Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Locked Avianca account (Issue Credit Card Charge-back?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Silver Level: DL, Non-Elite: AS, UA, AA, WN

About 2 weeks ago,

I created an Avianca account to buy some miles and redeem them immediately. I had a bit of a hard time getting tix to price out initially due to the website, then I figured the open jaw was the problem and booked a few one way tix. They ticketed just fine and I got confirmation numbers. Everything seemed fine until I showed up to the airport. Then during check in I was told the ticket wasn't valid. They sent me to the ticketing desk who then told me that I had my account locked and I needed to call the service center. We did a conference call, and the service center agent said she couldn't help me and gave me an e-mail. I sent emails to [email protected] & [email protected] 2 weeks ago without response. In the end, I had to buy 2 walk-up fares for me and my partner with LATAM because we missed our flights and return tickets as one way fares with Avianca, which more than doubled the cost of what it would have been with the purchase of the lifemiles (Avianca's fraud detection also didn't qualify as a trip cancellation reason for travel insurance either so I had to pay out of pocket).

On top of all this, Avianca has continued to give no response at all. My account is still locked despite several calls and 4 emails now, but the money I paid for the miles was charged (not pending) and the taxes for the tickets were also charged (not pending), meaning they collected the money despite flagging it for fraud. No refunds have been issued for these and since they don't respond to my emails it seems the status quo will continue. My credit card co. Another call to avianca said to write another e-mail but I'm running out of patience. I've tried other option but now I'm thinking it's about time to issue a chargeback via citibank. Has anyone had to do with with Avianca/Lifemiles? Any experiences? Would citi be willing to chargeback the avianca return that I actually flew in lieu of the miles still being locked? I don't want to chargeback LATAM because they didn't create the problem.

At this point, I'm failing to see any alternative that involve a response from Avianca so that's why I'm asking about chargbacks. With the trip being complete and I doubt Avianca will be even willing to honor the miles price for the return portion even if the respond to the e-mails based on what I've read here. Should I just wash my hands of them and be done with it? Or is there a special e-mail address/phone number where someone actually listens out there?

Last edited by Khabibul35; Dec 17, 2018 at 6:20 pm
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
Just do a chargeback against Lifemiles and move on.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Email them entitled "Chargeback re Dishonoured Ticket" and give them 7 days to refund your miles=purchase and make good on the walk-up tickets you had to buy. Mention that you will start court proceedings in California if they dont answer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.