Community
Wiki Posts
Search

777 on ORD route

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2011, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

777 on ORD route

Do boeing 777s that are use in ORD (chicago route) have AVOD + big screen like 747 economy ?
Old Jul 7, 2011, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by deaw
Do boeing 777s that are use in ORD (chicago route) have AVOD + big screen like 747 economy ?
Only 747 has big screens for PTV in Y, 777 don't. And more thimes than not, no AVOD for ORD.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Only 747 has big screens for PTV in Y, 777 don't. And more thimes than not, no AVOD for ORD.
wow that's horrible! except IF i decide to fly ORD-ICN via LAX<3
for some reason the flight depart from LAX is more expensive!
thanks

Last edited by deaw; Jul 7, 2011 at 10:18 pm
Old Jul 8, 2011, 9:19 am

Programs: Asia Miles, Skypass
i think it's about time that asiana start replacing those old Y seats on their 777, and put in new seats with larger PTV's like the ones in their 747.

also, does anyone know if their upcoming 777's that they'll receive in the future will have large PTV's in economy?
Old Jul 8, 2011, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thekidisback
i think it's about time that asiana start replacing those old Y seats on their 777, and put in new seats with larger PTV's like the ones in their 747.

also, does anyone know if their upcoming 777's that they'll receive in the future will have large PTV's in economy?
If this is a facebook, im gonnna click "Like" for 1000 times. LOL
Old Jul 8, 2011, 7:21 pm

I'm ORD-ICN-SYD in Nov/11....No fully flat seats?

Also HKG-ICN-ORD in Jan/12.....same there?
Old Jul 9, 2011, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deaw
wow that's horrible! except IF i decide to fly ORD-ICN via LAX<3
for some reason the flight depart from LAX is more expensive!
thanks
Well the reason is LAX-ICN is more popular than ORD-ICN, if not ORD-ICN wouldn't be only 4 times a week, whereas LAX-ICN is 14 times a week.

Thru the history of ORD-ICN, it goes from 74M to 3 class 777, to 2 class 777. LAX and JFK both maintain 3 class service, so you know how good especially the premium load for ORD is, not to mention when ORD-ICN was running with 3 class, it is like the easiest route to find F awards.

Originally Posted by thekidisback
Did you see how slow OZ replacing C seat with QS ? It is like 1 per 3 months maybe ? They are 100+ times slower than UA ! Not to mention UA replace all seats in F, C, and Y on their 777, OZ is only doing for C !

Even KE use old equipment to ORD, which has 2+2 in F, F use as C, upperdeck C use for Y. When the competitor using old equipment, there is no point for OZ to use the 777 with QS and AVOD.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jul 9, 2011 at 5:09 pm
Old Jul 12, 2011, 5:53 am

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
Well the reason is LAX-ICN is more popular than ORD-ICN, if not ORD-ICN wouldn't be only 4 times a week, whereas LAX-ICN is 14 times a week.

Did you see how slow OZ replacing C seat with QS ? It is like 1 per 3 months maybe ? They are 100+ times slower than UA ! Not to mention UA replace all seats in F, C, and Y on their 777, OZ is only doing for C !

Even KE use old equipment to ORD, which has 2+2 in F, F use as C, upperdeck C use for Y. When the competitor using old equipment, there is no point for OZ to use the 777 with QS and AVOD.
OZ also has a much smaller reserve fleet than UA and has much higher utility than UA, subsequently they can only have 1 772 out of service at 1 time. UA on the other hand has 763's, 772's, and 744's sitting for long hours at a time.

I've also don KE ICN-ORD and while it didn't have the newest seats, it still had the second newest seats (1-2-1 in F/772) and not the oldest seats in service (the 744 with 2-2 in F)
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ande777emt
OZ also has a much smaller reserve fleet than UA and has much higher utility than UA, subsequently they can only have 1 772 out of service at 1 time. UA on the other hand has 763's, 772's, and 744's sitting for long hours at a time.

I've also don KE ICN-ORD and while it didn't have the newest seats, it still had the second newest seats (1-2-1 in F/772) and not the oldest seats in service (the 744 with 2-2 in F)

Maybe their management are too ambitious serving too many destinations in the first place. If they have a new product, they should try to implement at a reasonable rate (whatever cutting frequency on one route so that they can free up one plane at a time for putting in new seats) And I am sure putting the QS into the plane would take much less time than UA reconfig their 777, as UA's 777 need to rewire the entire plane to have AVOD throughout, whereas OZ doesn't even need to do that, and they are not replacing the Y seats either. Most large carriers often have planes sitting idle at a time for back up, that is not limited to UA. And if OZ didn't convert so many 74M into 74F a few years ago, things would move faster like it supposed to be too.

Actually even the KE website listed ORD-ICN-ORD is using the oldest seat. Moreover, I actually worked for those fights and the one you are talking about only goes to ORD once in a blue moon. (KE has office in ORD, but the majority of ground staff are third party, the same company also handle LO in ORD)

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jul 14, 2011 at 12:37 am
Old Jul 13, 2011, 1:35 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Somehow I don't believe OZ even intends to put the QS seats into every existing widebody. They will have two different products for a very long time IMHO. Just like most other airlines on the planet.
Oh, and I really hope they are getting rid of this ridiculous surcharges for RTWs.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 9:18 am

Most large carriers often have planes sitting idol at a time for back up, that is not limited to UA.
The word you are looking for is "idle"...

Having said that, OZ is admittedly very slow with reconfigs.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Somehow I don't believe OZ even intends to put the QS seats into every existing widebody. They will have two different products for a very long time IMHO. Just like most other airlines on the planet.
Since OZ had finished with the 2 class 777 with AVOD, I wonder if they are going to work the existing 2 class 777 that are non-AVOD, or 3 class 777, or 747, or 333 ?

The existing 2 class 777 that are non-AVOD would take the most time and money to reconfig.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 8:30 pm

Maybe their management are too ambitious serving too many destinations in the first place. If they have a new product, they should try to implement at a reasonable rate (whatever cutting frequency on one route so that they can free up one plane at a time for putting in new seats) And I am sure putting the QS into the plane would take much less time than UA reconfig their 777, as UA's 777 need to rewire the entire plane to have AVOD throughout, whereas OZ doesn't even need to do that, and they are not replacing the Y seats either. Most large carriers often have planes sitting idle at a time for back up, that is not limited to UA. And if OZ didn't convert so many 74M into 74F a few years ago, things would move faster like it supposed to be too.

Actually even the KE website listed ORD-ICN-ORD is using the oldest seat. Moreover, I actually worked for those fights and the one you are talking about only goes to ORD once in a blue moon. (KE has office in ORD, but the majority of ground staff are third party, the same company also handle LO in ORD)
I'll agree that the OZ 744 conversions were a mistake.

As far as KE is concerned, I think it's a recent change back; I checked right before my original post and it still depicted the 1-2-1 F seats (second newest product), but I see it's back to the old seats.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ande777emt

As far as KE is concerned, I think it's a recent change back; I checked right before my original post and it still depicted the 1-2-1 F seats (second newest product), but I see it's back to the old seats.
It is NOT a recent change back, as I said I actually "worked" on those flights, and kept the daily load/config sheets with me.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 5:18 pm

It is NOT a recent change back, as I said I actually "worked" on those flights, and kept the daily load/config sheets with me.
So do they still maintain decent pax load factors for a 744 or is cargo capacity a larger role in the 772 to 744 switch?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.