Wiki Posts
Search

Economy Smartium service onboard

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2023, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA*S, CX*S, CI*G
Economy Smartium service onboard

Just booked my first Asiana flight (TPE-ICN-JFK) post-pandemic and noted that the first 3 rows of A359 are marketed as "Smartium".
Is it similar to UA Economy+/DL Comfort+ in which you get a better seat yet the service isn't much different from the normal Economy?
(The amenity set looks the same as the one in the normal Economy)
I am trying to justify buying up to Smartium but it seems like all airport benefits one can get in Smartium are the same as a Stargold member can get.
Old May 24, 2023, 10:05 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Yes, it’s similar to UA economy+. The seat is exactly the same, but you get more legroom.
SightseeMC likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 10:23 am
GJG

Programs: UA 1K
Question on these seats, can a star alliance gold get a economy smartium seat assignment for free? If so, would the benefit extend to others travelling on the same itinerary?
Old Aug 7, 2023, 5:50 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by GJG
Question on these seats, can a star alliance gold get a economy smartium seat assignment for free? If so, would the benefit extend to others travelling on the same itinerary?
no
Old Aug 7, 2023, 6:19 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
In my experience, the airline would rather let the seats go empty as opposed to letting Star* members and Asiana members getting an opportunity to sit there. Paying the upgrade fee might be worth it as the possibility of the seat next to you being empty is much higher.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Interesting, Im getting the same thing. I paid for a Business (U) fare, but it is showing up as an Economy Smartium fare on my Okinawa-ICN flight when I log in online. I did not pay for that, I paid for a business fare. Does OZ just downgrade aircraft and sell it as a business class product? Does "Smartium" include better meals and seat selection? I can't do either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.