Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2020, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
As you can imagine, the COVID-19 pandemic continues to impact the travel industry, including airlines like Avianca. In light of these challenges, Avianca announced that it has initiated reorganization proceedings under Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code. This is an important step for Avianca as it works to preserve jobs, promote the economic recovery of its core markets, and maintain connectivity and operations to continue its 100-year legacy of connecting you to the places and people that you love.

It’s important for you to know that Avianca plans to continue honoring the LifeMiles loyalty program, and has extended its frequent flyers’ Elite status through January 2022. Members will continue to earn miles on Avianca flights as well as redeem LifeMiles for Avianca tickets, or for tickets with Star Alliance and other air partners, as normal. Avianca expects tickets redeemed with miles will continue to be exempt from change penalty fees until October 2020. You can find more information on Avianca’s announcement at www.aviancawillkeeponflying.com.

Please keep in mind that LifeMiles is a separate business from Avianca. Our company has a strong financial position and our assets are well insulated from Avianca’s reorganization process. This news does not affect your member status, your miles balance or how we do business together.

LifeMiles is operating as normal, supported by our strong and growing coalition of more than 550 commercial partners and loyal member base – so you can remain confident in the value of, and ability to redeem, your miles today, tomorrow and beyond. You can continue to earn miles through your everyday purchases by using your LifeMiles credit card, and by shopping in our broad network of partners, which includes premier hotels, major car rental companies, popular restaurants, and other commercial establishments such as gas stations, supermarkets and leading apparel brands.

In addition, the miles you’ve earned are safe, ready to be redeemed whenever you’re ready to live them to the fullest – LifeMiles will not expire any miles between April 1, 2020, and December 31, 2020. I’d also emphasize that every accrual of miles extends the validity of all miles in your account for at least 12 months more. In this way, the best way for you to protect your miles is to keep earning more!

Moving forward, we understand you may have questions, and encourage you to take a look at the FAQ we have posted at www.LifeMilesNews.com.

Importantly, I want to thank you for your continued support and loyalty to LifeMiles. Our team is monitoring the COVID-19 situation closely and will be sure to share any additional updates with you. In the meantime, take care, and I look forward to helping you live your next adventure soon.

Sincerely,
Matt VincettLifeMiles Chief Executive Officer
Print Wikipost

Avíanca files for bankruptcy

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2020, 7:20 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
I am curious (not being that well informed here). I was due to be flying with Avianca from GPS to UIO in June but cancelled a few weeks back (it was a UA mileage ticket so no issues). However, I am re-arranging my vacation for December and see Expedia is still selling Avianca (Ecuador) tickets from GPS - UIO and Expertflyer advises other AV services.

Surely if the are BK they can't sell tickets ? and who would want to buy them given the current situation ?
Old May 20, 2020, 9:44 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
I am curious (not being that well informed here). I was due to be flying with Avianca from GPS to UIO in June but cancelled a few weeks back (it was a UA mileage ticket so no issues). However, I am re-arranging my vacation for December and see Expedia is still selling Avianca (Ecuador) tickets from GPS - UIO and Expertflyer advises other AV services.

Surely if the are BK they can't sell tickets ? and who would want to buy them given the current situation ?
I saw that yesterday and i was surprised. They keep selling tickets even via their website!
Old May 20, 2020, 8:47 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground

Originally Posted by ermis177
I saw that yesterday and i was surprised. They keep selling tickets even via their website!
A business can and usually does continue to operate during Chapter 11 bankruptcy. It's a mechanism for debt restructuring, it's not like they liquidated or something.
Old May 20, 2020, 10:42 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
A business can and usually does continue to operate during Chapter 11 bankruptcy. It's a mechanism for debt restructuring, it's not like they liquidated or something.
I am totally oblivious to what chapter 11 entails but there is one thing i know. Good luck with getting your money back. Colombian airline going bankrupt?
Brendan likes this.
Old May 21, 2020, 4:48 pm

I checked award tickets availability for ANA flights from SFO to NRT next spring. I saw decent amount of economy awards available. Biz were hard to find. But a few F were scattered.

michaelmorio
Old May 22, 2020, 2:20 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by michaelmorio
I checked award tickets availability for ANA flights from SFO to NRT next spring. I saw decent amount of economy awards available. Biz were hard to find. But a few F were scattered.

michaelmorio
Is this in reference to reports about limited inventory? I personally haven't noticed anything gone like the earlier poster has.
Old May 22, 2020, 11:53 am

Yes, it's in response to the post #29 Andy76 posted on May 17. I thought I quoted his post but didn't. Sorry.

michaelmorio
Old May 24, 2020, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Colombia banning international flights until August 31st. Domestic flights might resume in July

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...strictest-bans
Old Jul 28, 2020, 11:11 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Any recent news on this? How long do we think they will be in business?
Old Aug 5, 2020, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Is this in reference to reports about limited inventory? I personally haven't noticed anything gone like the earlier poster has.
Award availability isn't the issue but rather, cancellations of confirmed award reservations. Many of us have seen this happened recently even when the operating carriers haven't cancelled the flights. Seems like no one wants to honor Lifemiles/Avianca-issued tickets.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by fly747first
Award availability isn't the issue but rather, cancellations of confirmed award reservations. Many of us have seen this happened recently even when the operating carriers haven't cancelled the flights. Seems like no one wants to honor Lifemiles/Avianca-issued tickets.
or it means that for tickets flown, Avianca hasn’t paid the partner airlines.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Unfortunately, as it seems, not even the domestic flights have restarted (with the exception of Ecuador, where a limited number of UIO-GYE vv flights operate). I really wonder where this leads. I understand that many countries in Latin America have high numbers of infections, but this is basically because they have such a large number of exceptions to quarantine. However, no exception to domestic air traffic, which sounds ridiculous. 😢
Old Aug 6, 2020, 3:18 am

Any updates about the London flights AV120/121? Looks bookable from oct atm but will it really restarts?
Old Aug 25, 2020, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA,US,AR,Hyatt, Hilton, holidayinn/AR Plus, DiscoPlus& JumboMas
Originally Posted by sombrachinesca
I would suggest cancellation - if you can get a refund... I have a refund now pending over a month that they will not return the money for. Credit card isn't being super helpful either.

At this point, if I get to do any traveling at all in the balance of the year, it is going to be with airlines that are more financially secure (or at least have some government backing).
You can bring action...I did it after waiting 3 month, and in 3 days they refunded all.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 1:16 pm
FMX

This may be a silly question, but with Avianca's bankrupcy are people still successfully using LM to fly on other *A carriers? The "post your successful bookings" thread has reports of successful *bookings* (on LH for example), but those are all either for the future or pre-bankrupcy. I haven't seen any recent mentions of people actually taking the flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.