Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Is a Transit Tour ending at 13:00 too tight for a 14:10 departure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:48 am
Original Poster

On the day I'm arriving, there are very few Transit Tour options for English speakers. It's nearly all Chinese and Japanese only. It looks like my only option is a 4 hour tour from 9AM-1PM. My connecting international flight to KIX leaves at 2:10PM. Is that too tight? 4 hours would be a great way to kill my LONG layover as I get in at 4:30 AM. Or will security/immigration make things too tight? When does Asiana require me to board?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
By the time you deplane and pass through immigration it should be 6ish. I would just do some sight seeing yourself instead of waiting until 9 for a tour. It's quite easy to get to the main sites in Seoul. After walking around you can have some lunch or go shopping.

Anyways you won't make your flight if it leaves at 210pm.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. It did seem tight. No way I'd do it in the US, but I've heard the big Asian airlines are much more efficient/prompt so I thought I'd at least ask.

Both my legs are through Asiana. SFO-ICN-KIX. Do I have to collect my bags when I go through immigration, or are they just checked through? What about customs?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Bags are checked straight to your final destination. Your boarding pass and carry on will be scanned since you're in transit. If you want to leave the airport then you will have to tell let someone know at the transit desk so they can point you in the right direction.

Very efficient but you can't account for lines and other mishaps.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, KE, AA, UA, *G
I agree. Trains to the city start running around 5:30, and with a 4:30 (scheduled) arrival it's possible you might be ready even before 5:30 (based on my own experience). If it were me, I'd take the AREX to Gongdeok (second last stop), transfer to line 5, get off at Gwanghwamun, and then do a solo walking tour from there. It's a great area for just wandering around. I would depart for the airport from Seoul no later than 11:15. From downtown Seoul it would take about 80 minutes including walking time, factor in another 30+ minutes for security/immigration, and if the departure is 2:10 then your boarding time is probably 1:40.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Boarding is always 30 minutes before departure whether its a 737 or an A380 for Asiana or Korean Air. And they stick to it. They don't magically board early. In the mid afternoon, it's not that busy for security. BUT let's say you cut it too close and get to the security line at 1:30 with your boarding pass. You can show it to the staff and they will let you skip the line and use the crew security lanes without a wait.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Wow, great tips! Thanks.

It sounds like they're used to travelers just taking day trips into Seoul. So, when I arrive, I'm going to go through full customs and immigration, right? If I take a day trip, will I need to go through customs/immigration again? Or is it just some shortened version since I'll have a boarding pass that shows I'm leaving that day and I should have already gone through immigration when I initially arrived?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:59 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
You'll clear immigration on arrival and again on departure.
codex57 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:42 am

Check With The Main Desk After Immigration

Originally Posted by codex57
Wow, great tips! Thanks.

It sounds like they're used to travelers just taking day trips into Seoul. So, when I arrive, I'm going to go through full customs and immigration, right? If I take a day trip, will I need to go through customs/immigration again? Or is it just some shortened version since I'll have a boarding pass that shows I'm leaving that day and I should have already gone through immigration when I initially arrived?
In a recent email conversation with the transit tour desk I asked about clearing immigration and checking for an earlier tour. They only pre-reserve 50% of the slots on the internet and reserve the rest for walk-ups on a first come, first served basis. So if you haven't already planned for a DIY trip to the city, hop over to the main transit tour desk landside after immigration and just check with them. You can always run down and catch the train if they have no room on an earlier tour.
codex57 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: A3*S, IHG Platinum, CP Gold
Originally Posted by codex57
On the day I'm arriving, there are very few Transit Tour options for English speakers. It's nearly all Chinese and Japanese only. It looks like my only option is a 4 hour tour from 9AM-1PM. My connecting international flight to KIX leaves at 2:10PM. Is that too tight? 4 hours would be a great way to kill my LONG layover as I get in at 4:30 AM. Or will security/immigration make things too tight? When does Asiana require me to board?
I tried to do a tour that was schedule to finish at 13:00 but the lady at the transit tour desk advised against it due to my 14:40 connecting flight.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. That helps confirm that it will be too tight for me. Oh well, maybe there will be some walk up short tours available when I get there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.