Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Please do your homework before buying Lifemiles. It is what it is... for some that's useful, for others it's not.

Biggest complaints are about
- mixed class bookings are available but now many of the suitable connections dont show
- not being able to book anything that isn't available online (there are work-arounds, see screenshot method below)
- the quality of the call center (English speaking agents are scarce, you might get thrown in a loop with call transfers within their call center)
- no stopovers (>24H) or open jaws, but you can book one way awards
- no reservations on Certain subsidiaries of Star Alliance carriers (Lufthansa Cityline, Germanwings)

Problems with ticketing / lack of confirmation screen or email
- write down the confirmation number shown on the screen after confirming your purchase.
check here: http://serviciosenlinea.avianca.com/...doReserva.aspx

Sometimes, even if you cannot see the PNR, the record may have been created, so better to call them and give them flight details you were trying to book. They can find the PNR from those details.
- ticketing usually takes place within 10-15 min of booking
- but it may also take up to 2 days
- if miles have been deducted from your account and a temporary authorization has been placed on your CC, you're probably fine even if you did not see a confirmation screen
- if no e-ticket number is visible on checkmytrip.com after two days, you should contact LifeMiles. You can expedite the ticketing by emailing with your booking reference to: [email protected] after you have booked, especially if you have booked last minute flights, and need ticketing straight away

Screenshot method.
So, on a date you are looking for in the future, there is availability for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK. But not LAX-NRT-BKK.
It may be a case of the LM system not offering the through connection.

Take three screen shots - two 'available' screen shots for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK and the 'not available' screen for LAX-BKK.
Send them all off with a scan of your passport page (PDF) and LM will make the booking manually for you.

Send to these two email addresses, and CC yourself (just for your records)
[email protected]
[email protected]

Sample email:
====
Email topic: Urgent request for booking Lifemiles Award
====
Dear Sirs,

I have tried several times, over several days, but the following itinerary does not show on the website.
Please see the three attached screenshots I took just now.
Please do the manual booking First Class/Business class for xx,000 miles. (*Know how many miles the whole award should cost-here, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

The availability is only 1 seat for this date, so please process this request urgently before it is gone.

Los Angeles (LAX) - Bangkok (BKK)
Saturday August 11th 2018
NH 175 connecting to NH 807
(*Provide the specific flight numbers you want, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

My passport copy (Number xxxx, expiry 20xx/xx/xx, Nationality xxx) is attached in this email.

LifeMiles Number: xxx
First Name: xxx
Last name: xxx
Date of Birth: Month, date, year
Email: xxxx
Phone Number: +1-xxxx

Regards,
XXX
=========
Print Wikipost

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2021, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by IAH2MEL
Hello old friends - it has been about 2 years since I have been on the thread. Based in Australia certainly has mad traveling next to impossible.

With the borders slowly being opened, I remembered that I have quite a few LifeMiles points that I am trying to burn. Last week, I found a good J seat on OZ SYD-ICN on May 12, 2022 (50k direct versusing using 110k for QF via HKG). I clicked the box and was going through the payment - long story short I decided to do it later.

The problem is now that J seat is not showing up in the search anymore! Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations for how to get OZ (or AV) to release that seat again?

Hope all is well and look forward to being more active again!

-IAH2MEL
If this is the seat you think you may have 'on hold'... you could try ringing Lifemiles and see if they can find the seat by date, flight number and name. Otherwise wait 72/96 hours and see if it comes back.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Thank you! Tried to book Friday (15 Oct), so I will see if comes back online this week.

Last edited by IAH2MEL; Oct 16, 2021 at 4:59 pm Reason: incorrectly put that I booked it
Old Oct 29, 2021, 9:22 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA CK, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum, Avis Presidents
Is it normal that following a LifeMiles partner reward redemption to only receive one email with the PNR - no ticket confirmation, no pdf of the flights, no ticket numbers?

Getting a little concerned that I made a LifeMiles redemption on Turkish Airlines but have only received one email and can't see the reservation on the Turkish Airlines system.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 10:36 am

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
Originally Posted by globalflight
Is it normal that following a LifeMiles partner reward redemption to only receive one email with the PNR - no ticket confirmation, no pdf of the flights, no ticket numbers?

Getting a little concerned that I made a LifeMiles redemption on Turkish Airlines but have only received one email and can't see the reservation on the Turkish Airlines system.
I've noticed inconsistency in that regard but I've never been in a situation where I didn't have a confirmation code that would pull up the reservation with the carrier directly...
Old Oct 29, 2021, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by globalflight
Yes, yes and yes.

Originally Posted by mildfrequence
I've noticed inconsistency in that regard but I've never been in a situation where I didn't have a confirmation code that would pull up the reservation with the carrier directly...
This. You can normally pull up the reservation direct on the operating carrier's website, or via a partner airline (if their systems are compatible). Or ring Turkish and ask 'do you have a ticket number against this booking?'. While concrete confirmation can be lacking, it is unusual for LM not to have ticketed something correctly.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 6:00 pm

ugh, im stuck in a bind trying to book a flight for my father. It doesnt seem like i can book it for him using my account, i googled around to see and see people say its possible. It errors out when i select his account in my profile. I select mine and it goes through just fine.
Calling LM didnt help much, they cant see the flight, but i see it online. only thing they said i can do is to email support about it. :\
Old Oct 29, 2021, 11:46 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA Gold, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by BuBu4
ugh, im stuck in a bind trying to book a flight for my father. It doesnt seem like i can book it for him using my account, i googled around to see and see people say its possible. It errors out when i select his account in my profile. I select mine and it goes through just fine.
Calling LM didnt help much, they cant see the flight, but i see it online. only thing they said i can do is to email support about it. :\
You need to go to your Profile, Setting and scroll down to add your companion under “Travel Easier”
Old Oct 30, 2021, 12:18 pm

have done that. even created his own lifemile account to add there. no dice.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 2:04 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA Gold, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by BuBu4
have done that. even created his own lifemile account to add there. no dice.
I added my companion before and i had no issue booking for them. Not sure if that was also your case, adding companion before booking.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 3:11 pm

Programs: Velocity
[QUOTE=IAH2MEL;33650522]Hello old friends - it has been about 2 years since I have been on the thread. Based in Australia certainly has mad traveling next to impossible.

With the borders slowly being opened, I remembered that I have quite a few LifeMiles points that I am trying to burn. Last week, I found a good J seat on OZ SYD-ICN on May 12, 2022 (50k direct versusing using 110k for QF via HKG). I clicked the box and was going through the payment - long story short I decided to do it later.

The problem is now that J seat is not showing up in the search anymore! Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations for how to get OZ (or AV) to release that seat again?

-IAH2MEL[/QUOTE<]
Were you able to book?
Old Oct 31, 2021, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
[QUOTE=Notyourbag;33688467]
Originally Posted by IAH2MEL
Hello old friends - it has been about 2 years since I have been on the thread. Based in Australia certainly has mad traveling next to impossible.

-IAH2MEL[/QUOTE<]
Were you able to book?
That seat is gone. Just keep checking. There is no other way.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 1:27 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
I wouldn't be so sure. I'd definitely try to get confirmation over the phone...
Old Nov 1, 2021, 11:52 am

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, Marriott
My Lifemiles problem is this: I cannot get any Business Class travel, no matter the route or destination. That's why I accumulated so many Lifemiles. I don't want to fly coach, and I want to fly with my husband.
I did get one offer- all 305,000 points PLUS $3300!
I canceled my Banco Popular card since I wasn't continuing to earn Lifemiles that I can't use. They insist I must pay the annual fee even though I closed it within 30 days of the bill being sent.
It's not been a good experience.
Any advice is welcome.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Scott Kiwi
My Lifemiles problem is this: I cannot get any Business Class travel, no matter the route or destination. That's why I accumulated so many Lifemiles. I don't want to fly coach, and I want to fly with my husband.
I canceled my Banco Popular card since I wasn't continuing to earn Lifemiles that I can't use. They insist I must pay the annual fee even though I closed it within 30 days of the bill being sent.
Any advice is welcome.
Where are you looking to go from/to? You can use the United or Aeroplan booking engines - 'book with miles' options - to see what award seats are available for the routes you want to fly. Then cross reference that with Lifemiles. Lifemiles does have some quirks, but you might be able to send screenshots for the flights you have found via the other booking engines and they will be able to book them manually for you. Not ideal, but will get you the flights you want.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 4:18 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Scott Kiwi
Any advice is welcome.
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Where are you looking to go from/to? You can use the United or Aeroplan booking engines - 'book with miles' options - to see what award seats are available for the routes you want to fly. Then cross reference that with Lifemiles. Lifemiles does have some quirks, but you might be able to send screenshots for the flights you have found via the other booking engines and they will be able to book them manually for you. Not ideal, but will get you the flights you want.
This is great advice.

One other thing I'll say is if you find specific flights that are all on one airline, you might need to search on Lifemiles for that specific airline, instead of doing the Star Alliance Partners search. It's a weird bug I've noticed with Lifemiles quite a bit the past year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.