flights in the next month, so we should hear about that soon.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 10:53 am

I was able to fly UA Y recently using LM.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by RememberTheConcord
I was able to fly UA Y recently using LM.
What route?
Old Oct 1, 2020, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first
What route?
​​​​
Long haul US domestic.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 3:46 am

I just flew my LAX-FRA F ticket. Best $1000 I've ever spent. I was the only passenger in F.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by RememberTheConcord
​​​​
Long haul US domestic.
Oh those flights have been empty so UA wouldn't care much about them and release space to partners in Y
Old Oct 5, 2020, 9:10 pm

Good news:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKBN26Q2ZJ
Old Oct 6, 2020, 6:25 am

Programs: Krisflyer, LifeMiles
Originally Posted by fly747first
Oh those flights have been empty so UA wouldn't care much about them and release space to partners in Y
It is good news indeed.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 12:36 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Sorry to revive an old thread, but Anko is at it again...this time with SAS as they filed for Chapter 11 the day after a pilot strike.
https://www.sas.se/trafikinformation/meddelande/

Let's see if he follows his past playbook, but this thread has been interesting to read.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.