Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Awful Asiana lounge at HKG

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2011, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Awful Asiana lounge at HKG

I usually use the SQ or TG lounges, but had a very early (00:30) departure to Incheon and was forced to use the lounge Asiana shares with the likes of Philippine Airlines.

It was a horrifying experience -- No decent food or drink to speak of. Pre-scooped (!) Häagen-Dazs sat in glass bowls within a dingy-looking cooler. Customer service non-existent. Bathrooms only passably clean.

Asiana can do better than to use this lounge. Didn't they formerly use the G16 lounge (CX, KA)? What happened?

Whatever the case may be, this lounge is an utter disgrace to OZ as an airline. And as a very frequent flier with OZ, I am doubly disappointed...
Old Aug 11, 2011, 8:35 am

Last time I flew OZ out of HKG they used the DragonAir lounge (G16). I dont even know which you are referring too.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SirJman
I dont even know which you are referring too.
Then you obviously do not fly often enough.

Frankly, I don't understand why you felt that your unfriendly tone was necessary.

The lounge, as I have so succinctly described in my original post, is the PAL lounge. It is immediately across the hall from CX/KA's G16 location.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 9:34 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Unless the gate OZ uses moved, I thought the SQ lounge is pretty nearby. While the HKG SQ lounge is really not up to par with other *A lounges in HKG, it should be better than what OZ currently shares with PR based on the OP. What I don't understand is why airlines likes to contract with lounges outside of alliance when one within the alliance is readily available? I know this is not unique to OZ, either.

LAX
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by hairpeace

Frankly, I don't understand why you felt that your unfriendly tone was necessary.

The lounge, as I have so succinctly described in my original post, is the PAL lounge. It is immediately across the hall from CX/KA's G16 location.
Forgive me if you thought my post was condecending, but I was just saying I actually had no idea which lounge you were referring too. After flying out of HKG about 30 times, I guess I have never noticed the PAL lounge. (Granted, most of my flights out of HKG are CI or SkyTeam so I don't make it down to the G16 pier much, which is why I have never noticed a PAL lounge)

As LAX said, the SQ lounge is right at the start of that pier at HKG, and is not a far walk at all to the OZ gates. Most of the time when I fly OZ out of HKG I use that SQ lounge anyway, its dark and windowless, but they have a decent food selection.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by LAX
What I don't understand is why airlines likes to contract with lounges outside of alliance when one within the alliance is readily available? I know this is not unique to OZ, either.
The problem is cost. Although FTers know that it's possible to access other lounges with either *G or a F/J ticket, the majority will go to the designated lounge.

Chances are, the crappy lounge that OZ contracts is a lot cheaper than what SQ or UA would charge OZ per passenger (and this is assuming that SQ or UA would even contract with OZ in the first place - a lot of them will be hesitant if timings overlap with their own flights, due to overcrowding issues).

The other problem, of course, is that most of the lounges are closed by the time OZ's night flight leaves at 00:30am. I know for certain that all the Star-operated lounges are.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LAX
Unless the gate OZ uses moved, I thought the SQ lounge is pretty nearby. While the HKG SQ lounge is really not up to par with other *A lounges in HKG, it should be better than what OZ currently shares with PR based on the OP.
Most of the time when I fly OZ out of HKG I use that SQ lounge anyway, its dark and windowless, but they have a decent food selection.
As described in my original post, I too use the SQ and TG lounges. Problem here is that the SQ lounge closes about 2 hours prior to Asiana's 00:30 flight.

Originally Posted by stargold
The problem is cost. Chances are, the crappy lounge that OZ contracts is a lot cheaper than what SQ or UA would charge OZ per passenger.

The other problem, of course, is that most of the lounges are closed by the time OZ's night flight leaves at 00:30am. I know for certain that all the Star-operated lounges are.
On the night in question, I was at the SQ lounge until they closed at 10:15 pm. I asked about the TG lounge's closing time to see if it would be worth the walk to G40 but they also closed at 10:15 pm.

I was therefore forced to migrate to Asiana's pitiful offering until boarding...
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
After flying out of HKG about 30 times, I guess I have never noticed the PAL lounge.
You have never noticed a PAL lounge in HKG because there is NEVER one.

Perhaps you are the one do not fly often enough ? As there is NO PR lounge in HKG !

If you are not sure about the name of the lounge, then just say as it is, don't pretend that you know it all, as many FTers like me do frequent HKG and know what you are telling us is questionable.

What you were talking about is actually the CNAC lounge, that is the only other lounge in that area. And it is the opposite side of G16 lounge at the same level share by the same elevator/escalator to the G16 lounge. PR do use CNAC lounge as their contract lounge in HKG, so do a bunch of chinese airlines like CA, CZ, and MF.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Aug 12, 2011 at 10:56 am
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
If you are not sure about the name of the lounge, then just say as it is, don't pretend that you know it all, as many FTers like me do frequent HKG and know what you are telling us is questionable.

What you were talking about is actually the CNAC lounge, that is the only other lounge in that area. And it is the opposite side of G16 lounge at the same level share by the same elevator/escalator to the G16 lounge. PR do use CNAC lounge as their contract lounge in HKG, so do a bunch of chinese airlines like CA, CZ, and MF.
As a former Marco Polo IN, I think it is hilarious that you question my HKG savvy. Also found it funny that you found the need to edit your original post, in spite of your seemingly unshakable confidence.

How were my descriptions of the lounge being immediately across from CX/KA's G16 location inaccurate?

As for the name of the lounge, I did recall that China Southern and some others used the lounge but felt it more apropo to brand it the PAL lounge at the time of my original posting.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How were my descriptions of the lounge being immediately across from CX/KA's G16 location inaccurate?

As for the name of the lounge, I did recall that China Southern and some others used the lounge but felt it more apropo to brand it the PAL lounge at the time of my original posting.
I didn't say you make inaccurate descriptions of the lounge, it is you kept insisting it is a PAL lounge, and the truth is there is no PAL lounge in HKG. Then you are acting defensive, having an atitude like anything you said is absolutely correct, anyone could not disagree with you. No one would know what PAL lounge in HKG, as there isn't one, but if you say it is CNAC lounge, then everyone know about.

There is no such thing about you just simply called it a PAL lounge because PAL has contract of that lounge, as it is simply not accurate. Howabout I am telling you the ANA lounge in HKG is really good, would everyone know what lounge I am really talking about ?
Old Aug 12, 2011, 3:51 pm

Programs: Various
Why?

You were at this lounge and it is the CNAC lounge.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 9:53 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by Fredrik74
Why?

How come OZ is not on the list your link redirects to?

LAX
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:56 pm

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
As described in my original post, I too use the SQ and TG lounges. Problem here is that the SQ lounge closes about 2 hours prior to Asiana's 00:30 flight.

On the night in question, I was at the SQ lounge until they closed at 10:15 pm. I asked about the TG lounge's closing time to see if it would be worth the walk to G40 but they also closed at 10:15 pm.

I was therefore forced to migrate to Asiana's pitiful offering until boarding...
You should've gone for the UA lounge, they open till 00:00 due to the contracts with SA and LH for the late-night departures.

Originally Posted by LAX

LAX
That picture of the lounge entrance (with the list of airlines) is from May 2010, but from the OP's description (pre-scooped ice cream), I'm pretty sure he's referring to the CNAC Lounge. HKIA's website - http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/f...e-lounges.html - doesn't seem to reflect this change yet, so I suppose it's temporary?
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAX

LAX
It wasn't reflect on OZ site neither.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
Why?

Because it seemed at the time that a vast majority of reading material in the lounge was copies of PAL's Mabuhay Miles magazine.

Also saw a lot of PAL branding, including on cocktail napkins.

I concede that my original characterization of the lounge as "the PAL lounge" may be less than accurate; however, the brouhaha that resulted was necessary.

Originally Posted by LAX
I recall seeing Asiana branding around the magazine rack area by the lounge entrance, and posted about.

As I described earlier, this is fairly recent change -- for the worse, I might add -- so maybe that is why.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.