Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

What will happen to LHR-BOG flight after ETOPS60?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 4:47 am
Original Poster

I just read the news that the ETOPS for the problematic 787-Trent has been reduced to 60 minutes.
I took a look at the GC for E=60 (can't post a link due to the lack of posts, sorry) and to me it looks impossible to do any route for that flight.
Since I have that flight booked for a few months from now, I'm worried about what's gonna happen. Does anyone have a clue?
Old May 9, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Either of at least the following 5 things:
1. They cancel the flight
2. They switch to another aircraft type
3. They reduce payload, take more fuel and fly a long route via North America and Iceland coastline
4. They add a stopover on the US east coast.
5. They resolve the matter before your flight.
Old May 10, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: Avianca LifeMiles. Hilton (G), Meliá (G), Radisson (G). National Car (EE), Hertz (PC), Avis (PC)
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Either of at least the following 5 things:
1. They cancel the flight
2. They switch to another aircraft type
3. They reduce payload, take more fuel and fly a long route via North America and Iceland coastline
4. They add a stopover on the US east coast.
5. They resolve the matter before your flight.
#2 is the most likely. Prepare to fly on A332.
Old May 24, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
I was on AV27 MAD-BOG today. It was sort of option #3 .

The flight routing went all the way south, off the coast of Africa, overflying the Canaries and Cabo Verde, to a point off Conakry (Guinea). Then we turned to the west and crossed the Atlantic at its most narrow point between Guinea and Brazil, then followed the Brazilian coast to Belem, then the Amazonas to Manaus and then straight to Bogota. The flight time was 12 hours (gate to gate) and about 11h20' in air, so about 2 hours longer than the scheduled flying time. Together with over 1h departure delay, this resulted in a good 3h arrival delay ...

The flight was operated with a 788 and every seat was taken. So at least in terms of passenger payload no evidence of reduced payload. I think it was still within full payload range.

The information provided was a bit cryptic. They admitted that they had to use an "unusual routing for technical and meteorological reasons" (which became clear to anyone watching the AirShow), but did not elaborate on what the technical reason was. Looking at the flightpath of other AV flights to LHR/MAD, it seems that in fact the meteorological reasons made the detour much bigger than usual.

PS: Surprisingly, AV47 a few hours later took the usual, direct routing via the Azores Islands and then making landfall over Puerto Rico.

Last edited by swiss_global; May 24, 2018 at 4:37 pm
Old May 26, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
likely to avoid a storm/hurricane. flight path (link).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.