Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Booking LH F one way using Asiana miles SPU - SFO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2019, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy

Hello everyone,

Total newbie here, after reading through this thread and several others, I figure I'd just ask the question.
I transferred Marriott Bonvoy points to Asiana and plan on using the 100,000 points to score two one way LH First class tickets from Split, Croatia back to SFO.

Ideal scenario:
1/30/20 or 1/31/20 SPU - MUC - SFO (flexible +- 3 days)

My question is, will it be harder to book the ticket if I am starting in Split, Croatia? Would we have a better chance of getting LH F seats if we were already in MUC?
I've researched using ITA Matri and ExpertFlyer and both seem to be telling me that trying to originate the award booking from SPU may be an issue. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by Shirleysf; Nov 5, 2019 at 11:45 pm Reason: missing info
Old Nov 6, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Shirleysf
Hello everyone,

Total newbie here, after reading through this thread and several others, I figure I'd just ask the question.
I transferred Marriott Bonvoy points to Asiana and plan on using the 100,000 points to score two one way LH First class tickets from Split, Croatia back to SFO.

Ideal scenario:
1/30/20 or 1/31/20 SPU - MUC - SFO (flexible +- 3 days)

My question is, will it be harder to book the ticket if I am starting in Split, Croatia? Would we have a better chance of getting LH F seats if we were already in MUC?
I've researched using ITA Matri and ExpertFlyer and both seem to be telling me that trying to originate the award booking from SPU may be an issue. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!
The miles cost for SPU-MUC-SFO is the same as MUC-SFO, all of Europe is 1 zone. The only restriction is 3 segments or less each way, which you are fine with in this case. You will probably pay a little more in fuel surcharges, but it won't be a huge difference. You can mix award classes (SPU-MUC in J or Y and MUC-SFO in F) no problem. If there is no award availability on the SPU-MUC segment, then you'd have to book that separately as a cash fare, but usually LH has plenty of award seats on short hauls. LH only release long haul F seats 14 days out to star alliance partners so be aware of that. The easiest way to check award availability is through United's site, make sure you are looking at the "Saver" column.
Shirleysf likes this.

Last edited by zeer0; Nov 6, 2019 at 3:20 am
Old Nov 6, 2019, 9:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL IHG PlatAMB HH Dia
LH F is really hard to get - SFO much harder than ORD etc. You should have a plan B that means another Award booking in case its nothing availible in F.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by denkigroove
LH F is really hard to get - SFO much harder than ORD etc. You should have a plan B that means another Award booking in case its nothing availible in F.
Sort of got that impression. So if I were to confirm a business class ticket, later on F becomes available, as long as it's more than 72 hrs before take off, I can pay $30 or 3000 miles to have the ticket re-issued correct?
Old Nov 7, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Shirleysf
Sort of got that impression. So if I were to confirm a business class ticket, later on F becomes available, as long as it's more than 72 hrs before take off, I can pay $30 or 3000 miles to have the ticket re-issued correct?
Yes.

You can also do something like SPU-FRA-ORD-SFO, although you might have to do United Economy for the last segment since United hardly ever releases premium award seats.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Looking at the M&M website, there are (still) seats on the Croatia Airlines morning flight to Munich on both Jan 30 & 31. Please note that it's a propellor plane and that biz class on OU doesn't guarantee you an empty seat next to you like like LH does.

The direct flight to Frankfurt from Split is also available both days in biz but will require an overnight if you want to go direct to SFO from FRA. plenty of hotels (Hilton and Sheraton are both walkable) at the airport. and then you get to use the First Class Terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.