Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Please do your homework before buying Lifemiles. It is what it is... for some that's useful, for others it's not.

Biggest complaints are about
- mixed class bookings are available but now many of the suitable connections dont show
- not being able to book anything that isn't available online (there are work-arounds, see screenshot method below)
- the quality of the call center (English speaking agents are scarce, you might get thrown in a loop with call transfers within their call center)
- no stopovers (>24H) or open jaws, but you can book one way awards
- no reservations on Certain subsidiaries of Star Alliance carriers (Lufthansa Cityline, Germanwings)

Problems with ticketing / lack of confirmation screen or email
- write down the confirmation number shown on the screen after confirming your purchase.
check here: http://serviciosenlinea.avianca.com/...doReserva.aspx

Sometimes, even if you cannot see the PNR, the record may have been created, so better to call them and give them flight details you were trying to book. They can find the PNR from those details.
- ticketing usually takes place within 10-15 min of booking
- but it may also take up to 2 days
- if miles have been deducted from your account and a temporary authorization has been placed on your CC, you're probably fine even if you did not see a confirmation screen
- if no e-ticket number is visible on checkmytrip.com after two days, you should contact LifeMiles. You can expedite the ticketing by emailing with your booking reference to: [email protected] after you have booked, especially if you have booked last minute flights, and need ticketing straight away

Screenshot method.
So, on a date you are looking for in the future, there is availability for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK. But not LAX-NRT-BKK.
It may be a case of the LM system not offering the through connection.

Take three screen shots - two 'available' screen shots for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK and the 'not available' screen for LAX-BKK.
Send them all off with a scan of your passport page (PDF) and LM will make the booking manually for you.

Send to these two email addresses, and CC yourself (just for your records)
[email protected]
[email protected]

Sample email:
====
Email topic: Urgent request for booking Lifemiles Award
====
Dear Sirs,

I have tried several times, over several days, but the following itinerary does not show on the website.
Please see the three attached screenshots I took just now.
Please do the manual booking First Class/Business class for xx,000 miles. (*Know how many miles the whole award should cost-here, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

The availability is only 1 seat for this date, so please process this request urgently before it is gone.

Los Angeles (LAX) - Bangkok (BKK)
Saturday August 11th 2018
NH 175 connecting to NH 807
(*Provide the specific flight numbers you want, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

My passport copy (Number xxxx, expiry 20xx/xx/xx, Nationality xxx) is attached in this email.

LifeMiles Number: xxx
First Name: xxx
Last name: xxx
Date of Birth: Month, date, year
Email: xxxx
Phone Number: +1-xxxx

Regards,
XXX
=========
Print Wikipost

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2021, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Bookings can often be completed entirely on line.

For bookings that have to be completed manually, for example in your case, calling in with credit card details is standard.

IIRC - it’s been so long since i’ve done one! - during the process they will send you to an automated loop to enter your 4-digit PIN. Make sure this has been set up in advance in your LM profile (can be done on line).

It can sometimes take one or two loops for the PIN to register when they send you there.

The good thing is that you have a booking reference. That means the seats are being held for you.
On the second call I got the same line that they system was down, but they asked if I wanted to schedule a callback. Needed to enter the PIN as you described above, they verified my location (for time zone, I assume) and said I should get a call in 24-72 hours.

Not sure how long I'll wait on their call before trying again, but I think I'm done for tonight as I don't expect I'll get a different response.

Thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2021, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Nomos
On the second call I got the same line that they system was down, but they asked if I wanted to schedule a callback. Needed to enter the PIN as you described above, they verified my location (for time zone, I assume) and said I should get a call in 24-72 hours.

Not sure how long I'll wait on their call before trying again, but I think I'm done for tonight as I don't expect I'll get a different response.

Thanks!
For auto-cancel ticketing purposes, you’re probably ok to leave the booking for 24 hours or so. After that time systems can start to auto cancel unticketed reservations. Most airlines are good for 72 hours before this can start to happen.

I’d say you’re probably ok to call them back tomorrow. Which airline are you booked on?
Old Mar 30, 2021, 7:09 pm

For auto-cancel ticketing purposes, you’re probably ok to leave the booking for 24 hours or so. After that time systems can start to auto cancel unticketed reservations. Most airlines are good for 72 hours before this can start to happen.

I’d say you’re probably ok to call them back tomorrow. Which airline are you booked on?
It's operated by Turkish and United, with a layover from JFK to EWR.

Is there any rhyme or reason to which itineraries can be booked online without support from the call center? Could the mixed operators or connection with an airport change be causing problems? There was a fully TK option that had higher taxes and fees that I'd go back and book if it were to go through all online... Not sure if trying an additional booking to see if it works smoothly would cause issues.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nomos
It's operated by Turkish and United, with a layover from JFK to EWR.

Is there any rhyme or reason to which itineraries can be booked online without support from the call center? Could the mixed operators or connection with an airport change be causing problems? There was a fully TK option that had higher taxes and fees that I'd go back and book if it were to go through all online... Not sure if trying an additional booking to see if it works smoothly would cause issues.
No - it's likely it was some sort of system issue. When the system is operating normally it's usually a case that if you can see it online you can book it online.

Most of the time when the system is 'down' we don't even get a confirmation code... the booking is never made and fails from the outset. So it's good you have secured the seats.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 10:07 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
Thanks for the prompt responses.. seems will go with UA and yes it’s the cheapest option currently..
looking for a OW flight from India to US and die to COVID related travel bubbles which exist currently, only direct flights between these countries are allowed which basically mean flights on Air India or United and UA MP is showing very good flights routings and cheaper than Air India for the route and dates I am looking.
Aeroplan is charging much more for same flights and LM was cheaper by 5k miles + $20 appx.
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
My mistake. I assumed you had miles in both UA and LM when making this decision, but you said you'd be sending MR or UR. I might reconsider the logic I laid out only because I would never convert Chase UR to UA miles after all the devaluations and the Aeroplan partnership coming later this year.

Have you checked that Lifemiles is the best pricing for your routing that you can get with AMEX MR? I would check out the new Aeroplan program. For Asia-USA it has some good value, I suspect the mileage cost will be less than UA unless this is a flight on UA metal.

Either way, if these are miles that aren't currently in Lifemiles, you should stay away from Lifemiles if you can.
I had gone with UA miles and it was a good decision as one of the connections got changed to a flight which was 10 hrs earlier and was not ideal..A call to their CS got them to rebook on an alternate day on alternate flights with the same miles even though those tickets were not available online. I am not sure that would have been possible if I booked UA flights using LM.
Thanks for the recommendation.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 11:32 am

An update and conclusion to this complicated booking process: I missed a call during a meeting and had a voicemail from LifeMiles asking to call them back. I made around 4 phone calls to LifeMiles, one hung up during the hold process, two went to Spanish-only agents, and one hung up during the hold process after being answered by a very helpful agent. After that, I got another call from a Miami area code and an agent was able to take my payment for taxes and fees and confirm the ticket. I got an emailed confirmation an hour or so later.

Thanks for the advice!
Old May 3, 2021, 11:50 pm

Just to add my experience as a data point:
I did a screenshot manual booking for a connection that wasn’t showing up online/app. Sent in my initial request on Saturday evening, got an email confirming the flights on Monday afternoon, with all the details and a PNR.
so far so good, now comes the fun part...

called the regular Avianca number and chose the LifeMiles option when prompted, spoke to an agent who couldn’t just take my credit card number and issue the ticket. Turns out they tried to call earlier but didn’t have the right number (I included the correct number in my first email).
so she corrected my number in the booking and said someone would call me on Tuesday morning. I tried to insist she take payment and issue the ticket but she kept insisting the other department would call me.
An hour later (instead of Tuesday morning), I got a call from the Miami number, and agent proceeded to issue ticket.
Entering the PIN number was a fiasco, instructions all in Spanish, and even worse call kept dropping when the system tried to hand me back to the agent. He called me back 3 times, and finally took the CC number, then told me to hold while he compiled the quotation for the taxes. This involved multiple 3-5 minute long holds, really tedious compared to all other airline redemptions in my experience. Finally he could issue the ticket and I got the email with ticket number and it was also showing up on the website of the partner airline.
Mission accomplished...!
Observations: booking with LifeMiles is not for the faint hearted, only those who see this as a game and don’t mind spending lots of time on the phone.
If manual booking is needed, I would advise to start the process at the latest 3 days before the flight, to factor in the time it takes to get a response to all the comedic errors that might occur while on the phone with them to pay for the taxes.
I asked the agent if I could have to called in from the very beginning and done the manual booking/payment/ticket issuance all in one phone call, he said yes, possible but it would incur an $80 fee.
So bottom line, if it’s an aspirational award that is scarce, like LH F, then just book right away on the phone, pay the call center fee and pray for the best.
if it’s like my situation, (X class during a global pandemic on a totally empty flight) you can wait for them to get back and as long as it is clear that you couldn’t book online, then they waive the fee.
Jaimito Cartero and juddles like this.
Old May 4, 2021, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rosenkavalier
Just to add my experience as a data point:
I did a screenshot manual booking for a connection that wasn’t showing up online/app. Sent in my initial request on Saturday evening, got an email confirming the flights on Monday afternoon, with all the details and a PNR.
so far so good, now comes the fun part...

called the regular Avianca number and chose the LifeMiles option when prompted, spoke to an agent who couldn’t just take my credit card number and issue the ticket. Turns out they tried to call earlier but didn’t have the right number (I included the correct number in my first email).
so she corrected my number in the booking and said someone would call me on Tuesday morning. I tried to insist she take payment and issue the ticket but she kept insisting the other department would call me.
An hour later (instead of Tuesday morning), I got a call from the Miami number, and agent proceeded to issue ticket.
Entering the PIN number was a fiasco, instructions all in Spanish, and even worse call kept dropping when the system tried to hand me back to the agent. He called me back 3 times, and finally took the CC number, then told me to hold while he compiled the quotation for the taxes. This involved multiple 3-5 minute long holds, really tedious compared to all other airline redemptions in my experience. Finally he could issue the ticket and I got the email with ticket number and it was also showing up on the website of the partner airline.
Mission accomplished...!
Observations: booking with LifeMiles is not for the faint hearted, only those who see this as a game and don’t mind spending lots of time on the phone.
If manual booking is needed, I would advise to start the process at the latest 3 days before the flight, to factor in the time it takes to get a response to all the comedic errors that might occur while on the phone with them to pay for the taxes.
I asked the agent if I could have to called in from the very beginning and done the manual booking/payment/ticket issuance all in one phone call, he said yes, possible but it would incur an $80 fee.
So bottom line, if it’s an aspirational award that is scarce, like LH F, then just book right away on the phone, pay the call center fee and pray for the best.
if it’s like my situation, (X class during a global pandemic on a totally empty flight) you can wait for them to get back and as long as it is clear that you couldn’t book online, then they waive the fee.
Thanks for the update.

Unless things have changed, the agent might not be right when it comes to just calling in to make the booking.

The call centre can only see what we see on line... so if you needed to send in screenshots, the call centre wouldn't be able to see the whole itinerary to ticket it. The only people that can put the flights together is the 'special department'.

Maybe they have improved their call centre interface, so it might be worth trying to see if they can do it... but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to the contrary.
Old May 4, 2021, 10:18 am

Thanks for the update.

Unless things have changed, the agent might not be right when it comes to just calling in to make the booking.

The call centre can only see what we see on line... so if you needed to send in screenshots, the call centre wouldn't be able to see the whole itinerary to ticket it. The only people that can put the flights together is the 'special department'.

Maybe they have improved their call centre interface, so it might be worth trying to see if they can do it... but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to the contrary.
yikes, that is an important detail, for time sensitive requests or situations where there is only one seat left...
I guess we just have to wait for the next person to contribute his/her data point on this...lol
I imagine with all the pent up desire to travel, once borders to Europe open for regular tourism and LH returns 748 service to the US, there will be quite a mad scramble at the beginning to access LH F awards?

If manual bookings can only be put together by the ‘special department’ I wonder if calling the Miami number directly would be a solution? It’s probably a back end office that doesn’t take public calls but perhaps worth a try? Anybody tried it before?
Old May 4, 2021, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rosenkavalier
yikes, that is an important detail, for time sensitive requests or situations where there is only one seat left...
I guess we just have to wait for the next person to contribute his/her data point on this...lol
I imagine with all the pent up desire to travel, once borders to Europe open for regular tourism and LH returns 748 service to the US, there will be quite a mad scramble at the beginning to access LH F awards?

If manual bookings can only be put together by the ‘special department’ I wonder if calling the Miami number directly would be a solution? It’s probably a back end office that doesn’t take public calls but perhaps worth a try? Anybody tried it before?
Pre-covid... yes... tried several times to 'speed up' the manual process by calling and/or emailing. The response has always been that the special department will get back.

Also pre-covid, there was some evidence to suggest manual bookings might have been done in two parts... agent A held the seat(s) before forwarding the booking to the special department to complete the booking and calculate the taxes. So the seat would disappear from inventory quite quickly (making you think you'd missed out) but then a couple days later you'd get an email from the special department with your itinerary and telling you they would call you to get payment. That happened to me with an LH F ORD-FRA connecting to an NH F to TYO.

But that two-part process wasn't always the case. Sometimes you would actually lose the seat, but in those cases the special department would usually offer an alternative. For example I tried to get the last seat on Thai airways BKK-TYO, which disappeared, but I was offered SQ BKK-SIN-TYO, which I was happy with.

In terms of booking strategy, for me it would depend on the itinerary. If I was booking LH F say ORD-FRA-AMS, but the FRA-AMS meant I needed to send in screenshots, I'd just secure and ticket the LH F online immediately and sort out my own connection. If I was booking ORD-FRA to connect with Asia or Africa, I'd just have to take my chances, but knowing the booking might not get to the special department in time.

I think because of the close in nature of LH F - only 2 weeks before - there aren't too many people willing to leave their travel plans that late. So availability is usually ok. However there is usually a difference between LM and other star carriers... United might show LH F available daily, but LM might only be 3 or 4 days out of 7. If that's the case, nothing LM will do nothing to match UA's availability either by calling or emailing.
Old May 5, 2021, 6:36 am

Here is an interesting problem:
Booked the following last year:
Old: SOF-FRA-IAD-IAH-SFO
New: SOF-FRA-IAD-ORD-SFO
The SOF-FRA flights was at 3pm then moved to 7am, but LH just canx that flight for that day with only one flight per day, a 3pm departure. The FRA-IAD flight is at 1pm so there will be a misconnect.

Spoke with them a bunch of times and the only flight avail is on OS SOF-VIE-FRA but they cant put me on it because its not how the original ticket was booked. I called that BS and pushed and HUCAd like 5 times same response. So they claim that I have to have my original routing which is total BS since the system made the change from iad-iah-sfo to iad-ord-sfo. Their response was that they have to book me on the original routing as booked even though some of the flights no longer exist??? Go figure, ironclad logic.
I wrote to FB and whatsapp and they ignored me on FB and told me to call web support on the whatsapp. Totally clueless and wont help. They also checked every single day for June for the same itin - SOF-FRA-IAD but came back with nothing. Dont want to canx since I hold the space but that will be last resort if I have to spend more hours on the phone

Issue has been resolved. FB came to the rescue. Just wrote to them what worked and where they could find avail. They called me and we issued it on the spot. So if in doubt send a msg to FB
pschafer likes this.

Last edited by libuser; May 5, 2021 at 10:06 am
Old May 5, 2021, 9:57 am

Pre-covid... yes... tried several times to 'speed up' the manual process by calling and/or emailing. The response has always been that the special department will get back.

Also pre-covid, there was some evidence to suggest manual bookings might have been done in two parts... agent A held the seat(s) before forwarding the booking to the special department to complete the booking and calculate the taxes. So the seat would disappear from inventory quite quickly (making you think you'd missed out) but then a couple days later you'd get an email from the special department with your itinerary and telling you they would call you to get payment. That happened to me with an LH F ORD-FRA connecting to an NH F to TYO.

But that two-part process wasn't always the case. Sometimes you would actually lose the seat, but in those cases the special department would usually offer an alternative. For example I tried to get the last seat on Thai airways BKK-TYO, which disappeared, but I was offered SQ BKK-SIN-TYO, which I was happy with.

In terms of booking strategy, for me it would depend on the itinerary. If I was booking LH F say ORD-FRA-AMS, but the FRA-AMS meant I needed to send in screenshots, I'd just secure and ticket the LH F online immediately and sort out my own connection. If I was booking ORD-FRA to connect with Asia or Africa, I'd just have to take my chances, but knowing the booking might not get to the special department in time.

I think because of the close in nature of LH F - only 2 weeks before - there aren't too many people willing to leave their travel plans that late. So availability is usually ok. However there is usually a difference between LM and other star carriers... United might show LH F available daily, but LM might only be 3 or 4 days out of 7. If that's the case, nothing LM will do nothing to match UA's availability either by calling or emailing.
yes that makes sense, if it’s a very scarce award then just book what you can online immediately and figure out the intra-Europe/domestic portions separately...I missed out on the days in the past when there were glitches in the online system and one could book crazy itineraries in O/I for a fraction of the mileage...I don’t even know what the actual trick was, just sometimes read about it cryptically eluded to online...
Regarding your last paragraph, if I understand correctly LifeMiles doesn’t update inventory on LH F as frequently as UA and AC do? I did notice in the past flights showing up on UA but not AV, then few days later showing up on AV as well...I guess that’s what was going on...
Old May 5, 2021, 1:56 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by libuser
Here is an interesting problem:
Booked the following last year:
Old: SOF-FRA-IAD-IAH-SFO
New: SOF-FRA-IAD-ORD-SFO
Side question. Was the original routing booked via online or was it piece together manually?
The reason I am asking is this: I never saw itin as complex as this showing up on lifemiles online search.
Old May 13, 2021, 9:26 pm

The LifeMiles website has never been easy to use but until recently I was able to pay for the taxes etc. for redemption with no problem with U.S. credit card as late as March of 2020 booking a flight Washington-Bogota. Last month I tried to book a simple Cartagena-Bogota flight with miles and paying taxes of $31 with Amex, BOA and various other cards but no luck. Customer service was also unuseful as eventually after jumping through many hoops (enter your pin number) 3 or 4 credit cards were declined as well as my sister-in-law's Colombian credit card. A call to AMEX revealed what I had suspected,. AMEX never declined any transaction with LifeMiles.

Thinking that it might be a temporary glitch, today I tried to book an international flight on a Star Alliance to Europe and no surprise when I tried to book and it declined two american credit cards. Again an hour or so on the phone and my wife (who speaks fluent spanish) was sent to the wrong place to pay and the rude clerk sent her back to the beginning. Has anyone had any success in paying their taxes on a redemption? I had no problem paying online for a regular Avianca flight in April. Is it possible that Avianca, hurting for cash, has deliberately made the process of booking a ticket impossible while they still are heavily promoting sales of their Lifemiles? Of course that would be illegal to sell useless miles. Hmmm.
Old May 14, 2021, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Seablock
The LifeMiles website has never been easy to use but until recently I was able to pay for the taxes etc. for redemption with no problem with U.S. credit card as late as March of 2020 booking a flight Washington-Bogota. Last month I tried to book a simple Cartagena-Bogota flight with miles and paying taxes of $31 with Amex, BOA and various other cards but no luck. Customer service was also unuseful as eventually after jumping through many hoops (enter your pin number) 3 or 4 credit cards were declined as well as my sister-in-law's Colombian credit card. A call to AMEX revealed what I had suspected,. AMEX never declined any transaction with LifeMiles.

Thinking that it might be a temporary glitch, today I tried to book an international flight on a Star Alliance to Europe and no surprise when I tried to book and it declined two american credit cards. Again an hour or so on the phone and my wife (who speaks fluent spanish) was sent to the wrong place to pay and the rude clerk sent her back to the beginning. Has anyone had any success in paying their taxes on a redemption? I had no problem paying online for a regular Avianca flight in April. Is it possible that Avianca, hurting for cash, has deliberately made the process of booking a ticket impossible while they still are heavily promoting sales of their Lifemiles? Of course that would be illegal to sell useless miles. Hmmm.
I paid for 3 award tickets (two separate transactions) in February with no problem. Each was about $50. Used my US Costco Citi card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.