Wiki Posts
Search

Valid routing for an award flight?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD AB CO
Valid routing for an award flight?

I was playing around with the awardhacker site recently looking for options for a redemption from the UK to Hawaii. It came up with this as an allowed routing using OZ points -

Allowed routes
Routes Miles Need Flying Distance

LHR 3 Flights by EY
------------------->
AUH 1 Flight by EY
------------------->
ICN 1 Flight by OZ
------------------->
HNL

50,000 OZ points for that much flying in First Class, most of it on EY, seems like quite a bargain! I understand stopovers, if taken, would bump the price up a bit but it still looks very interesting. I don't have enough points in my account to check the availability / validity of the routing. Would anyone be kind enough to check to see if it really is possible to book such a routing? I don't want to transfer over a pile of SPG points and then be disappointed. Thanks!
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:16 pm
THD

Programs: OZ Lifetime-DMPL*G, AF*G, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
No on two accounts:

1. The valid exceeds the MPM by a wide margin because you travel via pacific rather than Atlantic
2. EY awards cannot be mixed with OZ awards
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD AB CO
Originally Posted by THD
No on two accounts:

1. The valid exceeds the MPM by a wide margin because you travel via pacific rather than Atlantic
2. EY awards cannot be mixed with OZ awards
Thanks for the reply. The OZ website seems to imply that it's possible to mix EY and OZ awards on the same ticket-

Notes for Reservations and Ticket Issuance
Asiana Club Members may use flight awards to enjoy flights on Asiana Airlines partners.
Ticket issuance for flight awards connected to flights of Asiana Airlines and its partners is allowed.
After the issuance of the flight awards, reissuance for flights of other airlines is not allowed.

※ Partners : Ethihad Airways

The mileage flown is obviously higher with the Pacific routing (roughly 30% more than via the Atlantic if my memory serves me correctly) but perhaps routing via OZ's home base makes it appear more reasonable / sensible to them?

Has anyone tried a dummy booking on the OZ site to see what it offers on the LHR-HNL route?

Last edited by andymac66; Nov 1, 2017 at 2:18 pm
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: OZ Diamond
I don't think you can even book partner awards on the OZ website. I assume that you have to call them up/email.

I did give it a go though for a random date and it was almost all UA, though with plenty of routing/time options, with a little bit of AC. No EY/QR.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:54 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
You can book partner *A awards on the Korean website (use Google translate) although it's a very cumbersome process, and only makes sense to do once you've found the exact award space you know is available. I'm not sure if Etihad is also bookable this way. But MPM is very strict, so I wouldn't count on any leniency just because you go through ICN.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: OZ Diamond
If you use Chrome as your browser and let it automatically translate Korean (a little popup should come up), it should be a bit easier than copying and pasting everything into Google translate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.