Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lifemiles and infant tickets

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2020, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Lifemiles and infant tickets

Anyone booked an infant ticket on a Lifemiles award? Recent experiences?
Old Feb 17, 2020, 8:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Asked and discussed extensively.
please click through here and check all the posts on this topic.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sear...4&query=infant
Old Feb 17, 2020, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Asked and discussed extensively.
please click through here and check all the posts on this topic.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sear...4&query=infant
Link is not working, which thread?
Old Feb 18, 2020, 7:37 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by mlqsko
Anyone booked an infant ticket on a Lifemiles award? Recent experiences?
The infant ticket is a function of the carrier, not the loyalty program. As an example, if the seat is on Lufthansa please call Lufthansa. Not all carriers are created equal. Determine the options prior to booking the award ticket.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 9:21 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by mlqsko
Link is not working, which thread?
ok. seems i cant link search results.
An infant ticket at 10% of cash retail one-way price for the business/first class.
needs to be bought from the operating carrier.
Contact the operating airline to tell them that you want to BUY a ticket for your infant.
You will need a ticket for the infant issued by the operating airline, usually at the price of 10% of the full unrestricted one way cash fare.
then after booking it, and tell operating airline to link your two tickets on one record (your LifeMiles ticket and the infant’s cash ticket).
= two tickets, one booking.

as for experiences, depends of course on the specific operating airline, and how many operating airlines are on your itinerary.
you may need individual tickets for each sector operated by different airlines, but usually the first sector airline, or longest sector airline will be able to book the cash ticket all the way for your outbound/inbound.

e.g. Lifemiles award ZRH-BKK-DPS Bali in business class on LX (Swiss) then TG (Thai)
You would need to call LX and book a one way ZRH-DPS business class infant ticket in cash.
LX should be able to determine the total one way business class fare, and then charge you 10% of it.
Worst case, LX only books your infant cash ticket up to BKK and you then need to call TG to book BKK-DPS one way cash fare at 10%. (three tickets, one booking!)

In short, traveling with infants on Lifemiles awards is a tedious process, and best not used unless you are ready to put in the time and money to get award availability on a single airline.
It is usually better to just use cash tickets in such situations and avoid additional risks for your trip (including dealing with cancellations etc with separate adult and infant tickets).

What is your route, if you dont mind?
Old Feb 18, 2020, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

I don't have a specific route in mind, but I have an infant so exploring my options for future travels. Thank you for the information.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
LX is very easy and good about issuing of lap-child tickets when provided the LifeMiles ticket info for the accompanying adult to fly LX on a LifeMiles award ticket. They have rather reliably done it over the phone and issue it electronically for me.

With some other carriers using AV miles, there may be times where it has required going to the airport or an airport/airline ticketing office to issue the lap child ticket. And there are times where you think you have an electronic ticket for the lap child and even have the ticket number and yet the operating carrier can at times have problems handling the lap child ticket.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
And there are times where you think you have an electronic ticket for the lap child and even have the ticket number and yet the operating carrier can at times have problems handling the lap child ticket.
As infants are not problematic enough by themselves! LOL
Old Feb 20, 2020, 10:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
LX is very easy and good about issuing of lap-child tickets when provided the LifeMiles ticket info for the accompanying adult to fly LX on a LifeMiles award ticket. They have rather reliably done it over the phone and issue it electronically for me.

With some other carriers using AV miles, there may be times where it has required going to the airport or an airport/airline ticketing office to issue the lap child ticket. And there are times where you think you have an electronic ticket for the lap child and even have the ticket number and yet the operating carrier can at times have problems handling the lap child ticket.
Perhaps they do it so they can tell you it is not safe to have a lap child
Old Feb 20, 2020, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by knownothing
Perhaps they do it so they can tell you it is not safe to have a lap child
There definitely has been no such questionable monologue or conversation coming from them over the dozens of times when I have had this done for AV-booked award tickets for LX flights. There is also no such conversation involved coming from the major online travel agencies when making flight bookings with accompanying lap-children.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
There definitely has been no such questionable monologue or conversation coming from them over the dozens of times when I have had this done for AV-booked award tickets for LX flights. There is also no such conversation involved coming from the major online travel agencies when making flight bookings with accompanying lap-children.
That you are aware of. The fact that they make it more difficult for you answeres the question
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by knownothing
That you are aware of. The fact that they make it more difficult for you answeres the question
Given I’ve done a whole lot of these things for AV-issued award tickets for LX flights, it’s my experience speaking about lap child tickets for accompanying adults booked using AV miles. Your post seems to be groundless speculation for now at least. You’re welcome to book a dozen AV award tickets for LX flights and record the call-LX process from LX call beginning to call end for booking lap child tickets and find out if the LX contact center reps mention on their own anything about what you claim. Given I have dozens of PDFs for LX-ticketed lap child tickets traveling with accompanying adults on AV-issued award tickets, I am very confident that LX doesn’t do what you suggest and won’t do so on its own on calls seeking out lap child tickets for U2 children traveling with AV-ticketed adults.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 6:59 am

Programs: SK, LH
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
ok. seems i cant link search results.
An infant ticket at 10% of cash retail one-way price for the business/first class.
needs to be bought from the operating carrier.
Contact the operating airline to tell them that you want to BUY a ticket for your infant.
You will need a ticket for the infant issued by the operating airline, usually at the price of 10% of the full unrestricted one way cash fare.
then after booking it, and tell operating airline to link your two tickets on one record (your LifeMiles ticket and the infant’s cash ticket).
= two tickets, one booking.

as for experiences, depends of course on the specific operating airline, and how many operating airlines are on your itinerary.
you may need individual tickets for each sector operated by different airlines, but usually the first sector airline, or longest sector airline will be able to book the cash ticket all the way for your outbound/inbound.

e.g. Lifemiles award ZRH-BKK-DPS Bali in business class on LX (Swiss) then TG (Thai)
You would need to call LX and book a one way ZRH-DPS business class infant ticket in cash.
LX should be able to determine the total one way business class fare, and then charge you 10% of it.
Worst case, LX only books your infant cash ticket up to BKK and you then need to call TG to book BKK-DPS one way cash fare at 10%. (three tickets, one booking!)

In short, traveling with infants on Lifemiles awards is a tedious process, and best not used unless you are ready to put in the time and money to get award availability on a single airline.
It is usually better to just use cash tickets in such situations and avoid additional risks for your trip (including dealing with cancellations etc with separate adult and infant tickets).

What is your route, if you dont mind?
does the comment of ring the operating carrier apply to LH too - do you know by any chance please?
i am planning to buy LM and use it to book Biz tickets operated by LH
DUB-FRA-BLR-FRA-DUB
Old Oct 29, 2021, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bittihuduga
does the comment of ring the operating carrier apply to LH too - do you know by any chance please?
i am planning to buy LM and use it to book Biz tickets operated by LH
DUB-FRA-BLR-FRA-DUB
Yes, you book your LM award ticket(s) on LH and then ring them to purchase an infant ticket.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 12:12 pm

Programs: SK, LH
thanks mlqsko
i was reading on this section and noticed some messages which state LH don't allow us to buy infant ticket and add it Lifemiles PNR...again its hard to say unless we personally experience it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.