Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

JFK-ICN 747-pax (refurbished I hope?) J seating selection?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2008, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, nobody everywhere else

Anyone have a suggestion as to which business seat on JFK-ICN 747-pax (on Dec. 24th) would be preferable? The seating map is confusing since the picture looks like old 747-pax configuration but actual available seats seem to suggest it's a new configuration: i.e. rows 20-22 on the main cabin and 8-9 and 12 on the upper cabin being available.

Possible choices for me are 8K upstairs or 21K downstairs. Too bad both window seats for row 20 are taken. Of course I will try my luck for the exit-row at check-in but I'm curious whether the main cabin or the upper cabin are more preferable. FYI, I love looking out of the windows and don't mind closed space, having to step across sleeping pax's legs without waking him/her up, etc...

TIA

Last edited by philphys; Dec 17, 2008 at 2:47 pm Reason: C?? J?? confused... -_-a
Old Dec 15, 2008, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL, UA
JFK-ICN 747 seating

I can't help you, but I am taking a Weds flight in Feb, can you post the results when you get back? I myself booked an upper deck seat (11a). I thought it would be at least quieter.

Thanks!
Old Dec 15, 2008, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

I'll definitely post my result after my trip. Looks like nothing better is opening up so I'll probably stick with the upper deck 8K.

By the way, I've got a question for adomatic: When you chose your seat, how many rows were in the upper deck with the check-in aircraft picture? I'm trying to figure out if the picture I am looking at (8 rows) is correct or not.

Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2008, 9:47 am

Upper Deck seating

Philphys,

I used Seatguru to pick out my seat. Since I'm on a *A award ticket, I had to call OZ to get my itinerary number in order to log on and pick out my seat online. But when I asked the agent on the phone about online seat selection, she said she'd book them for me.

Looking again on SeatGuru, I guess I was hoping that it's the 747-400 Combi (74E) plane, since row 11 is green!

Any details of your flight would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2008, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

I don't think you'd be happy if the plane is a combi with seatguru's seat map, since it's showing the old configuration with ancient business seats throughly hated by FTers.

Don't worry, the row 11 on that map is green because it's an exit row. And Asiana never pre-assigns an exit row, AFAIK. So you're safe there. Newer configuration (both pax and combi) has only 6 rows (3 before the exit door and 3 more after). Row 11 is the second last one of the upper deck and behind the exit row.

Refer to http://flyasiana.com/reservation/seatmap/747.htm for the new seat configurations.

Last edited by philphys; Dec 17, 2008 at 11:05 am
Old Dec 17, 2008, 7:49 am

Thanks for the info and the map! If you find a "must have" J seat, let me know and I'll try to change mine!
Old Dec 17, 2008, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Of course the exit row 10, but you'll have to ask for one at airport check-in. Other than those, judging from the seat map alone, I'd say bulkhead row 7, especially J&K since it seems to have more legroom. Cannot say it definitely since I've not actually been in the upper deck though. No idea on the main cabin seats.

I have been in 777 business cabin once and one thing I noticed is that the screen for the bulkhead seats are mounted on the bulkhead and somewhat higher than your eye-level. I would assume new 747 C would have the same arrangement.

I'll chip in again after my trip.

Last edited by philphys; Dec 17, 2008 at 2:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.