Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Risky Air China LifeMiles Award

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by milesforhire
Great post. In addition, you are able to access it on the Air China app in the same manner (just a mobile skin of this system).

Unfortunately for me, it does not show seat information despite selecting the seat via phone. And also the app doesn't allow you to pull the reservation into mobile wallet, which would have been nice for obsessive checking/paranoia.
If you sign up for a free CheckMyTrip account it will show your booking status and seat assignment.
milesforhire likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Exclamation

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
If you sign up for a free CheckMyTrip account it will show your booking status and seat assignment.
I will check this out when I get home!
Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:02 pm

It definitely does validate a 202 ticket which is what LifeMiles issued when booked on the website. Did you book via call or email?
Via phone, but I doubt that has much to do with it.
This ticket can be seen in the Thai airways website (it includes Thai segments), and Checkmytrip. Air China has a record of it (I called to check).
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by tr3k
Via phone, but I doubt that has much to do with it.
This ticket can be seen in the Thai airways website (it includes Thai segments), and Checkmytrip. Air China has a record of it (I called to check).
I suspect that is the reason. Tickets on the website are issued as 202 tickets. Tickets on the phone are issued as 134 tickets. As to why 202 tickets validate online and 134 tickets do not I have no clue. Perhaps there was some agreement with TACA but not Avianca that resulted in the 202 tickets being supported online? Not a huge deal I guess as there are other ways to validate but a puzzle.
Old May 11, 2019, 3:29 am

I tried to book a Air china first class ticket and it won't let me book. LIFEMILES is ricky
Old May 11, 2019, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by jfeng0039
I tried to book a Air china first class ticket and it won't let me book. LIFEMILES is ricky
Hi and welcome to FlyerTalk

If you want to book Air China, make sure you have selected 'Air China' fmo the list of airlines rather than using 'smart search' or 'star alliance'.

if you select 'Air China' the booking should take you through to the passenger details to complete the booking.

If there is still a problem, let us know.
Old May 11, 2019, 1:19 pm

Thank you very much ^
Old May 20, 2019, 3:55 am

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
I suspect that is the reason. Tickets on the website are issued as 202 tickets. Tickets on the phone are issued as 134 tickets. As to why 202 tickets validate online and 134 tickets do not I have no clue. Perhaps there was some agreement with TACA but not Avianca that resulted in the 202 tickets being supported online? Not a huge deal I guess as there are other ways to validate but a puzzle.
Do you have to validate ticket? Thanks
Old May 20, 2019, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by wtcmor
Do you have to validate ticket? Thanks
No, you do not have to validate tickets. If the booking process worked as it should then the tickets are valid and there is no need to validate them on your own. Validating tickets is an extra optional step you can take to make sure everything has gone properly. It should happen by itself but I always like to double-check. If there is a problem for some reason and you spot it early you have a much better chance of fixing it than if you show up to the airport and find there is a problem.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: UR, MR, United, SPG
Just thought I'd post my experience in case anyone else stumbles across this thread. This certainly had a lot of useful information that was helpful and relived some of my doubts about booking Air China tickets using LifeMiles. Earlier this week I booked JFK-PEK-BKK in Air China business class using LifeMiles online and didn't have any issues. The next day I started reading all the previous issues with Air China canelling *A award tickets and began to have concerns. I ended up deciding to keep my reservation and make sure I had a seat assignment. Used CheckMyTrip, as suggested on this thread, and entered in my Avianca record locator, which then showed me my Air China reservation number. I did call the Air China US phone number (1-800-882-8122) and was only hold for 45 minutes (called at ~5PM PST ), but when I got through the agent did find my ticket using my Air China record locator and assigned me a seat. So I am likely good to go, but I will absolutely be double-checking my reservation up until my departure date!

Unfortunately, I will likely have to do this over the phone as I did not have any luck confirming my reservation on Air China's website or Ticket Validating. Admittedly, I did not try very hard, but attempted a few iterations of my name and could not get the system to find or confirm my reservation. As also mentioned on this thread, since I booked it online with LifeMiles, it was a ticket number starting in 202-xxxxxxxxxx. Also, CheckMyTrip shows my status as confirmed, but does not show my seat number, even after Air China assigned me a seat. However, when I click on the seat map, my seat is indeed shown as occupied. Again, I take this as a good sign and that I am likely good to go.

The last complicating factor was that I booked my wife on the same flights, but used SQ Krisflyer miles instead . Fortunately, I followed the exact same process and have her seat assignments as well. And if anyone is curious, SQ ticket numbers booked online are 618-xxxxxxxxxx. Ultimately, as much as I would love to check and re-confirm everything online, I am comfortable enough with where things are at now. I am also glad that we are on Air China on both legs, so when we check-in at JFK, we should be able to make sure that we have confirmed seat assignments on both flights and reduce the risk that we get stuck in PEK.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
You can only access the manage booking function on Air China's website if you booked yuor flight through Air China. If you book through lifemiles, singapore or a third party (expedia or the like) you have to call Air China for seat selection and other serivces.

The problems with Air China reservations and awards do not concern Lifemiles and Singapre airlines. Never had any problems, or read any problems, when booked through these channels.

What you do need to keep an eye out for is equipment changes, particularly if flying First class. Air China swaps flights around, although these are part of scheduled changes, not 'day of departure'.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: UR, MR, United, SPG
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
You can only access the manage booking function on Air China's website if you booked yuor flight through Air China. If you book through lifemiles, singapore or a third party (expedia or the like) you have to call Air China for seat selection and other serivces.

The problems with Air China reservations and awards do not concern Lifemiles and Singapre airlines. Never had any problems, or read any problems, when booked through these channels.

What you do need to keep an eye out for is equipment changes, particularly if flying First class. Air China swaps flights around, although these are part of scheduled changes, not 'day of departure'.
Got it, glad to hear there were never any major issues with Air China using LifeMiles! I only mentioned not being able to access my reservation through Air China's website since there was an earlier post claiming that they were able to do so using a 202-xxxxxxxxxx ticket number. Maybe somehow it worked for them, but that generally does not seem to be the case.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
I just booked an AirChina ticket from LAX to PEK using lifemiles. added to checkmytrip...found E ticket number 134-.....instead of 202-....
guess it changed recently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.