Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AV 86 BOG-LAX no longer B787

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2019, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA.AV
Every time I fly LAX-BOG I see a motley assortment of poorly dressed passengers boarding in Business at the last minute so I suspect there's quite a bit of underhanded upgrades. I did not mind on the 787 because the sleeper seats are quite private but on the awful A330, it is an unpleasant interaction.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Originally Posted by Cymbo
Every time I fly LAX-BOG I see a motley assortment of poorly dressed passengers boarding in Business at the last minute so I suspect there's quite a bit of underhanded upgrades. I did not mind on the 787 because the sleeper seats are quite private but on the awful A330, it is an unpleasant interaction.
I'm a poorly dressed J passenger, but I pay my own way (or use points).
Old Oct 25, 2019, 10:48 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
As others noted here the fact this was a 787 service was the only redeeming quality about this flight. The service isn't great and the food (in my multiple experiences) was dreadful. At least on the 787 I could get decent sleep. Now that this is switching to an A330, the only viable reason I can see for taking this flight is if I really, really need the nonstop segment. AV does not have a great A330 product.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 2:47 am

as i reviewed in another thread, its impossible for someone tall (6ft plus) to sleep on the metal extenders that come out from the foot rest (far too painful on the feet) on the A330, hopefully they retire those planes soon
Old Nov 10, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA.AV
Well I have just returned from a MDE-BOG-LAX-BOG-MDE trip in Business. Totally full planes on every leg with an employee even occupying the jump seat on the LAX-BOG segment.The A330 seats are awful. Uncomfortable and as a previous poster noted, extremely unpleasant for one's feet. Another poster questioned the fare, I paid just a fraction under $2,200 and on the day later which I would have preferred they were asking $100 more! Food BOG-LAX, Economy standard at best but the return food, vile. The driest, tasteless chicken around with plain white rice and two sprigs of Bok Choy for vegetables and a salad that McDonald's would have been scared to offer. Only redeeming feature, the usual fast and organized baggage handling at every point. Fortunately, the Star Alliance at LAX is top rate and I ate there prior to boarding, excellent soups and a classy chicken curry.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
And you haven’t seen anything yet. On my recent trip with Avianca I was sitting next to a pilot who was On duty coming back. He told me due to bad finance position Avianca is at the moment they will start cutting on food and alcohol services. I didn’t want to be rude but I am not sure how much you can cut. The food is the worst C food I ever had ( well, the panini BA used to offer was worse but that doesn’t count as it was short haul).
Old Feb 9, 2020, 3:45 pm

Programs: all
Really unhappy to find that I could only book on the awful Airbus 330 for the non-stop BOG-LAX roundtrip later this month. For a $2,000 fare I expect a quality airplane ( Boeing787 ) and a sleeper seat conformation especially for the return overnight flight. The catering continues to be dismal, Gate Gourmet = junk food, but absence of intermediate stopovers makes this flight a no-brainer. I think the new CEO of Avianca has a typical United attitude, cut service, cut costs and forget about the paying customers. He obviously was taught thrifty ways in his Netherland's homeland and is now applying those lessons in Colombia! Just wish there was a viable Star Alliance alternative.
Hi,
Would you mind telling me if the 330 was the refurnished at least? The old 330 the seats were torn and the newer 330 look nice. I watched TPG on youtube
and his 330 was old while others looked nice. They were both 2,2,2, configuration with 3 rows galley and 2 rows.
Can you share with me your experience? Did the seats just recline or angle flat.
Thanks so much, I too bought the ticket and the plane changed. I flying in April.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Terry Kaiser
Hi,
Would you mind telling me if the 330 was the refurnished at least? The old 330 the seats were torn and the newer 330 look nice. I watched TPG on youtube
and his 330 was old while others looked nice. They were both 2,2,2, configuration with 3 rows galley and 2 rows.
Can you share with me your experience? Did the seats just recline or angle flat.
Thanks so much, I too bought the ticket and the plane changed. I flying in April.
Hi Terry= I just flew AV86 on Feb 1 BOG-LAX. It was certainly the A330 the biz class seats looked like near lie flat NOT the standard recliner for US airlines in Domestic First if that helps. I downgraded my award ticket from Biz class when it was a 787 and ended up with one of the exit row seats in Coach. I thought it was a better option since the aircraft was the A330.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 12:39 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Originally Posted by PDXmilespoints503
Hi Terry= I just flew AV86 on Feb 1 BOG-LAX. It was certainly the A330 the biz class seats looked like near lie flat NOT the standard recliner for US airlines in Domestic First if that helps. I downgraded my award ticket from Biz class when it was a 787 and ended up with one of the exit row seats in Coach. I thought it was a better option since the aircraft was the A330.
Was it 2-2-2 or 1-2-1?
The 1-2-1 is the new style. The 1-2-1 would be worth the J premium if you think the 787 is worth it.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nmpls
Was it 2-2-2 or 1-2-1?
The 1-2-1 is the new style. The 1-2-1 would be worth the J premium if you think the 787 is worth it.
I am so sorry I dont remember what the lay out was...
Old Oct 17, 2021, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by nmpls
Was it 2-2-2 or 1-2-1?
The 787 with the lie flats were amazing LAX to BOG and BOG to EZE but I've heard they now service this route w the A330
Old Oct 22, 2021, 4:07 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Lifetime Plat, AV Diamond
Well thanks for calling me out

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.