Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

South Korean Government Temporarily Suspends Visa Waiver Policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2020, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond *G/AC 35K *S/Marriott Bonvoy Platinum/Hilton Gold

South Korea will temporarily stop visa waiver programs for countries that bar entry to Koreans, Prime Minister Chung Sye-kyun announced Wednesday, amid concerns over a growing number of coronavirus infections coming from overseas.

A total of 148 countries have imposed entry ban on Koreans over the COVID-19 outbreak, according to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The government’s new measures will apply to 88 countries, including 34 countries with visa-free entry programs such as Australia and Canada, and 54 countries with visa waiver programs, like France, Russia and Thailand.

This leaves only a few countries, such as the US, the UK, Mexico, Ireland and Slovenia, with valid visa waiver programs.

The new policy will be implemented as soon as possible, according to a Foreign Ministry official, but the exact date is not yet known.
Seoul to suspend visa waivers for countries that ban entry on South Koreans
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:13 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
That sucks, I wonder when those countries will remove the ban to Koreans. It could take a while.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 2:01 pm

The EU has mostly lifted the visa waiver ban for Koreans but Korea has not reciprocated. As a result, I am now forced to request a visa in NY... great! Well, might as well go through it as I am pretty sure I will go to Korea from time to time with a Korean wife and a Korean family.
OccasionallyFlying likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond *G/AC 35K *S/Marriott Bonvoy Platinum/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Gasolin
The EU has mostly lifted the visa waiver ban for Koreans but Korea has not reciprocated. As a result, I am now forced to request a visa in NY... great! Well, might as well go through it as I am pretty sure I will go to Korea from time to time with a Korean wife and a Korean family.
How was your experience in getting a visa and what type of visa did you apply for?
Old Jul 22, 2020, 1:49 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Originally Posted by OccasionallyFlying
How was your experience in getting a visa and what type of visa did you apply for?
Presumably it's the F-6 marriage visa and it's actually fairly simple to get if you have income, a house, etc. You just get it in your home country if you don't live here.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by OccasionallyFlying
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Presumably it's the F-6 marriage visa and it's actually fairly simple to get if you have income, a house, etc. You just get it in your home country if you don't live here.
So I was born Korean, though I never lived there and I renounced the citizenship a long time ago. Therefore, I am apparently able to apply for a F-4 visa, which is a "visa for people of Korean Heritage". I'll see how it goes.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 9:28 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
So I was born Korean, though I never lived there and I renounced the citizenship a long time ago. Therefore, I am apparently able to apply for a F-4 visa, which is a "visa for people of Korean Heritage". I'll see how it goes.
Are you male? If so, you might need to wait until you are 41 years old before you're eligible for a F4 visa due to conscription. So, you may need to apply for the F6 visa until you're eligible for a F4 visa
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Are you male? If so, you might need to wait until you are 41 years old before you're eligible for a F4 visa due to conscription. So, you may need to apply for the F6 visa until you're eligible for a F4 visa
Yes, Gasolin be VERY careful of this. Even if you renounced, they changed the rules for almost all males. You'll find a billion different experienes but unfortunately you're at the mercy of the NY Consulate when you apply and their current rules. Don't trust the others on the Internet. Too many rule changes and variables with citizenship, parents, etc. etc.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Yes, Gasolin be VERY careful of this. Even if you renounced, they changed the rules for almost all males. You'll find a billion different experienes but unfortunately you're at the mercy of the NY Consulate when you apply and their current rules. Don't trust the others on the Internet. Too many rule changes and variables with citizenship, parents, etc. etc.
This is very true even if you were to call 1345 (Immigrations) in Korea as every representative will give you conflicting information. Best to work with the NY Consulate as they will be the ones dealing with the paperwork but there are sometimes situations where Immigration in Korea denies the completed paperwork. Hopefully, it won't be the case for you but like mikesaidyes said the rules keep changing.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
This is very true even if you were to call 1345 (Immigrations) in Korea as every representative will give you conflicting information. Best to work with the NY Consulate as they will be the ones dealing with the paperwork but there are sometimes situations where Immigration in Korea denies the completed paperwork. Hopefully, it won't be the case for you but like mikesaidyes said the rules keep changing.
Yes, I am aware, and yes, I am a male.

My situation is that:
  • I was born in Korea
  • Raised in Africa and France almost right away
  • I was granted indefinite delay for the exemption of the military duties until I return to Korea, which I never did, when I was 17
  • And I renounced my citizenship way before 2018 (around 2007?)
Apparently, thanks to me renouncing my citizenship long before 2018, it's fine for the military duties.

The NY consulate accepted the paperwork and the interview was not hard at all (I don't intend to live in Korea right now anyway, we just needed to get back to handle some personal business).
They made me choose between the quarantine facilities or the self quarantine, and as I have an address in Korea and am going back with my wife, I chose the self quarantine.

The other thing was that due to COVID, all visa take 2 weeks instead of 5 days, you have to print them yourself at home and present them with your passport, and they don't allow for multi entry visas. So I got a single entry. I am fine with that, hopefully, the visa waiver will be back next year when COVID is over.

I'll report back if I make it into the country, after I get my visa in 2 weeks!
Jimgotkp likes this.

Last edited by Gasolin; Jul 29, 2020 at 7:53 am
Old Aug 10, 2020, 5:29 pm

For what it's worth, I did get my F4 after 2 weeks. It's basically a certificate of visa issuance to present with the passport, and now I will fly out to Korea and see how the whole thing goes with the flight, the quarantine in beautiful Jeju (but what's the point with the quarantine )... I will keep you guys posted.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 8:40 am

For what it's worth, I did get my F4 after 2 weeks. It's basically a certificate of visa issuance to present with the passport, and now I will fly out to Korea and see how the whole thing goes with the flight, the quarantine in beautiful Jeju (but what's the point with the quarantine )... I will keep you guys posted.
Jelly. I would like to spend a few months in Jeju right now
Old Aug 12, 2020, 4:44 am

Oh yes they stopped doing the whole page paper visa stamp like VERY recently actually
Old Aug 17, 2020, 11:11 pm

So I landed in ICN, and since I was with my wife, it wasn't too difficult as I was treated as a Korean. Which means that they only ask for the symptoms, and after that, they take the temperature. No red flag for us, so they let us have an interview and we downloaded a self diagnosis app, where you have to put a Korean address and a number. They use that number to call the person and ask about you, the relationship, the full address, etc... it's actually pretty thorough. Once everything is checked, they fill the application and set the location on the app for gps tracking.

When you come from the US, you are allowed to connect in a car with your family as long as everyone has a mask. So my brother in law could come and pick us up. He had to come to the gate #12 and verify himself. And then we transferred to GMP.

From there, flight to CJU where you have to provide a paper that says that you passed protocol and are allowed to travel to the check in counter.

Once you land in CJU, you fill another piece of paperwork. I think I must have given the address for the quarantine at least 5 times, maybe more. And then, you do your PCR test. They send you the results the next day. All negative for both of us. That's it!

And here too, your relative can come and pick you up with a mask.

Also, I was "lucky" that I understood and can write Korean. I am not sure how someone who doesn't speak much of Korean would be able to handle the whole thing. It didn't seem very international, but maybe I am just not aware of what's prepared for foreigners.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.