Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Asiana acquired by HYUNDAI HDC starting with new management

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asiana acquired by HYUNDAI HDC starting with new management

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2020, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Gasolin
To be fair, I don't think KE is doing well. Hanjin is struggling so there is no way this is easy to do. Let's just hope it's just rumors and hearsay based on no concrete facts.

Luckily, not everyone at KE is on board, yet.

Korean Air seeking to buy Asiana Airlines
It's hard to be hopeful when OZ was already in trouble pre-COVID.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 7:55 pm

I was about to purchase a trip to get to Diamond Class on Monday. Should I just give up on that idea? I have enough points to get two business class trips to Korea. Should I burn through them instead?

What will happen to our points when one airline takes over another?
Old Nov 15, 2020, 12:46 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
To be fair, I don't think KE is doing well. Hanjin is struggling so there is no way this is easy to do. Let's just hope it's just rumors and hearsay based on no concrete facts.

Luckily, not everyone at KE is on board, yet.

Korean Air seeking to buy Asiana Airlines
Even if KE can't pull it off, what's the alternative? OZ going Korea's equivalent of Chapter 7 BK, which probably isn't better. Just like someone was saying earlier, OZ wasn't doing well even pre-COVID, and this pandemic might just be the nail in the coffin. The hope has always been some kind of bail out so that OZ can survive the tough times. Now, it looks like it might never happen.

LAX
lsquare and SightseeMC like this.

Last edited by LAX; Nov 15, 2020 at 12:50 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Nov 15, 2020, 12:49 pm
LAX

Originally Posted by Madoka
I was about to purchase a trip to get to Diamond Class on Monday. Should I just give up on that idea? I have enough points to get two business class trips to Korea. Should I burn through them instead?

What will happen to our points when one airline takes over another?
I would burn miles if you are able/willing to travel. It's usually not a bad idea to redeem miles for premium class travel anyway. While I usually don't burn miles on flights that can be had for less in cash equivalent, it's certainly different now with an airline's survival in question.

LAX
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 5:05 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by LAX
Even if KE can't pull it off, what's the alternative? OZ going Korea's equivalent of Chapter 7 BK, which probably isn't better. Just like someone was saying earlier, OZ wasn't doing well even pre-COVID, and this pandemic might just be the nail in the coffin. The hope has always been some kind of bail out so that OZ can survive the tough times. Now, it looks like it might never happen.

LAX
I still think OZ will not disappear and if the merge with KE doesn't happen, there will be other companies at some point.
A JAL type of bankruptcy and revival is also a possibility as mentioned in the article below in Korean.

https://news.mt.co.kr/mtview.php?no=...2=Ptotal&MNE_T
Old Nov 15, 2020, 7:21 pm
LAX

I still think OZ will not disappear and if the merge with KE doesn't happen, there will be other companies at some point.
A JAL type of bankruptcy and revival is also a possibility as mentioned in the article below in Korean.

I certainly hope that you are right!

LAX
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAX
I certainly hope that you are right!

LAX
As do I, but I'm starting to think if I should give up on OZ and credit my *A flights to another airline.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 10:14 pm
LAX

Originally Posted by lsquare
As do I, but I'm starting to think if I should give up on OZ and credit my *A flights to another airline.
I am contemplating this idea as well. However, without following the business aspect of OZ closely, I don't want to get ahead of myself. Plus, I really don't have any plan to travel at least until summer of 2021 at the earliest, so I do have some time to watch how it develops.

LAX
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAX
I am contemplating this idea as well. However, without following the business aspect of OZ closely, I don't want to get ahead of myself. Plus, I really don't have any plan to travel at least until summer of 2021 at the earliest, so I do have some time to watch how it develops.

LAX
Same here or basically when the vaccine is available to the general public. I suspect most countries around the world will require proof of vaccination for entry so that's sort of when I will expect to fly again. I am worried that I'll end up sinking more time and money into a sinking company. I believe any merger will just pull OZ into ST. I'm already crediting all of my ST flights to DL. I don't really want to be in KE's program. I'm really praying someone else will step in and save OZ.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 1:31 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA

It's pretty much a done deal with government playing a key role in this merge. The LCCs will merge into 1 as well.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-as...-idUKKBN27W04W

Goodbye Asiana.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
It's pretty much a done deal with government playing a key role in this merge. The LCCs will merge into 1 as well.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-as...-idUKKBN27W04W

Goodbye Asiana.
Ouch...this is going to hurt. So sad that my effort in OZ will go to waste. I don't know if I should transfer some of my Bonvoy points to ensure I'll have enough for a redemption or just wait for merger to complete and redeem once it's all KE?
Old Nov 16, 2020, 3:15 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
Ouch...this is going to hurt. So sad that my effort in OZ will go to waste. I don't know if I should transfer some of my Bonvoy points to ensure I'll have enough for a redemption or just wait for merger to complete and redeem once it's all KE?
Well, let's hope the legal battle drags out. KE ran by a family member is a recipe for a disaster anyway.

In any cases, we don't know what to do with the miles then indeed but I am more bothered by the status that is now an annual exercise.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, let's hope the legal battle drags out. KE ran by a family member is a recipe for a disaster anyway.

In any cases, we don't know what to do with the miles then indeed but I am more bothered by the status that is now an annual exercise.
Isn't the government onboard with the deal? If so, then I think this is a done deal. I probably should have saw this coming and switched programs. I think OZ have been in trouble for some time.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 9:39 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA

There's no legal battle here with government intervention. No antitrust available against the big groups in Korea.
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 11:14 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium//JAL Global Club//HH Diamond//United 1K
Which FFP are you guys thinking of transferring to? I was aiming for lifetime on Asiana, but looks like I have to pivot now
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.