Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Convert miles from other partners to status miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ

Hey all,

some Star Alliance members (I am aware of just one) allow the conversion of "award" to status miles.
At Asiana there are only one kind of miles, however, miles accumulated at partners are not counting towards status.
Is there any way of converting them into status miles? I, for example, have a lot of miles (150k) converted from other programs, which are now not counting towards status

Thanks!
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyersX
Hey all,

some Star Alliance members (I am aware of just one) allow the conversion of "award" to status miles.
At Asiana there are only one kind of miles, however, miles accumulated at partners are not counting towards status.
Is there any way of converting them into status miles? I, for example, have a lot of miles (150k) converted from other programs, which are now not counting towards status

Thanks!

The answer is "No".
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Star alliance partners count towards the status if I am not mistaken. All the others, no.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Gasolin
Star alliance partners count towards the status if I am not mistaken. All the others, no.
Yes, that's correct. But Star Alliance airlines and Partner airlines are two separate categories.

Generally, all partner (both airlines and other businesses) miles accumulated do not count toward status. There are a few exceptions, I believe, such as credit card spend on certain cards. But these aren't readily available to most people.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all!

If you buy a ticket with miles, do the miles you fly on that ticket at least count towards status?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:52 pm

Thanks all!

If you buy a ticket with miles, do the miles you fly on that ticket at least count towards status?
Of course not. I know of no program that allows for that.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by sol95
Of course not. I know of no program that allows for that.
1) bank points / "miles" (eg: using Citi-TYP/Chase-UR/CapitalOne-Venture to buy revenue flights and redeem those points at a fixed rate)

2) some programs allow you partially pay with miles (at a very bad rate)

eg SQ mix miles with cash, can still earn miles

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/u...ay-with-miles/
https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/u...question-35890
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Hmm...apparently that was a stupid idea to transfer all of the 150k miles into Asiana...well, afterwards you are always smarter.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:35 am

Thanks all!

What do you mean, buying tickets with miles? If you do not pay for your miles, they do not generate miles towards status.
Unless the miles you refer to are some kind of points like AMEX MR or Chase UR that are more like cash if used directly to buy tickets.
As soon as they are transferred to an airline as miles, they become regular miles and are also not generating miles towards status.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gasolin
What do you mean, buying tickets with miles?
I meant calling Asiana and telling them I want to do a round trip flight Europe <-> Northern Murica for 100k miles, deducted from my miles balance on my Asiana account.
This would mean I pay for the ticket with miles and just pay the airport fees with actual money at that point in time.
Sorry, if that wasn't clear in my question :-/
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: BA GGL IHG PlatAMB HH Dia
Hmm...apparently that was a stupid idea to transfer all of the 150k miles into Asiana...well, afterwards you are always smarter.
What was the reason to convert 150k points into OZ Miles without being familiar wit the OZ Program?
zeer0 likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by denkigroove
What was the reason to convert 150k points into OZ Miles without being familiar wit the OZ Program?
I thought I remember that purchases from partners count towards status, like purchases with the Asiana credit card. But apparently it's only purchases made _with_ the credit card.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:57 pm

I thought I remember that purchases from partners count towards status, like purchases with the Asiana credit card. But apparently it's only purchases made _with_ the credit card.
Purchase made with the credit card count toward status only for a small portion of it. Like 10k out of 30k to keep a diamond status, or something like that.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the input and clarifications!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.